Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Canadian John on 26 May 2018
  • This is a serious bummer, I was about to pick up a Copperhead this weekend. I have a covered gazebo but it still can get a bit of rain in when its blowing hard enough. Would some sealant or gasket around the hopper empty door help or is that not where the water is getting in?

I believe the water got in through the pellet empty door as the pellets at the top of the hopper were dry.  But the moisture was enough for it to deteriorate several inches of pellets at the bottom.  I thought about putting some caulk or something around the outside of that door, but would probably have to redo it every time the pellet door is used.  I am sure someone with some metal fabrication skills could create some sort of overhang that would cover the opening that would probably stop water from being able to get in.  Sorta like an exterior dryer vent type shape but smaller.
    Could you simply fab a "U" shaped deflector that goes around the top and sides of the door, held in place w/ silicone? It doesn't have to be very high. 1/4" should work.. Just so the water coming down the side, hits the deflector and follows it " around" the door.
  • #32 by Canadian John on 26 May 2018

• The subject of water entry may present an opportunity to add an other test parameter to our product evaluations.  For whatever the reason; design or manufacturing, something went awry w/ the Copperhead.
  • #33 by BigDave83 on 26 May 2018
  • I belong to 4 or 5 different pellet groups on FB the Pit Boss folks seem to have a lot of water/cemented auger issues for some reason. Granted most are in the barrel cookers. but the GMG or RT folks rarely have that issue.
  • #34 by leppolite on 26 May 2018
  • I was thinking the same thing with the sealant but I didnt notice that cutout part by the hinge. Eh, I am still going to end up buying one...pretty much already talked myself into it. I will likely use hardwood pellets for heat and my Apple/Cherry/Hickory for use in the AMNPS so I wont have much reason to use the empty door and can just seal it up if I it becomes an issue.
  • #35 by Bentley on 26 May 2018
  • Thank you for this!  I have some other comments, but they would just xxxx a few folks off so will keep them to myself!

For the price, this is still a great smoker.  I learned my lesson, and will keep it dry once I get the time to get to the auger.  I don't want to mess with it today while I have 3 other smokers going and 2 dehydrators.
  • #36 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 May 2018
  • Thank you for this!  I have some other comments, but they would just xxxx a few folks off so will keep them to myself!

For the price, this is still a great smoker.  I learned my lesson, and will keep it dry once I get the time to get to the auger.  I don't want to mess with it today while I have 3 other smokers going and 2 dehydrators.

Yeah, didn't mean to bad mouth the company or the equipment.  Could the design be better, yes.  Do I take accountability for it, yes.  Like other pits, you need to learn your pit.  I've had two auger jams in my MAK over the years for reasons not as "clear" to me as this one.  I am probably more upset that the timing was bad due to my plans to use it for my big jerky cook this holiday weekend.  I will fix it and it shouldn't happen again to me.

I was certainly pleased with the performance on my first jerky cook.  I do want to try it for a chicken wing cook.

Let's also remember that Pellet Fan did not do a performance test.  They tested things that the people that participated in the raffle asked to be performed.  I don't want my issue to put a sour taste in the mouth of future raffles.  I would not even thought of testing such a thing as I obviously didn't think about it when it was raining and my issue happened.  Not the fault of Pellet Fan.  It was my fault.

Canadian John, you described what I was thinking better than I did.  I think that would work for those that will keep it outside all of the time.

I can't speak for a cover (or two) as I don't have one and don't intend on buying one.

I posted this thread so that people who have one or may be interested in buying one would know about this potential issue.  No different than the pros and cons I have posted about the other 4 pellet grills I have.  I try to be fair to all of them.  I have not found a perfect pellet grill yet and I have 5 of them on my patio right now.
  • #37 by leppolite on 26 May 2018
  • I stopped today at a Walmart nearby and they had 1 left...now they have none. Very much looking forward to learning new things about a new smoker. Thanks for this thread, it gave me something to pay extra attention to as I learn how this unit works for me.
  • #38 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 May 2018
  • I stopped today at a Walmart nearby and they had 1 left...now they have none. Very much looking forward to learning new things about a new smoker. Thanks for this thread, it gave me something to pay extra attention to as I learn how this unit works for me.

Glad to hear.  That was my intent.  Give members here a heads up on something they need to pay attention to.
  • #39 by Canadian John on 27 May 2018

•  I apologize if I offended anyone. I was trying to be helpful and offer my opinion..We are a great group with an extremely hard working and dedicated owner.  We are here to enjoy ourselves and share information. 

• #40 by ScottE on 27 May 2018
  • I don't believe Bar-B-Lew had a cover on it, I think he left it uncovered in a rain storm on his patio.

Thanks, I stand corrected, and Bar-B-Lew confirmed as well that it wasn't covered. Definitely a case of knowing the limitations of the cooker and something to be aware of...
  • #41 by Bentley on 27 May 2018
  • There was no bad mouthing, NO ONE has been out of line...and I am glad I did not make the comments I was going to...as it appears some did not know it was not covered!
  • #42 by slaga on 28 May 2018
  • The 2 simplest solutions I can come up with is black electrical tape along the top and sides. Should stay in place in a rain storm and easy enough to remove and apply new when necessary. This more of a quick fix or temporary band aid type solution. A more permanent solution would be a 10" or so piece of 1"x1" angle siliconed and riveted /screwed to the back an inch or so above the door. Even better to straighten the angle just a little.

Mine stays under the over hang on my back patio. It extends more than 5 feet in every direction beyond my grill but I move it closer to the edge to cook. That said, I might go ahead and apply a solution to this issue before I have an opportunity to experience it.
  • #43 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 May 2018
  • That said, I might go ahead and apply a solution to this issue before I have an opportunity to experience it.

This is the type of reason I created this thread so that people could be made aware of the issue before it becomes an issue for them.  And, I think your electrical tape idea may work.  You could empty everything out, apply the tape, and run some water down the back to see if you get any inside.  Use a hair dryer to dry it out of you did.
  • #44 by BigDave83 on 28 May 2018
  • with the finish ob the unit I would think you could use duct tape or even a piece of aluminum tape and it would come off easily when needed.
Pages:
Actions