Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by slaga on 09 May 2018
  • I don't have a dehydrator. When I used my Traeger Lil Tex with the Savannah Stoker controller, I smoked my jerky between 145 and 160 for 6-8 hours, just above the food safety danger zone, to dry it out. It was impossible to do if the temperature was above 70-ish. I am looking forward to trying to duplicate that with my Copperhead 5 on much warmer days, here in South Texas. Bentley put a full size pan with ice on the bottom shelf and it lowered the cooking chamber temperatures quite a bit. Throwing some ice in the drip pan should accomplish similar results without losing the use of the lowest shelf and without adding much humidity, as long as the water does not begin to boil. I guess that is why I keep going back to putting ice in the drip pan. I think it is something I will need to do. Lord knows there is no 1 perfect way to do just about anything. In any case, I hope your jerky turns out just the way you like it. Let us know how it turns out.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018
  • Yes, I noticed how much of an impact the ice had on lowering the temps in the cabinet.  That is a great solution to getting really low temps where you could probably cold smoke cheese in the unit on the smoke setting with a pan of ice in it.  I am sure I will do that at some point.
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018
  • I have not eaten any yet, but it looks about how I like to cook it.  3 hours in the Pit Boss and 3 hours in the Cabela's 10 tray dehydrator at 160°.  I wasn't expecting much considering this was bits and pieces from a prior cook that were not used at that time.  Before I taste it, I am happy with the results so far.  This is 4 of the 6 trays.  I know some of this is venison, but there may be some beef too.  I don't remember.  I don't even know what the flavors of the marinade/cure were.  I am going to just mix them all together for pot luck jerky bags.

• #19 by BigDave83 on 09 May 2018
  • Looks great, doing mine tomorrow.

On a side note if there is anyone considering buying one Cabelas has the 7 on sale now for 449.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PIT-BOSS-SERIES-PELLET-SMOKER/2614913.uts?slotId=1
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018
  • Looks great, doing mine tomorrow.

On a side note if there is anyone considering buying one Cabelas has the 7 on sale now for 449.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PIT-BOSS-SERIES-PELLET-SMOKER/2614913.uts?slotId=1

Wow!  Great price!
  • #21 by slaga on 09 May 2018
  • Looks great!
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018
  • Looks great!

Thanks, but I can't wait to try the jerky slicer to get more consistent cut and it will be 1/4" thick.  It will make it easier to put on the trays and will be more uniform when cooked.
  • #23 by BigDave83 on 09 May 2018
  • what jerky slicer did you get?

I have a hand crank one and one that mounts to the grinder motor, most of the time I just slice by hand, I need to get a better knife though
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018

I have a hand crank one and one that mounts to the grinder motor, most of the time I just slice by hand, I need to get a better knife though

I bought the LEM one to go onto the head of my LEM meat grinder.  Have not had a chance to use either yet.
  • #25 by Bobitis on 09 May 2018

I bought the LEM one to go onto the head of my LEM meat grinder.  Have not had a chance to use either yet.

The patience of Job is strong with this one. May the LEM be with you.
  • #26 by BigDave83 on 09 May 2018
  • Similar to the one I have for the Cabelas motor. It worked well, but you still had to cut the meat to fit The nice thing with it was the top round london broils would usually go right into it. Mine did not like any type of silver skin or anything like that.
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 May 2018
  • Similar to the one I have for the Cabelas motor. It worked well, but you still had to cut the meat to fit The nice thing with it was the top round london broils would usually go right into it. Mine did not like any type of silver skin or anything like that.

Was the thickness consistent after coming through the slicer?  That is what I am expecting.
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 May 2018
  • 40% yield

• #29 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 May 2018
  • Nice post. Good info!
  • #30 by reubenray on 10 May 2018
  • How long does home made jerky stay edible vs buying store bought jerky?
Pages:
Actions