Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 06 May 2018

• As wood scrapers are "mated" to the grate, they should be considered grate specific..Using a new wood scraper for the first time or two might be disappointing or discouraging as the scraper slides off its intended path due to no developed grooves.. Here is an easy

way to get off to an easy start: Position the scraper on the grate as if it is going to be used, making sure it is centred. With a pencil, mark the exact center of the grate bars onto the scraping end. Using a triangular file, file small notches, about 1/16" into the

wood. Place the scraper back onto the grate checking the filed grooves against the grate bars. A adjustment, left or right in a groove or two is easily done at this point. Do not file the grooves too deep, just enough to prevent the scraper from sliding off.

Finally, with a H O T grate, slide the scraper back and forth exerting downward pressure. A clean grate works best for this initial break-in. You're done.
  • #2 by Darwin on 07 May 2018
  • Great idea John.   ;)   The wire ones tend to shed like a molting duck. 
  • #3 by Canadian John on 08 May 2018

• If you are considering a wood scraper, save money and enjoy the fruits of your labour, make one. I made a few for my daughters by using salvaged hardwood from a free pallet: Cut, sand, add a hole for hanging and do the break-in. The scraping end was cut @

45º in my miter saw.  I gave the wood a coat of "teak oil" to finish it off.       
Pages:
Actions