Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke and Sous Vide Rib Roast  (Read 1698 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Smoke and Sous Vide Rib Roast
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »

I have about a 5# rib roast that I plan to smoke for a few hours tomorrow after trimming it off of the bone.  I then plan to sous vide at 135°.  What would you recommend the length of time I sous vide?  I plan to then refrigerate and slice for sandwiches.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Smoke and Sous Vide Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »

I sent a PM with a couple things that might help you.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »

Got it.  Thanks.  I think I am going to go between 5-6 hours.

Will probably smoke it tomorrow and sous vide Sunday.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »

Just put it on the Memphis set at 250° with a rub of Montreal Steak seasoning and Cowtown Steak and Grill seasoning.  Will probably let it go for 2 hours.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »

I find that 2 hours of smoke is just about right for pre sous vide. However, I smoke at a lower temperature to avoid overheating the meat and to acquire more smoke flavor.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »

IT was 90° after 2 hours.  Pulled off smoker and into the fridge.  Will either vac seal in a few hours or first thing tomorrow morning before putting in the sous vide.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »

Looks great.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »

Did you by any chance monitor if there was any carry over after pulling?  At what IT do you like to eat your Rib Roast?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »

Did you by any chance monitor if there was any carry over after pulling?  At what IT do you like to eat your Rib Roast?

I did not as I put it right into the refrigerator.  I like my beef somewhere slightly below medium.

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »

Correct me if I am off base.  However, as I understand it should not matter what temp you pull it off the grill unless of course it is over your final temp that you want to serve it.   The SV methods cooks to your serving temp and does over cook the food. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 05:13:02 PM »

However, as I understand it should not matter what temp you pull it off the grill unless of course it is over your final temp that you want to serve it.

Good question.  Here's what was happening–

The roast was in a 250° smoker, so the outside was at 250° and the meat was conducting the heat inward.  The meat had conducted enough heat inward to raise the internal temperature to 90° when it was removed from the smoker and placed in the refrigerator.  So there was a heat gradient from a 90° center to a 250° exterior.

So while the refrigerator was cooling the exterior the heat between the 90° center and the cooling exterior was conducting to cooler parts.  As a result, Bentley asked if there was any evidence that the internal temperature was raising, even though the roast was in the refrigerator.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

urnmor

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »

IMO it should be no different then pre-searing at 350 or higher degrees a steak or chop before you SV it.  The external temp of the piece of meat will be very high however the internal temp will barely raise.  The only difference in this case it that you smoked instead of searing the outside of the roast.  Again just my opinion

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »

I assumed it was left on counter and then put in fridge.  I doubt at 250° for 2 hours the carry would have been more then 5°, just foolish curiosity!  Now, Mr. pmillen, if I am reading his comments correctly poses a truly cool hypothesis!  I wonder how much the carry over was retarded by it being put directly in the fridge!

I think this is a typo or lost in translation...I guess if you set the water temperature wrong it could happen!  Insert [can] over cook...

The SV methods cooks to your serving temp and does over cook the food.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

urnmor

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »

The SV methods cooks to your serving temp and does over cook the food.   I left the word not out.

It should have read "does not over cook your food"

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »

I'm sorry I'm not following you.

IMO it should be no different then pre-searing at 350 or higher degrees a steak or chop before you SV it.  The external temp of the piece of meat will be very high however the internal temp will barely raise.

Yes, the IT will barely rise when you momentarily sear a steak or chop, but I don't see how that relates to cary-over IT rise when there's a  temperature gradient of 160°.  The gradient looks like this–

Center                                                               Exterior
   90°...........130°...........170°...........210°...........250°

So, the roast is trying to reach thermal equilibrium by conducting heat toward the cooler center at the same time the hottest portion is being cooled by refrigeration.  As that happens, some of the internal heat will conduct toward the exterior when the exterior becomes cooler than internal portions. 

It's an interesting visualization and a rather complex thermal dynamics/thermal conduction problem.  The rate at which a hunk of meat changes temperature is a function of a thermodynamics measurement called Specific Heat.  If we wanted to, we could pick a location along the gradient and graph the temperature change over time as the center temperature rose and the exterior temperature cooled.  That's kinda' what Bentley was asking about.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up