Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Traeger Lives Again!  (Read 3823 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
My Traeger Lives Again!
« on: May 11, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »

Actually, it never really died, but for the last year or so it has been used just as a hot grill, with the auger always powered.

I can't recall when, but a few years back, the controller died. It was the old 3 way controller (smoke/medium/high), which I know a lot of people didn't like, but I learned to get on with. It was replaceable, but at the time only with another 3 way controller  (all UK kit is 240V, so I can't import from the States).

So I did 3 things.

1. The fan was wired direct, so as long as the Traeger had power, the fan ran. I think this is a good thing, as leaving it running after stopping the pellet feed prevents the risk of auger fires. Also, it is a good reminder to turn off the power.

2. The igniter was wired to a momentary push switch that required me to stand with my finger on it until I saw smoke. Again, I was happy with this.

3. The auger motor was wired into the switch power, so when you flick the switch it came on; but with a relay inserted, with a cable coming out of the grill. This let me plug it into my home-brew Arduino controller, but the relay was wired as "normally closed", so if nothing was plugged in, the Traeger just worked at full power.

I played with the Arduino code for some time, and ran into some problems you will be familiar with - it's all very well writing code that switches your auger off and on with the temp, but it isn't as simple as that. I suffered over-runs, and I can hear many of you yelling "Get a PID!". :D

But then I bought a GMG Davy Crockett, and that actually started taking care of my low and slow cooking, and stuff that needed precision. My Traeger worked excellently as a place to grill steaks, chicken and burgers at high heat (well, high for a pellet grill). So the Arduine got put in a box somewhere, and since then my Traeger has just been a grilling machine.

This changed recently with my experiments with my Firebox Pizza Oven add-on, where I decided that I actually needed to give my Traeger more temperature control again.

I've gone for a simple solution again. The relay in the Traeger has been replaced with the one in the first picture. The reason for this is that my new solution uses 12V to trigger, the new relay can use this AND 5V should I move back to an Arduino solution.

The external controller is in the second picture a 12V timer/relay. It has 4 programs, I am using program 3, which runs on an infinity loop - off T1 seconds, on T2 seconds - the time is easily configurable with a couple of buttons. The whole thing is powered from a splitter running off the GMG DC's 12V power supply (the power is tiny, so makes no difference).

So how does this work?

T1 = 1 second, T2 = 999 (or anything large, in fact) - the equivalent of High on the 3 way controller. Pellets being fed all the time.

T1 = 60 seconds, T2 = 60 seconds - the equivalent of Medium. Pellets being fed 50% of the time.

T1 = 180 seconds, T2 = 60 seconds - the equivalent of Smoke. Pellets being fed 25% of the time.

But I also have all the settings in between.

So set to smoke (T1 180/T2 60) on a cold day, and the temp is low? Just boost T2 until it gets to heat. For somewhere between Smoke and Medium, try 120/60.

It is a purely timed (not temperature controlled) system, but that is what I had in the first place, and was relatively happy with.

But yes, the relay in the Traeger will handle anything from 3-32V, so if I decide to go for a PID in the future, I'll just wire into what I have got.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:40:56 AM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: My Traeger Lives Again!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

In case folk didn't realise, I am not doing this out of penny-pinching. I can not only afford to buy a new controller, I can afford a new Traeger (or GMG, or ...)

I just like fiddling. :D
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »

Also, the whole thing could have been done with just the second relay. But I wanted that controller outside the Traeger (so I can get to the buttons), and I didn't want any wires coming out of the Traeger to be live 240V.

So using the external relay to control the internal relay means that it's all done with 12V; the internal relay is opto-isolated, so the 12V and 240V circuits are completely separate.

slaga

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »

I completely understand you like to tinker with it but if I were in your shoes, I'd head in this direction and be done with it. You can run a timed algorithm just like you do now or use a set temperature. Max/min fuel rates are very adjustable too.

And I really do understand liking to tinker and go in your own direction. I think that is cool too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:02:17 PM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »

I was going to say it won't work, but then I noticed something.

Because if this was a 110V system, like the other replacement controllers I had seen, using the 240V to 110V converter wouldn't work. Because although the controller might be 110V (so would need a converter), the fan, auger motor and igniter of my Traeger all require 240V.

This is why dropping a 110V controller into a 240V Traeger doesn't work, unless you are going to replace everything.

But then I noticed on their page: "220 Volt Compatible."

Assuming this means 240 Volt Compatible, this could be  a solution.

And it probably is ok, as "240V" is more of a guideline than anything. It used to be that UK was 240, and the rest of Europe was 220V. As part of the EU, this was "harmonised" that we were all officially on 230V.

But nothing actually changed.

In Europe, it is a nominal 230V, but actually:

230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

so covering their old 220V adequately.

