Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked salt?  (Read 692 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Smoked salt?
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »

I have a commercial variety that I use in a grinder. It's cubed in shape and brownish in color.

If I were to smoke my own, what kind of salt would I use? Table salt seems out of the question. Rock salt is huge (can you even eat it?). Kosher is courser, but still seems skimpy.

:help:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Smoked salt?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

I have some course (larger than a BB but smaller than a pea) Himalayan pink salt that I use in my grinder, that might work.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:45:45 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »

Coarse kosher or sea salt
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Piksil

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »

Coarse kosher or sea salt
^^+1. I used coarse sea salt, smoked at ~225* for about 10 hours just before Christmas. Took a bit of color, and a moderate (to me) amount of smoke.

Skip
Skip from IL
Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »

I recently smoked rock sea salt that goes in a grinder as well as kosher salt.  The smoked kosher salt has been great and very easy to use.  I haven't tried the smoked sea salt because I haven't gotten a grinder for it yet. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »

This is what I used. Best recollection I smoked it for about 4 hours at 225* lasted just about 3 years. Not a strong smoke taste, did turn it a little darker so you could see it it had been smoked. Why 4 hours at 225? Just cause, had no experience with it. Will go longer next time.  [ Invalid Attachment ]
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »

Smoked salt questions if I may: How deep is the salt placed on the tray to  assure the smoke is uniformly absorbed by the salt? Is periodic stirring required?  Any other suggestions welcomed.

DE

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

I just emptied the salt into a full size aluminum pan and made it fit. Didn't stir, it was pretty thin as I recall.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

DE

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »

I recently smoked rock sea salt that goes in a grinder as well as kosher salt.  The smoked kosher salt has been great and very easy to use.  I haven't tried the smoked sea salt because I haven't gotten a grinder for it yet.

I think I will smoke the kosher salt as well for the next mix of Dalmation Rub! Thanks, wish I had thought of that before.

Piksil

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »

CJ:
I bought a couple of stainless steel skillet splatter screens, and spread out the salt on those. Ended up almost 'single layer' with a single container of salt (don't recall the size of the container, sorry).
I did periodically stir the salt to try to ensure even smoke uptake, but I was handicapped using the gasser and Amaz-n tray--I think possibly I lost some smoke due to smoking over 200*?

Skip
Skip from IL
Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up