Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bobitis on 03 May 2018
  • and proof that I'm seriously in need of help.

So, we got dry aging and wet aging. Both of which refer to fresh meat.

Is there any such thing as 'aging' after a pc of meat has been cooked? Say I sous vide a roast for 6 hrs at 130. Can it be vac sealed and aged after the fact?
  • #2 by TravlinMan on 03 May 2018
  • and proof that I'm seriously in need of help.

So, we got dry aging and wet aging. Both of which refer to fresh meat.

Is there any such thing as 'aging' after a pc of meat has been cooked? Say I sous vide a roast for 6 hrs at 130. Can it be vac sealed and aged after the fact?

Either 'wet' or 'dry', speaking for myself - I seem to continue to age.  Although a little 'sous vide' in a hot tub occasionally seems to ease some of the aging effects in the 'old' bones and muscles.. :clap:

Oh - you mean the the other form of 'aging'... :D

We return you to your regular programming...... :rotf:
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 04 May 2018
  • If you seal it and cook to pasteurization it can be kept in the fridge for weeks or frozen for longer. I have had things that I have done and after cooling quickly just stashed in the fridge and you know what happens they get moved around and 6 weeks later I found it and opened up, and used it. You will tell if it is bad when you open the bag like any other meats. Just cook like it was raw to finish.
  • #4 by ScottWood on 04 May 2018
  • If I understand your question correctly, you are not asking how long something will last after cooking but more if it will continue to get better as it "ages" after the cook?
  • #5 by Bentley on 04 May 2018
  • My guess would be no, as I think both Dry & Wet rely on enzymes breaking down as one of the processes and I do not believe that is possible after it is cooked!

• #6 by pmillen on 05 May 2018
  • I think Bentley is correct.  My father hung beef sides in a cooler to age.  At the proper temperature—35-38°—the enzymes in the meat worked their chemical magic on the meat and tenderized it.  (That would be considered dry aging.  Wet aging is when the meat is sealed in a vacuum wrap and moisture doesn't escape.  We never wet aged.)

Cooking meat probably destroys the necessary enzymes and additional aging won't take place. 

However, I don't have any in-depth knowledge or experience beyond that gained while in my father's employment more than 50 years ago.  So this post is conjecture.
  • #7 by Bobitis on 05 May 2018
  • My guess would be no, as I think both Dry & Wet rely on enzymes breaking down as one of the processes and I do not believe that is possible after it is cooked!

I did a quick googlefu on enzymes and heat. My head started hurting about 5 minutes later so I stopped. Seems enzyme activity actually increases with heat. How much, what kind, how hot... my head hurt so I stopped.
Pages:
Actions