Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 06 Feb 2019
  • 1.  Name of product
    Buck Knives’ official name for this knife is 541 Open Season® Boning Knife Pro

2.  Purpose of the product
    Buck manufactures it as a boning knife.  I used it once to help a friend butcher and bone a hog.  It worked well as a boning knife, but I have limited experience at that work so I may not be the best judge.

I regularly use it as a trimming knife to trim fat from butts and briskets.  It’s also perfect for removing silver skin when trimming a beef tenderloin.  It quickly replaced the previously used Rapala fillet knife for that purpose.

3.  Pros and cons of product
    pros:  Excellent point for piercing
              Holds an edge well
              Blade resists micro-chipping better than many other hard steels
    cons:  It’s somewhat costly
              It’s extremely hard steel, making the edge difficult to re-grind

4.  Impressions and other thoughts on the product
    For the occasional user, knife balance is generally not important, but I have the sense that the Buck 541 is weighted toward the handle making it possible to “whip” the slender blade around when making intricate cuts.

For those users who are interested in steel formulae, the 541 blade is S35VN steel, a relatively new stainless-steel derived from S30V by adding niobium to the vanadium and chromium carbide forming elements.  The result is a less brittle steel that better resists edge chipping.

Stainless-steel blades are notoriously difficult to grind (sharpen) and S35VN not an exception.  When the day comes (in the distant future, if ever) that you need to regrind the edge, it will take considerably more effort than a typical butcher’s knife.  It’s the price you pay for corrosion resistance and edge-holding capability, but it’s an undesirable trait in a production environment where a re-grind needs to be quick so as to not slow the work.  You’ll note that most butchers’ knives are high carbon steel that are easier to grind.

On the subject of re-grinding, the edge angle appears to be about 15°.  That’s paring knife, fillet knife or X-Acto blade territory.

The combination of premium stainless-steel blade and synthetic handle probably make the knife dishwasher safe.  Nevertheless, I can’t bring myself to do so.  I suggest that you wash it by hand.

Buck apparently anticipates that the 541 Boning Knife will be used in the field because it comes with a leather sheath.  The sheath is handy in the kitchen, though.  I can slip the knife into it and throw it into the drawer along with the ladles, can openers, spatulas, melon ballers, ice cream scoops and other rarely used utensils.  The sheath protects both the blade and rummaging hands.

5.  Would you recommend this product
    I’m pleased with this knife.  I’d recommend it to anyone who’s willing to spend a little bit more for the perfect tool for a given job.

6.  Pictures

7.  MSRP
    $165.00
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Feb 2019
  • I was loving the review until I hit the price at the bottom :'(  I just can't get myself to spend that type of money on any knife.  That being said, that was a great review and had me ready to buy one.  Thanks for putting it together.
  • #3 by pmillen on 06 Feb 2019
  • You can find it for about $130 on line.  Talk with the vendor's Customer Service or Sales department.  Ask if they offer a complete refund, as opposed to store credit, if it doesn't meet your needs.  Then give it a test drive.  You may change your mind about, "I just can't get myself to spend that type of money..."

BTW, I can provide "Knife Geek" information in an addendum if anyone wants to know more.
  • #4 by Bentley on 06 Feb 2019
  • Wow!  What a Product Review!  Thank you! 

I do not believe that if you combined the price of every knife I own it would come to $165...
  • #5 by yorkdude on 07 Feb 2019
  • That is a great review.
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Feb 2019
  • Thanks for the excellent review.
Pages:
Actions