Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke and Sous Vide Rib Roast  (Read 1699 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: Smoke and Sous Vide Rib Roast
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »

It's an interesting visualization and a rather complex thermal dynamics/thermal conduction problem.  The rate at which a hunk of meat changes temperature is a function of a thermodynamics measurement called Specific Heat.  If we wanted to, we could pick a location along the gradient and graph the temperature change over time as the center temperature rose and the exterior temperature cooled.

Wow that is to complex for me especially at my age.   Now if I had to go through all of that to determine if my steak tasted good I would give up cooking.  :bbq:

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »

I'm sorry I'm not following you.

IMO it should be no different then pre-searing at 350 or higher degrees a steak or chop before you SV it.  The external temp of the piece of meat will be very high however the internal temp will barely raise.

Yes, the IT will barely rise when you momentarily sear a steak or chop, but I don't see how that relates to cary-over IT rise when there's a  temperature gradient of 160°.  The gradient looks like this–

Center                                                               Exterior
   90°...........130°...........170°...........210°...........250°

So, the roast is trying to reach thermal equilibrium by conducting heat toward the cooler center at the same time the hottest portion is being cooled by refrigeration.  As that happens, some of the internal heat will conduct toward the exterior when the exterior becomes cooler than internal portions. 

It's an interesting visualization and a rather complex thermal dynamics/thermal conduction problem.  The rate at which a hunk of meat changes temperature is a function of a thermodynamics measurement called Specific Heat.  If we wanted to, we could pick a location along the gradient and graph the temperature change over time as the center temperature rose and the exterior temperature cooled.  That's kinda' what Bentley was asking about.
Like anything in the real world, it is not just a thermodynamics problem either. In addition to the scenario you describe, you also have a fluid dynamics problem where moisture moving from the relatively moist/cool 90 degree center moves to the relatively dry 250 degree meat at the edges which carries with it a lack of heat, further cooling the meat on the outside. Plus a heat of evaporation issue as the moisture goes from 90 to 250-ish In the process. It is a very complex process to describe and/or model to predict the carry over.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:12:16 PM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »

You know what...I don't really care about the above hypothesis or reality.  I am going to put it in the sous vide bath tomorrow.  As long as it comes out as tender as I expect it will with a smokey and spice related flavor, I don't really care what the temp was between the time I pulled it off the smoker and when it settled to a temp in the fridge.

Will post pics and info tomorrow.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »

I don't really care about the above hypothesis or reality.
I certainly agree with you.   Be sure to let us know how it taste as I have one in the freezer and I might like to try it.  :bbq:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »

You know what...I don't really care about the above hypothesis or reality.  I am going to put it in the sous vide bath tomorrow.  As long as it comes out as tender as I expect it will with a smokey and spice related flavor, I don't really care what the temp was between the time I pulled it off the smoker and when it settled to a temp in the fridge.

:)  Yep
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »

Like anything in the real world, it is not just a thermodynamics problem either. In addition to the scenario you describe, you also have a fluid dynamics problem where moisture moving from the relatively moist/cool 90 degree center moves to the relatively dry 250 degree meat at the edges which carries with it a lack of heat, further cooling the meat on the outside. Plus a heat of evaporation issue as the moisture goes from 90 to 250-ish In the process. It is a very complex process to describe and/or model to predict the carry over.

Oh, yeah.  I didn't consider that.  To some readers it's just foolish to think about things like this as it has no immediate practical value toward producing a quality meal.  To some of us, those intrigued with the science of cooking, it's interesting and studying it may generate a new method or process.

To get a feel for what I'm referring to, take a look at the Modernist Cuisine web site.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »

IT was 90° after 2 hours.  Pulled off smoker and into the fridge.  Will either vac seal in a few hours or first thing tomorrow morning before putting in the sous vide.

Is there a reason you chose 250 as opposed to something lower? I am looking forward to your results. How did it turn out? :lick:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:06:43 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »

IT was 90° after 2 hours.  Pulled off smoker and into the fridge.  Will either vac seal in a few hours or first thing tomorrow morning before putting in the sous vide.

Is there a reason you chose 250 as opposed to something lower? I am looking forward to your results. How did it turn out? :lick:

I usually always smoke at 250 so no other reason.  I didn't sous vide yesterday.  Probably tomorrow.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »

I put the roast in the sous vide about 30 minutes ago set at 133° for 6 hours.  Will refrigerate after 6 hours.  Then will probably have my Dad slice it on his commercial slicer sometime this week.

urnmor

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »

Bar-B-Lew
Hold It, Hold it, hold it.  You can not do that.  Why you ask, because this is no longer your cook.  Many of us have been following this cook from the beginning and we have an absolute right to know how the meat tastes upon finishing the cook.  So this is your mission if you decide to accept.  Cut the end piece and one other and taste  then let us know how succulent it was.   :cool: :clap: :lick:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »

I pulled from the sous vide and kept in the vac seal bag.  It will get sliced tomorrow.  I will probably get it back on Friday/Saturday.  You will have to stay in suspense. ;D

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »

So this is extremely high end roast beef for sandwiches?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »

So this is extremely high end roast beef for sandwiches?

The bone in roast was $7/# on sale during the holiday season.  I am slicing it for roast beef sandwiches.  I cut the bone off before vac sealing after my 2 hour smoke.  It is about 3.5# right now.

I will probably vac seal in 8oz portions.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »

Very nice...Are you a creamy horse radish kind of person?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »

Very nice...Are you a creamy horse radish kind of person?

I use creamy and the grated stuff too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up