Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by BigDave83 on 01 Jun 2018
  • Decided to do some cheese today, it is only 72 and cloudy here. I have some Swiss, Provolone, and Longhorn, using the Amazn Tray with hickory dust. I lit it at both ends and in the middle, it smoked for about 3 hours and had no issues with it staying lit.
  • #17 by reubenray on 01 Jun 2018
  • Have you had any issues with the temperature shooting way high like I had with my 5.5? 

I also noticed that at some point you removed your chimney cap.  What was the reason for doing this?
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jun 2018
  • Have you had any issues with the temperature shooting way high like I had with my 5.5? 

I also noticed that at some point you removed your chimney cap.  What was the reason for doing this?

Looks like he has the smoker under an exhaust vent.
  • #19 by BigDave83 on 01 Jun 2018
  • I have not had an issue with the temp going way up. my chicken cooks have been at 350 the ribs were 225 but it was only 4 hours, the jerky was 150 for 8+ hours. I took the cap off when I did the jerky because I had it under the hood but it smoked a lot more than the fan could pull plus what it leaked around the door.

The cap was off for my last chicken cook last weekend and the temps were pretty close, even when the water pan went dry, I wasn't paying attention to it but it wasn't smoking then all of a sudden it was, I discover that was the chicken dripping onto the hot empty water pan making the smoke.

My next cook I think I am going to fill the water pan half way or so with oil dry.

So far my only complaint is cleaning the water pan. I am happy with mine.

I don't use mine outside really, it is usually at the edge of the garage or just outside the door a bit.
Pages:
Actions