Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018
  • I finally got out my LEM #8 meat grinder and the LEM jerky slicer attachment and used it for the first time.  I sliced up about 10# of eye of round, about 5# of beef loin, and about 6# of pork loin with it today.  Here are some pics of the process and results.

About a 4# eye of round before I trimmed the fat.

The eye of round after trimming the fat and slice approximately 1" thick.

After running through the jerky slicer.

I think next time I am going to try putting the 1" slices in the freezer for 30-60 minutes before running through the slicer.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 12 May 2018
  • Nicely done, we always kind of try to get a "freezer firmness " for slicing, is that what you are talking about? Gwennie just shoots darts "eye wise" if I look at anything more, although she is very open to an idea that we try new things, hard to explain. 30+ years and I can't outrun her so I just look.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018
  • Here i a brief video of 2 slabs of meat running through the slicer.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oeTHXvxT9yY
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018
  • Final product vac sealed and 4# in terayaki marinade ready to smoke tomorrow for a relative.  I kept the fat trimming and will freeze them for use in snack sticks or sausage.

• #5 by WiPelletHead on 12 May 2018

That looks pretty impressive!!

About how long to slice the 21 pounds of meat?
  • #6 by yorkdude on 12 May 2018
  • Oh man that is slick, is it adjustable? We like 1/4" slightly heavy and kind of always leaning that way.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018

That looks pretty impressive!!

About how long to slice the 21 pounds of meat?

Took longer to trim and cut into 1" thick pieces then to run through the slicer.  Slicer handled about 5# in probably a minute or two tops.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018
  • Oh man that is slick, is it adjustable? We like 1/4" slightly heavy and kind of always leaning that way.

No it has blades on a shaft that are 1/4" apart.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 12 May 2018
  • Looks great, did you get the uniformity you were looking for? I like to slice some with the grain for a more chewy texture.

Can't wait to see the finished product
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2018
  • Looks great, did you get the uniformity you were looking for? I like to slice some with the grain for a more chewy texture.

Can't wait to see the finished product

It is certainly uniform in thickness.  It doesn't look like it cut all of the way through though which is why I am thinking of semi freezing before running through it next time.  Might be better if I got longer strips of meat going through it too.  I will continue to experiment based on final results of the jerky and how easy it is to get out of the marinade and onto the frogmats to place on the smoker.
  • #11 by Bentley on 12 May 2018
  • So it looks like it would take about a 5 inch wide piece?  This is a completely separate attachment from the tenderizer, or it is adjusted for CFS?

That is a Beef Stroganoff animal!
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 12 May 2018
  • I think the cabelas one I have will take 7" wide and the hand crank one is only like 5". They work nice I started slicing by hand because I like the larger hand plus size pieces. the inch wide strips are good, but we had a butcher shop close by that sold jerky and they had jerky slices that were 10-12" long and 6 or so inches wide. I never did find out how they cut it or what cut they used. Did pork also.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 May 2018
  • So it looks like it would take about a 5 inch wide piece?  This is a completely separate attachment from the tenderizer, or it is adjusted for CFS?

That is a Beef Stroganoff animal!

I will give it a measurement when I give it a full review.  I didn't want to give it a review yet as I am still learning how it works.

I am not sure how it works without the tenderizer as I used both during this initial run. I really need to check with LEM on how to utilize it.  I am not 100% sure that I used it properly.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 May 2018
  • I think I am going to like the consistency of the cuts from the LEM slicer.  This is 4# of eye of round in terayaki marinade with some cajun spice and cure mixed in.  It was sure the easiest cuts I have placed onto mats/racks to prep to go on the smoker.  Very easy to work with the uniform pieces instead of working a jigsaw puzzle like it had been before.

• #15 by Bentley on 14 May 2018
  • So this slicer attachment is also part of the meat tenderizer?  Am I saying that so you understand what I am asking?  You just take the slicer blade out and put a tenderizer blade in?
Pages:
Actions