Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Smoked" pizza  (Read 3033 times)

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
"Smoked" pizza
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »

I have the GMG pizza oven and with the controller set to 375 it gets the pizza stone to 700-750.  We are not red sauce fans so we use Creamy Pesto dressing, Siracha Ranch dressing or Pesto sauce.   I always use Resturant Depots 20oz frozen pizza dough balls, fresh motz and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning on the crust.

[ Invalid Attachment ] [/attatchment]

GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: "Smoked" pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »

Good lookin pies.  I had never seen the insert in person.

I had no idea it would get the stone that hot set on 500° much less a lower heat.  No wonder the folks I have talked to that own them like them.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

You will have to take a photo of the GMG pizza oven.  I am not sure I have ever seen it.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:55:56 PM »

Those all look fantastic.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »

Serious Pizza ..... Looks yummy!

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »

That's impressive! Good as those look, no doubt they taste even better.

The talent here is amazing, I really enjoy seeing all the different grilled and baked dishes outside of just traditional low and slow BBQ.

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »

Those pizzas look fantastic!
PZ

BBQ-Tip

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »

Love the taste of pizza on a smoker!

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:54:28 AM »

I've had very good pizza results with just a heavy pizza stone in a Traeger. But I can see that the pizza oven accessory would be even better, as it encloses the pizza, and will mean the top is also getting high heat. All the same, I like my stone, and I probably use it as much for making bread as I do for pizza.

A friend has the Uuni stand-alone pellet pizza oven, and that is superb. But I don't need another device in my BBQ area! :D
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:06 AM »

I had no idea it would get the stone that hot set on 500° much less a lower heat.  No wonder the folks I have talked to that own them like them.

It is because the pizza oven locks directly over the firebox, so all the heat is forced into the oven and the stone. The recommended grill setting of about 350-400° is because the grill thermometer is only picking up the residual heat from the oven.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

I've had very good pizza results with just a heavy pizza stone in a Traeger. But I can see that the pizza oven accessory would be even better, as it encloses the pizza, and will mean the top is also getting high heat. All the same, I like my stone, and I probably use it as much for making bread as I do for pizza.

A friend has the Uuni stand-alone pellet pizza oven, and that is superb. But I don't need another device in my BBQ area! :D
Chris the Uuni is small and doesn’t take  hardly any room at all. Plus you already have the pellets. Keep smokin Dan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:30:04 PM by Saddleman »
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »

Nice pies.  :P

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 05:06:44 AM »

I use a ‘lightly modified’ GMG pizza insert in an old Traeger lil’ Tex with digital controller on high and it makes fantastic pizzas too.  We had 9 for dinner tonight and with my wife making and me baking, we served 12 pizzas at about one every 4-5 minutes.

I’ve found that with the lid closed, the tops cook faster than the bottoms. For me, the optimum for a crispy base seems to be lid closed between pizzas (1-2 minutes), then cook with lid open with a 1/4 rotation every 30 seconds for 2 to 3 minutes depending on the amount/type of toppings. We use the bread maker for the dough.

The GMG pizza insert, minus the top and stone, makes an excellent griddle for eggs, onions, searing roasts, etc... but I’m still trying to work out a method for maintaining predictable griddle temperature. With the lid open, the probe temp drops so the controller keeps sending pellets. Maybe if I divert some of the hot air or heat to the probe (Copper pipe?), it can regulate the griddle temperature with the lid open?

Cheers, David
Traeger Pro 22 Traeger Lil Tex w/ GMG Pizza oven insert GMG Davy Crocket
Pages: [1]   Go Up