Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Bullseye  (Read 3130 times)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Rec Tec Bullseye
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a new grill.  I bought the Bullseye to replace my gas burner and most likely my Weber gas lighting charcoal grill.  Of course I still haven't figured out which smoker to buy, but that is a decision for another day.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Rec Tec Bullseye
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »

Cool. Let us know your thoughts after a few cooks. I just sold my gasser and am considering the Bullseye or possibly a Weber Performer.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

DynoDan

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »

I love my bulleye for fast grilling . Very convenient

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GatorDave

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »

Cool. Let us know your thoughts after a few cooks. I just sold my gasser and am considering the Bullseye or possibly a Weber Performer.

My Weber is essentially a performer with gas ignition.  I've had it for over 20 years and still love it.  It was definitely $400 well spent.  I'm thinking I'm going to like the pellet cooking better though.   We shall see.  I'm hopeful on this.  It seems like the Bullseye will be even less fuss than my Weber.  :)

GatorDave

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »

Well, I have the first weekend under my belt, and am extremely happy with my decision.  I bought this to replace my gas and charcoal grills, and it does an amazing job replacing them.  I also decided to try a low and slow cook with it, and was pleasantly surprised.  I can't wait till I can figure out which smoker I'm going to buy.  As great as my cooking weekend was, I did have a couple issues with the grill.  I was having an issue with heat blowing out directly on the handle due to a late part added by rec tec.  I'm building a guard to put in place today which should solve that issue.  It was causing the handle to get hot hot hot.  If I can't get the stickiness out of the handle caused by the heat, I'm going to have to get a new handle.  Ocd issues..lol.  The other issue I had was getting all of the holes to line up on the legs.  I finally gave up on putting the last two screws in because they just would not align.  I'll probably go back and drill out new holes at some point in the future, but I wanted to cook Friday.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

I am curious as to what the " late part " is and what it does other than directing heat to the handle?

Ross77

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »

I believe it was a washer. From what I’ve read the lid was too tight causing smoke to back into the hopper.

GatorDave

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »

I am curious as to what the " late part " is and what it does other than directing heat to the handle?

I think they were having an air flow issue and the fire going back towards the hopper.  They sent a little part, (in a separate bag with instructions, that gaps the lid just a touch) and the place to mount it is on the front which means that gap allows the heat to blow out directly on the handle.  I have made them aware of this, so they are looking into it.  The handle didn't seem to get hot enough to burn, but it was definitely hot enough to be very uncomfortable.

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »

I haven’t had a problem with the handle getting hot. I have however still had back pressure smoke even with the new part. I also worry about a auger/hopper fire in the bullseye in a way I never have with others. The design of it causes the pellets at the end of the auger to get glowing every time.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

GatorDave

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »

I haven’t had a problem with the handle getting hot. I have however still had back pressure smoke even with the new part. I also worry about a auger/hopper fire in the bullseye in a way I never have with others. The design of it causes the pellets at the end of the auger to get glowing every time.

One thing I learned very quickly was not to go from full hot to off on the auger feed.  When I did this on my first cook, it gradually burned pellets back into the auger tube.  Now I turn the feed down to the slowest setting and let it burn down a bit before turning off the auger feed completely.  That fixed that issue.

GatorDave

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 05:10:31 AM »

Well, I built a guard for the handle which has helped immensely.  Now I just have to be careful not to hit the guard with my hand since it does get hot enough to burn.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »

I have however still had back pressure smoke even with the new part. I also worry about a auger/hopper fire in the bullseye in a way I never have with others. The design of it causes the pellets at the end of the auger to get glowing every time.

I've only operated mine twice, both times in the 200° range.  I didn't install the lid-propping part because my lid fits loosely.  Quite a lot of smoke pours out around the edges.  So I don't have a need to vent it or first open the lid slightly before opening completely.

This is the first unit I've owned where the auger tube ends at the fire box.  As a result, I've been examining the pellets that sit at the drop zone while the fire burns down.  They appear to be slightly charred but probably not ignited.  The hopper has a clamp to hold the lid down tight that may prevent air from blowing up the auger tube and carrying fire to the hopper.

It sits on a wooden deck.  I intend to monitor it, especially during higher-temperature cooks.  If necessary, users can vacuum the hopper empty and run the auger tube empty after each cook.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »

My Bullseye is for sale.  Lit four times.  Half price.  PM me for details.

My is on Craigslist right now as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

GatorDave

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:47 PM »

Just some info on this. I got the temp up to 700 degrees on my cook today.  Ribeyes yum.

Ross77

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:57:26 PM »

So do you like it overall?  Good option for hot and fast grilling? 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up