Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackstone 28  (Read 3288 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Blackstone 28
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »

Got my Blackstone 28 this week and seasoned and used it for the first time yesterday. For the price, I’m happy with it and think in will likely be around a while. I had the grease issue right away, so the mod is on order already. I’ll be posting some pics soon, so watch for replies and edits (my posts often fail if I start with pic attached).

Update:
How I personally settled on the 28" griddle. I picked the 28" after receiving a shipping damaged 36" and returning it. The 36" was bigger than I realized at 36x20 plus 2 side shelves as well as very heavy (listed at 125 shipping pounds) and I'm wasn't sure how much I'd be able to use it in the winter in Iowa. I also didn't want a tabletop type of model as I didn't think that would be big enough for me hoping to make things like pancakes and quesadillas for four at once.

The 28 is roughly 28x17 for the top with a single side shelf over the tank side. It's listed as 75 shipping pounds and that seems pretty close. It was pretty easy to manage and assemble with the weight being close to half in the top and half in the base. If I wanted to haul this to a family reunion or party, it wouldn't be a big deal to manage even by myself.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:59:55 AM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

Re: Blackstone 28
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

Unpacking and assembly:
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Is that the new and improved grease channel that's failing you?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

glitchy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Is that the new and improved grease channel that's failing you?

I’m not sure, I can’t find pics of both revisions to know which I got.

glitchy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »

Pics of seasoning, 3 cycles with organic flax oil.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:05:55 AM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 11:46:36 PM »

And first cook, some bacon.

glitchy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 12:17:54 AM »

When the bacon was done I tossed on a few burgers and onion slices. I didn’t take pics of my first two cooks for some reason (too much going on at once going in and out of house and still cleaning up bacon grease running down the leg). I learned why people use burger presses as I’ve never had burgers puff up like this, they turned out great with lots of sear. Missed a little of the wood fired flavor, but still good.

Dinner was pancakes and sausage. Was nice to cook 8 sausage patties and four pancakes at a time. Just used Pam spray and it worked well.

I do like it. I’ve never cooked on a flat top before. I’m anxious to try searing some sous vide steaks on it after seeing the burgers. It it a little susceptible to wind, When seasoning I rotated it 90 degrees each time to try to shift the hot spots each round. The hard covers that hang on the back when cooking might be in my future for some wind control since it’s always breezy here.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »

Do you have an IR gun?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »

This is the "old" style.  The new design has a hole in the center of the back of the griddle and the drip tray hangs off the back. Supposedly this fixes the issue of grease dripping down the front leg.  For the style you have, many folks form an "L" shaped stiff wire that they hang in the grease channel down into the grease tray.  the grease follows the wire into the tray.

Figures that I drew the old just buying last week :( Mine does not have a hole either to hang a wire through into the catch pan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:10:59 AM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »

Do you have an IR gun?

I do. Something in particular you want to see?

The seasoning pics lines up somewhat with what the gun showed. The front quarter doesn’t get near as hot and the center rear was always hottest.

Update: I finally resized the last seasoning pic I had and added to that post above. Gives a better idea of how it was distributing heat. If I remember correctly, the left rear was maybe 40-50 cooler than the very center rear and the right was in between.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:10:16 AM by glitchy »

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »

This is the "old" style.  The new design has a hole in the center of the back of the griddle and the drip tray hangs off the back. Supposedly this fixes the issue of grease dripping down the front leg.  For the style you have, many folks form an "L" shaped stiff wire that they hang in the grease channel down into the grease tray.  the grease follows the wire into the tray.

Figures that I drew the old just buying last week :( Mine does not have a hole either to hang a wire through into the catch pan.

Amazon has a grease slide attachment for it. Looks like it would work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Grease-Griddle-Blackstone-locking/dp/B078S2BW9N/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YC8NN0SE1V9EYJ4T8Y46

I see sschor beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:27:16 AM by WiPelletHead »
FE PG 1000

glitchy

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »

Ugh.  Well, there is a mod for sale on Amazon ($14.49), stainless steel, that fits into the trough and is fixed with a couple of allen screws.  It slides into the end over the grease tray, and has a hole, so the grease delivered over the middle of the tray.  I can't vouch for its effectiveness.  Just search "Blackstone griddle mod".

Thanks, I wish I had known about that one a little sooner as I didn't see the one with the allen screws, but had already ordered the pinch on one by backyard life gear. Probably would have liked the allen screws better to hold it on. I've also seen several photos of people just propping a soup can in there too which I might actually try since I can just toss the can after scraping everything in it when done to clean up. I just don't want to use a can if it might easily get bumped out making an even bigger mess.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:46:26 AM by glitchy »

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 12:00:19 PM »

Ugh.  Well, there is a mod for sale on Amazon ($14.49), stainless steel, that fits into the trough and is fixed with a couple of allen screws.  It slides into the end over the grease tray, and has a hole, so the grease delivered over the middle of the tray.  I can't vouch for its effectiveness.  Just search "Blackstone griddle mod".

Thanks, I wish I had known about that one a little sooner as I didn't see the one with the allen screws, but had already ordered the pinch on one by backyard life gear. Probably would have liked the allen screws better to hold it on. I've also seen several photos of people just propping a soup can in there too which I might actually try since I can just toss the can after scraping everything in it when done to clean up. I just don't want to use a can if it might easily get bumped out making an even bigger mess.

I have the slide on one and it works fine. I like it better than the allen wrench one because it is easy to slide off and run through the dishwasher.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »

Yes please!  A few questions 1st, I guess depending on the answers I will then asks for more data.

Is this supposed to be an adjustable heat griddle(flattop)?  Or is it simply on or off?
Do the heat adjustment knobs have temps on them like a gas grill?

Do you have an IR gun?

I do. Something in particular you want to see?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »

Bentleys question also made me have one. Does this come with a regulator on the hose that attaches to the propane?

It appears its the same knob control as the Blackstone pizza oven. If so, it's alot easier to control the temps with the regulator rather than the knobs. Even though the knobs in theory allow you to adjust the flame incrementally, there are actually only about 3 flame positions. High, medium, and low. The regulator is handy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up