Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi controller  (Read 1395 times)

dieselr88

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Wifi controller
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »

Question for you guys with wifi controllers. I just picked up a DB for free  :cool: It’s a 2011 with updated controller with probe and alarm.  Test ran the other night - everything seems to work. I ordered new shield/tray as they were warped pretty bad, was the old 3 piece design. I spoke with GMG tech support and was offered a great deal on the wifi control-have the bugs been worked out? It would be nice to have-taking this one to the lake, and being able to monitor from a phone would be ideal.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: Wifi controller
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

Mine is a 2011 also and when I got it the controller was bad so I went with the WiFi version.  I updated to the latest firmware and have never had a problem other than it being too far away and disconnecting.  Where I grill is 30 yards from the house and not in direct line of sight because it's behind the barn.  I park my truck between the barn and the house, too. 

The new heat shield is well worth the money.  I got the two piece drip tray and wouldn't recommend that.  It wasn't what I had hoped for.  Can't beat the price you got yours for!!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

dieselr88

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

i didn’t have much of a choice on the drip tay-2 piece is only type available at this time. I was told new style only available for warranty exchange for now. Patiently waiting for the shield and tray to really test it out.

Brushpopper

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »

GMG ships really fast.  I've gotten the item before I've gotten the email saying it shipped.  The two piece tray isn't bad and it's easier to clean than I expected.  I use a big plastic scraper.  It's too thick to be a putty knife.  Not real sure what it's really for.  It was in my dad's tools that I ended up with.

Brushpopper

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »

Also position your heat shield about 3/4 of an inch to the right.  That seems to give me even side to side temps.  May not be perfect, but you can start there. 

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »

I just use the bottom of tray of the two piece tray. I add about 4-5 layers of foil to it and take a layer off when it gets a lot of build up on it.  I've posted this pic before but I saw the newest heat shield on there web site. The heat shield with the bottom side partially enclosed. Both have the same hole pattern but the "well seasoned" is different as you can see.  I really love the WiFi and server mode on this. I have also been able to calibrate the temps from left to right a lot better also with Wifi. Customer service has top notch! Even on weekends.

dieselr88

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »

Thanks guys. My heat trays are coming this week so I’m gonna tinker with it this weekend.
I haven’t ordered the WiFi controller yet, but plan to next week.
Do either of you have a downdraft installed-Hurd or Godke?

Brushpopper

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »

I don't.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »

I don't either.  I also use a small mini loaf aluminum pan filled with water on long cooks like pork shoulder and brisket. I really think it helps with the smoke ring. I also will just set the temp for 150 for an hour on about everything I cook.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:39:39 AM by Clonesmoker »

Bytor

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »

Question for you guys with wifi controllers. I just picked up a DB for free  :cool: It’s a 2011 with updated controller with probe and alarm.  Test ran the other night - everything seems to work. I ordered new shield/tray as they were warped pretty bad, was the old 3 piece design. I spoke with GMG tech support and was offered a great deal on the wifi control-have the bugs been worked out? It would be nice to have-taking this one to the lake, and being able to monitor from a phone would be ideal.

NO!  When it works its just ok.  signal is still xxxxxx as it ever was even with a new bigger antenna. okay okay, maybe its a little better in that respect.

A WiFI control should work, period.   Turn it on and it does its thing... like the Fireboard Thermometer or Smoke Thermometer, or Rachio Sprinkler control, or Nest products, or Acurite weather station....all of which I use and they all work like a charm from much farther distances then my BBQ.   Plug em in and they go. no adding this or that to get it to work.  .... Apologize for the rant :-[ but just spent 15 min waiting for app to connect to BBq standing 10 feet from it.
Lost in the Temple..... GMG DB Bradley (OBS) With Aubrins PID and 900W Mod Weber Genesis 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up