In the UK it is:

230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V)

So making sure we are close to 240V.

So given the Stoker's temp falls within the range, it should be ok. I may have a word with a friend who knows more of mains power than me. :D

But thanks for the pointer. I had assumed the Stoker was a 110V solution only.

slaga

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »

In all honesty, I had not even considered the fans, etc. running on 240V. I am not sure why that did not cross my mind.

Never mind what I wrote on this post.

That said, from what I am reading, a 220V piece of equipment does not care if there is a single hot wire at 220V similar to what you have in the UK or if you have (2) 120V wires that are in different phases to get 220V. It should be able to run off of either. The issue I am seeing is the different frequencies may affect the timing. By that I mean the computer in the controller is expecting 60 Hz and the UK frequency is 50 Hz. The timing algorithms will be slower than designed. When you plug in a time of 1 minute on the controller, it may take a little longer than a minute for the controller to make its cycle. It is worth a shot to discuss it with whoever you trust at your end and maybe even message BMerrill at Savannah Stoker.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:37:16 PM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

slaga

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »

Actually I think you will find this interesting. Now the Savannah Stoker is on Version 4.5 and this is the specs on the Version 4 which I have but it looks like it just might be a direct replacement as is. Being compatible with 50-60 Hz would mean you should not have clocking issues either.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:36:26 PM by slaga »

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 02:00:09 PM »

In all honesty, I had not even considered the fans, etc. running on 240V. I am not sure why that did not cross my mind.

It didn't occur to me until I almost but didn't quite order a US controller for it a couple of years ago.

Actually I think I may has gotten as far as ordering it, then I realised the problem, and I cancelled it.

One of the reasons I love the GMG DC is - because it runs off 12V, it is exactly the same model as the ones you guys have over there. No need for alternative components, or anything.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 02:06:27 PM »

Actually I think you will find this interesting. Now the Savannah Stoker is on Version 4.5 and this is the specs on the Version 4 which I have but it looks like it just might be a direct replacement as is. Being compatible with 50-60 Hz would mean you should not have clocking issues either.

That does look very interesting.

I'd have to give some thoughts as to how it would affect other things I am doing - like using the pizza oven add-on I have. I also do use it as a "hot grill" (i.e. lid open) quite a bit, which any temp control device wouldn't like.

But the pros do tend to outweigh the negatives.

An interesting option, and something to think about - thanks.

slaga

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

That does look very interesting.

I'd have to give some thoughts as to how it would affect other things I am doing - like using the pizza oven add-on I have. I also do use it as a "hot grill" (i.e. lid open) quite a bit, which any temp control device wouldn't like.

But the pros do tend to outweigh the negatives.

An interesting option, and something to think about - thanks.

The Savannah Stoker does that too. You can set the cycle time in seconds from 1 to whatever you want, and have the auger run anywhere from OutL (15%-ish) to OutH (100%) in increments of 1%. Say you set the cycle time to 60 seconds and set the controller to manual mode at 43%. The auger will run 43% of every 60 seconds, completely ignoring the temperature sensor. You can leave the lid open and grill just like you do now. Toggling between manual mode like I just described and Auto mode which utilizes the PID and temperature sensor is literally 1 push of a single button.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:23:37 PM by slaga »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »

The epitome of desperation and knowing your pit to keep cooking. Good work Chris..A lot of us would have given up.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »

The Savannah Stoker does that too.

Oh dear, this forum is costing me pennies again! :D

Thanks for explaining that - there is nothing as good as picking up on other people's experience.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »

The epitome of desperation and knowing your pit to keep cooking. Good work Chris..A lot of us would have given up.

The thing is I have my GMG DC to fall back on, and (dare I mention it, here?) my cheap ceramic charcoal burner. Which means if my fiddling puts the Traeger out of action temporarily - while in bits, or waiting for parts - I still have something to cook on.

When you are not completely reliant on something, you are braver about pulling it apart and putting it back together again.

"Now where did this auger go ..." :D

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »

I have a bunch of people coming around tomorrow, for board gaming and BBQ.

So I would have no surprises then, I heated it up to the Smoke equivalent setting, and put a couple of burgers in there to smoke for an hour or so, before bring the heat up to finish them off. Something simple, but needing a measure of control.

I also added a couple of sausages, which are also nicely smoked, and now chopped, sauced and in the freezer for a couple of quick lunches.

All went exactly as planned (how could it not, it was a simple plan). There's only a dozen of us tomorrow, but with the new double internal shelf unit (another new addition) I know I can cope with bigger numbers than that; which I will probably get once summer finally arrives!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »

And the guy that owns Savanah Stoker is Billy Merrill who is a member of the forum, but I am not 100% sure what his username is.  He could answer any question you may have regarding compatibility.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up