Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by reubenray on 19 May 2018
  • Well, just checked the smoker...took the cover off and saw this:
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Apparently the seams on the Pit Boss cover are not waterproof. Heart sank. Grabbed a small bucket and went to the back of the smoker, opened the pellet drop door, and dry pellets came out  :clap:!
    Still may build a small 'deck' with casters, leaving a small gap between the boards for airflow.

Mine has not leaked, but just to be safe I will put an old firepit cover on top of the Pit Boss cover.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 May 2018
  • Here are some pics of what I discovered once I opened the pellet door.  I ended up using a small bus pan to wedge underneath to get most of the pellet dust out.  Now, I need to figure out how to get to the pellet dust that is in the auger channel to empty that out.  Not a happy camper right now.

That pellet release door is pretty useless unless you have a bus pan.  I think if you tried to use a bucket or one of those Kingsford containers to empty out pellets into you would have them all over the ground.

Will probably end up setting it on a table to figure out how to get to the auger to clean it out.

• #18 by Deebo1133 on 25 May 2018
  • Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #19 by Canadian John on 25 May 2018
  •  A pellet nightmare.  As for the dust, try a leaf blower. Just make sure you are down wind.
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 May 2018
  • A pellet nightmare.  As for the dust, try a leaf blower. Just make sure you are down wind.

I vacuumed most of that out.  I need to get to the jammed auger now.
  • #21 by ScottE on 25 May 2018
  • Wow, that's terrible - enough to convince me not to get the Copperhead. Of course moisture is always the enemy of pellet grills, but this design seems very susceptible to it. I've seen a few reports already for folks having the same problem. Hopefully they do a manufacturing change to improve it.
  • #22 by reubenray on 25 May 2018
  • This post is why I won't be smoking anything on the Copperhead this week due to I am in the path of heavy rain for about 5 days.  I also have the Pit Boss cover on plus another cover over the top.
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 26 May 2018
  • This post is why I won't be smoking anything on the Copperhead this week due to I am in the path of heavy rain for about 5 days.  I also have the Pit Boss cover on plus another cover over the top.

Why not just dump the pellets out?
  • #24 by leppolite on 26 May 2018
  • This is a serious bummer, I was about to pick up a Copperhead this weekend. I have a covered gazebo but it still can get a bit of rain in when its blowing hard enough. Would some sealant or gasket around the hopper empty door help or is that not where the water is getting in?
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 May 2018
  • This is a serious bummer, I was about to pick up a Copperhead this weekend. I have a covered gazebo but it still can get a bit of rain in when its blowing hard enough. Would some sealant or gasket around the hopper empty door help or is that not where the water is getting in?

I believe the water got in through the pellet empty door as the pellets at the top of the hopper were dry.  But the moisture was enough for it to deteriorate several inches of pellets at the bottom.  I thought about putting some caulk or something around the outside of that door, but would probably have to redo it every time the pellet door is used.  I am sure someone with some metal fabrication skills could create some sort of overhang that would cover the opening that would probably stop water from being able to get in.  Sorta like an exterior dryer vent type shape but smaller.
  • #26 by ScottE on 26 May 2018
  • Why not just dump the pellets out?

Because you just shouldn't have to do that, especially with the cover on! From some of the reports I've heard, it's not just the hopper but you have to clear the auger too or moisture will get in there and swell up, blocking it.
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 May 2018
  • For the price, this is still a great smoker.  I learned my lesson, and will keep it dry once I get the time to get to the auger.  I don't want to mess with it today while I have 3 other smokers going and 2 dehydrators.
  • #28 by leppolite on 26 May 2018
  • Thanks for the information, now to decide if I want to deal with this or not.
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 26 May 2018
  • Why not just dump the pellets out?

Because you just shouldn't have to do that, especially with the cover on! From some of the reports I've heard, it's not just the hopper but you have to clear the auger too or moisture will get in there and swell up, blocking it.

I don't believe Bar-B-Lew had a cover on it, I think he left it uncovered in a rain storm on his patio.

And my point was, if you are that worried about it that you are double covering it, isn't it easier just to dump the pellets and not worry at all.
  • #30 by BigDave83 on 26 May 2018
  • I have not looked at clean out door since putting it together, I was thinking if you tapes the hopper wiped with a bit of veg oil then applied a small bead of silicone RTV around the door and closed it and left it for a day or so to cure, take the tape off you should have it sealed up, the only problem is that in your picture it looks cut out on the hinge side. not sure it would seal there.
Pages:
Actions