Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Our GEB pup Dozer  (Read 6569 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Our GEB pup Dozer
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Not the best photo -- he seems a bit shy of looking right at the camera.  Maybe in a few weeks he will blossom!!!  He is 4 months, 1 week and 29 pound.  Only picked him up less than 4 hours ago and he has been a bit of a handful.  But I am cutting him some slack -- we are his 3rd home in 7 days and he drove in a van from NY state this morning for nearly 8 hours and then transferred to us for another hour drive.  Then had to try and settle into a whole new home.  So I think the baby needs a bit of a break from the rigorous structure.  We will start fresh tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:27:40 AM by Kristin Meredith »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Our GEB pup Doser
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »

:)

If you want to be a packmate and can spare the time, sit on the floor with him.  If he comes to lay down near you, just put a hand on him and sit quietly.  I usually read or listen to quiet music on headphones.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »

OK, thanks and will do.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »

My instincts are strong with dogs I guess, as I always do that with them.  It is just fun for me more then anything else!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
Re: Our GEB pup Dozer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

I have a huge soft spot for labs. He’s such a pretty dog.
We found 30 min walks work wonders.
Our current yellow had a rough puppy life. She was just tied outside with a bark collar, no attention, no companionship. My son got her when she was 13 months. She would bark constantly if outside alone, if the gate even cracked she would charge the opening, bowl you over and run.
Taking a que from Cesar my son started walking her every day. In about a month she mellowed out and has become the best dog I’ve ever had.

Congrats on the pup and bless you guys for taking the time to train one for such a good cause.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:56:39 AM by Fire708 »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Maybe a little better photo, at least you can see his face.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »

Thanks for what you do Kristin. But here's the thing that I wonder about...

These puppy's are shuffled round and round early in life. Maybe I'm thinking to close to humans; but does that not create an unstable environment for them? They get to know and love a handler, then get switched off to another. Seems rather traumatic to me. But I'm not the 'dog whisperer'.

Could you elaborate on that issue?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »

I don't have any deep understanding of the issue, but just based on my limited personal experience it does not seem to affect goldens and labs.  Dexter was at the SDWR facility until he was 4 months, then came to me until 12 months, then was with a professional trainer for a month and has now been with Aaron, his permanent person for nearly two years.  It does not seem to have affected his ability to do his job or be attached to Aaron.

I don't know that I think moving them around creates instability.  In fact, GEB works very hard to make sure all puppy raisers know what they are doing and can provide a warm and stable home for a pup.  But they also believe in sometimes moving them just so they get use to new situations.  I expect that, during the next year, Dozer will probably go to other sitters homes once or twice and other dogs will come here.  But we all try and follow the same guidelines and interact with them the same for training.  Their "parent" sends detailed instructions on when they eat and bathroom and sleep so that we can try and stay on schedule. But they want the dog to have different experiences so it is able to be comfortable and focused in their final placement.

I think also that, even though they want the dog to bond with their human, they also want the dog to first and foremost consider itself a working dog there to do a job for the person they are with.  So the job becomes the focus.  Just like me and my law career.  I was with 3 different firms in 30 years.  There was always an adjustment and some sadness leaving behind colleagues and familiar working environments, but I still had a job to do and so just moved forward.  But it is a good question and I will try and remember to bring it up in the next class.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:22:13 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Dozer attended his first big event last night at the Washington DC Hilton. A group of University Professionals was holding a conference and GEB was invited to bring dogs to a cocktail hour and mix with the guests. Folks get to pet the pups and we get to share about GEB and puppy raising and the group usually makes a contribution to GEB. It was a fun night and a really good experience for Dozer -- lots of sights, smells, sounds and people. There was some barking and excitement, but overall he was pretty calm and well behaved considering he is 5 months old and this was his first real outing -- and there were 11 other dogs also, so that was new for him.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »

Do you take him pretty much everywhere with you?
I just kind of figured that they would get plenty of socializing in order to kind of “de-sensitize “ them.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »

Right now he only has his kerchief, not his jacket.  He gets his jacket at 6 mos and in most states that allows him access everywhere legally.  So, for now, I ask if he can come in and most places are very accommodating. But because he is so young, we have really limited things to outings at parks, outside in the downtown area, and Lowe's, the FD, and the VCE office.  Even after he gets his jacket, I will try and ask as we are not trying to be pushy, but courteous.

With a Guiding Eyes pup, I am learning that there is a lot more than just exposing the pup to situations and trying to have him experience it.  That is certainly a big part and so that is why he goes nearly everywhere I go.  But, because he will be with a visually impaired person, he needs to be in control and calm in every situation because the impaired person can't see if he is acting out/reacting to something or picking something off the floor, etc and correct him as often happens with other service dogs even after they are placed. So not so much de-sensitizing as actually teaching him to be in control and calm and even teach him to problem solve and not be frustrated.  It is why those two guide dogs could lead their blind owners down from some of the top floors of the World Trade Center after the attack on 9-11.  They had not been exposed to smoke, confusion and noise like that prior to that day, but they had been successfully taught and trained how to calmly react and be in control in a variety of situations because of the focused training they had gone through for nearly 2 years.

So I need to be a lot more involved and help guide him through situations -- numerous times -- until he has it under control at all times. There are times when I know I just can't devote that focused attention to him and I leave him at home for that trip to the grocery store, etc.  Hopefully, as we progress, we will get better as a team(really, I will get better as a handler) and he will go to nearly every place I go. 

But, for example, right now I am seriously thinking of leaving him with one of the GEB puppy sitters when we go to Minnesota for the FSU football game.  Would it be a great experience for him?  Absolutely, but probably not so much for me.  It would be such a new experience for him that I would have to spend most of my time focused on him and making sure he was learning the appropriate way to interact and I would probably not enjoy any social aspect of the game.  One of the things I like about GEB is that they get that and that is why they have volunteer, well trained puppy sitters who can take the pup so the raiser can have a break when they need it.

ps -- I am not sure I am explaining this well, but it is a much more active role in trying to teach the puppy than I experienced with the prior organization.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:55:56 PM by Kristin Meredith »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »

I think you explained it very well.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »

I think you explained it very well.
indeed you did, very interesting.
What a truly great thing you are doing.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »

It is a benefit to me.  I am retired and still need to be somewhat active.  This is all a new learning experience for me, so keeps my mind going learning new skills.  I am the only puppy raiser with a dog this young in my region, so right now I am getting private training classes which is a huge benefit.  We spent an hour teaching me how to train him to heel and another hour just sitting on a bench teaching me how to help him calmly observe folks and kids and noises without getting excited or upset.  I never knew there was so much to learn!!! And walking him every day has health benefits -- I have lost 15 lbs so far.  So I think I am getting a good deal!!

yorkdude

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »

It is a benefit to me.  I am retired and still need to be somewhat active.  This is all a new learning experience for me, so keeps my mind going learning new skills.  I am the only puppy raiser with a dog this young in my region, so right now I am getting private training classes which is a huge benefit.  We spent an hour teaching me how to train him to heel and another hour just sitting on a bench teaching me how to help him calmly observe folks and kids and noises without getting excited or upset.  I never knew there was so much to learn!!! And walking him every day has health benefits -- I have lost 15 lbs so far.  So I think I am getting a good deal!!
Just keeps getting better, how cool is this!
Had zero idea about any of this and it is very interesting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up