Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Brushpopper on 10 May 2018
  • I got inspired by a post by Sodaking27 and decided to try a brisket on the GMG.  I've cooked them on my old lonely stick burner, but never on the pellet grill.  I've cooked a few flats on the GMG to mediocrity, but Bonnie's sister was coming over and I was told to cook a small brisket.  Learned a long time ago to do what I'm told.  Here's what Sodaking 27 did:
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2220.0

I got what HEB calls a super trimmed brisket that was a tad over 8 lbs.  I picked it up by the point and it bent 90 degrees in the cryovac so I figured it'd be tender. 
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

Seasoned it Friday afternoon and put it on at 4 AM Saturday at 165 with a water pan in just for fun.  I used a guessed at 50/50 mix of B&B mesquite and cherry pellets.  At noon I turned it up to 200 because it was stuck at 147 IT degrees.  At some point I turned it up to 225 and by 2 it still hadn't gone up much.  I checked the Maverick probe it was barely in the meat so I guess I had pulled it out some when I added pellets.  I poked it into where it need to be and amazingly it was at 167 IT so I wrapped it in butcher paper (a first and not last time).  By 5 I realized I wasn't gonna make it by 7 so I cranked it up to 250 and started worrying.  At 6 it was 205 IT and fairly easy to probe with a cheapo thermometer, so I pulled it and put it in an aluminum pan still in the butcher paper and covered the pan with foil.  Then I wrapped it in an old blanket while the poppers cooked.  Sliced it at 7 (poorly I have to add).
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

It turned out really well despite my stumbling and inability.  I think the butcher paper saved me.  It was moist and tender and Bonnie was happy with it (WHEW).  She wants another one soon and I'm going to put it on sooner and start working the temp up slowly earlier than noon.  It was a fun cook and my longest by far.  I had a good time and had a few cold beverages.  :beer:  I'll probably turn the next one into boot leather, but I'll have a good time doing it!  Hope it wasn't beginner's luck.  Thanks Sodaking27 for the inspiration!
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 May 2018
  • Nice work.  This stuff vac seals good so you can always make it in advance and freeze if you are short on time.
  • #3 by Bentley on 10 May 2018
  • Looks like a pretty good cook!
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 10 May 2018
  • Thanks y'all! 

Nice job and nice smoke ring. Through the years I have found that brisket really benefits from a longer than normal rest...2 hours is better than 1, 3 is better than 2, etc...wrapped in foil and in a Cambro or cooler with towels will hold for easily 4-5 hours...

Next one I'm going to put on before I go to bed and slowly bring the temp up throughout the day just to see what happens.  I figured if it's done at 3 I could always let it rest for a long time with insulation of some sort.  I know rest never hurt me none.  I don't have any coolers big enough to hold even a little one in a foil pan so I need to come up with something for resting it for several hours.

Nice work.  This stuff vac seals good so you can always make it in advance and freeze if you are short on time.

No need to vac seal this one.  I ate the last of it for lunch today.  The flat was mighty tasty even heated in the microwave.  I sent about a pound home with the SIL so we wouldn't be eating on it for a week.  That translates into me eating it.  The teen girls want something cooked fresh every night for supper.  Good thing they can make pasta.  I would've starved to death trying to request that as a teen. 

I think using the cherry helped with the color of it, too.  Pure speculation though.  Which means more testing is required.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 11 May 2018

• Taste and tenderness is what it's all about - you made it..You now qualify as a true Texan!
  • #6 by Redapple on 23 Sep 2018
  • Hi Brushpopper,

Just cooked a Wagyu on my GMG DB yesterday. Trimmed and seasoned @ 2:00 am, Started the GMG at 3:30, and put it on @ 4am.
    Seasoned rubbed it down with a good solid coat of Worcestershire as a binder, then liberally add salt pepper, garlic and Montreal steak seasoning.

Put on the GMG DB at 190 until IT of 165 (cooked fat side down first 5 hours, then fat side up for 3, then back to fat side down) Fat side down in pan as well.

Placed in covered alum pan with 1/8 cup Worcestershire, 2 cups water, 1/8 cup A1, 3 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon coriander. Added more Montreal steak seasoning.

Raised temp to 235 until IT of 195, removed and wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours
    Total cook time was 12.5 hours, moist and tender!

Sliced and served at 6pm, Excellent!

Wish I took pics, but I didn't.

I have found that the GMG DB does much better at lower temps, more smoke and more stable (my experience). Been using mine for a touch over 4 years now. Made some pretty damm good food on it.
  • #7 by Brushpopper on 23 Sep 2018
  • Glad y'all enjoyed it! 
Pages:
Actions