Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Nov 2018
  • Our last big outing before Dozer leaves.  Seven GEB pups on program ranging in age from 5 months to a year old tour the U.S. Capitol.  The staff was extraordinary and took such great efforts for us. A wonderful day!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #47 by yorkdude on 01 Dec 2018
  • Very neat.
  • #48 by pmillen on 01 Dec 2018
  • Hmmmm.  Dozer gets to see the Capitol before I do.

Maybe you could put a collar and leash on me and...Oh, that's weird.  Forget I said that.
  • #49 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Dec 2018

Maybe you could put a collar and leash on me and...Oh, that's weird.  Forget I said that.

Well, come visit and we will take you.  No collar or lease -- maybe some kibble!
  • #50 by yorkdude on 02 Dec 2018

That made me laugh.
  • #51 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2018
  • It was pretty funny!
  • #52 by reubenray on 03 Dec 2018
  • I thought of Dozer when I saw the picture of Sully lying in front of Bush's casket.
  • #53 by yorkdude on 03 Dec 2018
  • I thought of Dozer when I saw the picture of Sully lying in front of Bush's casket.
    I honestly thought the exact same thing.
  • #54 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Dec 2018
  • Service dogs get very attached to the people they are matched with and work with.  I know there will be a period of adjustment for Sully and that is probably why he is being sent back to the training facility for the holidays and then he will go to Walter Reed Medical Center to work with two other service dogs in helping in rehab with vets with disabilities.  Still a life of purpose for Sully in the future.  Hopefully the same will be said of Dozer when he completes his training.
  • #55 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Dec 2018
    I honestly thought the exact same thing.

Me too
  • #56 by yorkdude on 03 Dec 2018
  • Service dogs get very attached to the people they are matched with and work with.  I know there will be a period of adjustment for Sully and that is probably why he is being sent back to the training facility for the holidays and then he will go to Walter Reed Medical Center to work with two other service dogs in helping in rehab with vets with disabilities.  Still a life of purpose for Sully in the future.  Hopefully the same will be said of Dozer when he completes his training.
    I am sure a lot of people don't give these animals much thought. I am also pretty sure that they are probably the MOST valuable tool that the person (whom counts on them) has at their disposal, other than human intervention.
    Seeing Sully laying by the casket is just such a stark reminder of their loyalty, level of training, the animals feelings and probably so many other things.
    It truly kind of makes me misty eyed when I think how awful it is to say goodbye to our pets and this wonderful and remarkable dog just showed me that the feelings are mutual, how sweet is that?
  • #57 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Dec 2018
  • We are taking Dozer to his new home on Sunday.  Last night I met the little girl who will be coming into our home in January -- Lottie.  She is just a few days over 8 weeks old in this photo.  Not only is she cute, she is a smart little thing!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #58 by pmillen on 14 Dec 2018
  • Ooooh.  Lottie is darling!
  • #59 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Dec 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

In less than 24 hours, we will be in the car, taking Dozer to his "granny" Jocey (she raised his Dad, Finley) where he will stay for 2 weeks and then he will transfer to Holly who will complete his training before he goes up for his IFT and hopefully guide college in the summer. Dozer came to us at 4 1/2 months old and 30 pounds and leaves at 11 mos and 60 lbs. He is smart, learns quickly, can be a pain, and is mainly a great joy! I have shared some of his time with us with you all -- from just today in front of the Christmas tree to all the way back to his first week with us -- and you all have been very kind to be so interested.  He loves the outdoors -- running and being in the sun -- but also loves the fire. His favorite game seems to be "solo blanket war". He can be a clown and a dofus at times and make me laugh. He loved to think he was going to get through that gate to the cats. He has been on some great outings with other pups and I think we have made a good start. I know Holly will be able to take him up a step because she is more experienced than I and that will be wonderful for him. I think he has great potential and it is my heart felt desire to see him matched with a visually impaired person at his graduation and leading a life of purpose. It is a little sad to let go, but I always knew this day would come (even if it is a little sooner than I thought). All the best to my boyo!!! And thanks for following his journey.
  • #60 by ZCZ on 16 Dec 2018
  • Such a neat saga.  Thanks for sharing!
    Al
Pages:
Actions