Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 24 May 2019
  • If you are talking about a primal cut and then cutting the tenderloin out of that, I have no idea.  If you just mean cutting a tenderloin into steaks, that is easy for you.  All you will need is the loin, a ruler and a knife.  Just decide what thickness of steak you like and cut!  The whole tenderloin is all I buy from Costco.

I'm also leaning towards learning towards buying only whole tenderloins and learning to break them down myself. Any of you try that and have any advice?

• #17 by pmillen on 24 May 2019
  • Got the charcoal today and will see if there is a noticeable difference with a cheeseburger!  I have no chimney starter and I dont want to use an accelerate on it, so getting the coals going should be an interesting dilemma!

There are several youtube videos with suggestions.  I light charcoal with a few cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol.
  • #18 by glitchy on 25 May 2019
  • OK, I thought what Costco sold needed to be separated into 3 different muscles and then sliced (some butterflied). I’ll have to try one like this.

If you are talking about a primal cut and then cutting the tenderloin out of that, I have no idea.  If you just mean cutting a tenderloin into steaks, that is easy for you.  All you will need is the loin, a ruler and a knife.  Just decide what thickness of steak you like and cut!  The whole tenderloin is all I buy from Costco.

I'm also leaning towards learning towards buying only whole tenderloins and learning to break them down myself. Any of you try that and have any advice?

• #19 by pmillen on 25 May 2019
  • OK, I thought what Costco sold needed to be separated into 3 different muscles and then sliced (some butterflied). I’ll have to try one like this.

If you are talking about a primal cut and then cutting the tenderloin out of that, I have no idea.  If you just mean cutting a tenderloin into steaks, that is easy for you.  All you will need is the loin, a ruler and a knife.  Just decide what thickness of steak you like and cut!  The whole tenderloin is all I buy from Costco.

Just to add clarity to this conversation–
    Sometimes people write loin when they mean tenderloin, and vice-versa.  The loin and tenderloin are not the same.  If you were to pet a steer down its back you would feel the loins on either side of the spine and down the side.  The tenderloin is under the spine and can't be felt.

The loin muscles are active and are not as tender as the inactive tenderloin.

• #20 by pmillen on 25 May 2019
  • I'm also leaning towards learning towards buying only whole tenderloins and learning to break them down myself. Any of you try that and have any advice?

If you mean buying an untrimmed tenderloin and trimming it.  This is what you'll end up with.  PM me and I'll send you video.
  • #21 by Bentley on 25 May 2019
  • Yes, there will be some trimming to get to a "proper" steak.  Paul can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the whole cut is a "PSMO"...I think Costco may have trimmed ones like the 3 in the center, its just about $3 more per pound.  I like the way outer trim for kabob's, tacos, ground beef...
  • #22 by glitchy on 25 May 2019
  • I'm also leaning towards learning towards buying only whole tenderloins and learning to break them down myself. Any of you try that and have any advice?

If you mean buying an untrimmed tenderloin and trimming it.  This is what you'll end up with.  PM me and I'll send you video.

Yeah, that’s actually what I had recently looked at thinking it was what they sold.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 May 2019
  • From what I remember, I think Sam's and Costco sell tenderloin that is already trimmed and is the whole of the 3 pieces in the picture above.  I don't remember if Restaurant Depot sells them that way or not.
  • #24 by pmillen on 25 May 2019
  • Costco sells trimmed and untrimmed tenderloins.  They call the trimmed ones "peeled".  I think because they remove the major silver skin.  They "peel" it.

Whenever I've bought a trimmed one, I still needed to trim it a bit.  At the thick end there's been a short strip of silver skin between the three separate muscles.  I separated them and discarded the silver skin.
  • #25 by pmillen on 25 May 2019
  • Yes, there will be some trimming to get to a "proper" steak.  Paul can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the whole cut is a "PSMO"...I think Costco may have trimmed ones like the 3 in the center, its just about $3 more per pound.  I like the way outer trim for kabob's, tacos, ground beef...

Peeled Side Muscle On

Yep.  Costco leaves the "chain" side muscle on.
  • #26 by glitchy on 25 May 2019
  • Thanks for the info guys! I need to see what it selling for right now, but sirloin has been running 8.99-10.99/lb and ribeyes and strips 10.99-14.99/lb at local grocery stores, so seems like if I can get a choice tenderloin for 14.99/lb it's worth the work of cutting, bagging, etc.
  • #27 by grilltreats on 26 May 2019
  • I have been impressed with the Bullseye so far.  I seared some thick cut ribeyes  last night at 600 on the dome temp, but was using the flat side on the GrillGrates, which was probably more like 700.  They had a great sear and were quite flavorful.
  • #28 by pmillen on 16 Aug 2019
  • In the interim, I noticed that the REC TEC web site has listed the Bullseye as "OUT OF STOCK".

Three months later...still listed as OUT OF STOCK.  I suspect that they could list it as MANUFACTURER DISCONTINUED or just remove it from the product list.
  • #29 by pmillen on 16 Aug 2019
  • Got the charcoal today and will see if there is a noticeable difference with a cheeseburger!  I have no chimney starter and I dont want to use an accelerate on it, so getting the coals going should be an interesting dilemma!

Bentley, did you grill a burger over charcoal?  I don't recall reading about it.

I could probably do burgers in my Fast Eddy and also hot and fast on gas and charcoal but it wouldn't be a blind test for me 'cause I do the grilling.
  • #30 by Bentley on 16 Aug 2019
  • Yeah, I actually though you made a comment in the thread, but I also thought I posted about it here, so I am off to look for it!  Never did the blind taste test...that is what I need to get done, but feel like I am stepping out into a swamp every time I go outside for the last month, and it is to be that way for another 4-6 weeks!

Found it!  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=3951.0

My Memphis is out of commission right now, so I will be grilling a tri-tip on the weber that my sister Karen left tomorrow night.  Am having brother and SIL over, will see if there are any unsolicited comments about it being the best ever or has a different/better taste then the last few!
Pages:
Actions