Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trust Weber iGrill II with new Davy Crockett  (Read 1290 times)

outlawsx6

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Trust Weber iGrill II with new Davy Crockett
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

I'm on my second GMG Davy Crockett trying to get a handle on the temp difference between it and my thermometer, iGrill II. GMG cs has been trying to figure it out with me, even swapped out with another grill. I've got over four hours total on the phone with them, and am no closer to trusting the temps enough to smoke anything yet. I've done the home calibration with ice and boiling water multiple times and always come up with 32 and 210 on the iGrill.

At 150 on the DC I get 176
At 200 I get 232
At 225 I get 287
At 300 I get 395
At 350 I get 486

I've tried multiple areas on the grates but all those numbers are directly over their temp probe. The iGrill sits about 1" above the grate which is 1" above their sensor, 2" total. Is there something wrong with my thermometer? I've used it many times on my old Camp Chef with total confidence until the grill died, then got rid of it for the Davy Crockett, thinking it would be an upgrade. Both GMGs were brand new in the box with the newer one piece grease tray, so current stock.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Trust Weber iGrill II with new Davy Crockett
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:08 AM »

Some users set the pit at the temperature that gives them their desired temperature at the grate.

At 150 on the DC I get 176................Try setting it at 125 and see if you get a steady 150 at the grate.
At 200 I get 232...............................Try setting it at 175.
At 225 I get 287...............................Try 190.
At 300 I get 395
At 350 I get 486

You get the idea.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »

I have an iGrill II also and find that it is much more accurate when the probe is in contact with what it is measuring than being used as a sensor to measure pit temp.

My recommendation would be to pick up one of those dial type oven thermometers and give that a try.  They are inexpensive and I have found them to be accurate.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »

I have an iGrill II also and find that it is much more accurate when the probe is in contact with what it is measuring than being used as a sensor to measure pit temp.

My recommendation would be to pick up one of those dial type oven thermometers and give that a try.  They are inexpensive and I have found them to be accurate.

It depends on if you are using an actual purpose built grate probe.  I've found those to be pretty accurate.  If you are trying to measure grate temp with a meat probe, I'd agree that you are not going to be very accurate.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »

Sounds like you have two choices.  Return the grill for a refund and buy something else.  Or, do what pmillen suggested.  That is how I cook on my Blazn that doesn't have the LED working on its controller (I bought the unit used at a great price).
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »

When I got my Smoke I checked my temps inside with the temp on the controller and found out my DB was cooking about 25 degrees warmer than the Smoke said.  I just compensated for the difference and went with that.   Too many variables in the controller, ambient temperatures and amount of meat to name a few.   Don't like to overthink it a lot, gives me a headache. :P
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »

Are you using the the 1-piece solid drip pan?  If not, you NEED to get one if you want even heat and then take your measurements.  The 2-piece drip pan (with the holes) is prone to hot spots and uneven heating.  I switched to the 1-piece and it's like having a totally different smoker now.  Even heat, no crispy edges or burnt bottoms.  I did this rack last weekend at 225 degrees for 2.5 hours, foiled for 1.5, then back on for 30 minutes.  I never could have gotten even heat with the 2-piece drip pan to do this.  With the 1-piece, the ends of this rack were cooked perfectly even though the rack spanned the entire length of the DC.  If I used the 2-piece, the ends and edges would have been crispy with a portion of the rack cooked unevenly. 

With that said, if you already have the 1-piece, then please disregard the above.   ;)
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles
Pages: [1]   Go Up