Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Our GEB pup Dozer  (Read 6592 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Our GEB pup Dozer
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2019, 07:54:01 AM »

I have received the first report on Dozer's guide training and thought a few may be interested.  The first month, the dogs are primarily getting use to the kennels and their new routines and being with other dogs.  They are also neutered and given time to recover.  They do some very basic training.  The seocnd month is when they start in with their more intensive work and this report comes after the end of that period.  This is what the trainer has to say:

Dozer and I have been working together for about a month, getting to know each other and introducing a few new skills along the way.  Dozer is a sweet and affectionate boy, generally willing to do what is asked of him, but he can get nervous and distracted at times and is not always quick to regain his focus.  He has made steady progress in this area and should continue to improve.  Dozer is able to learn new skills fairly easily, but tends to lose motivation, requiring some extra effort on the handlers part to keep him engaged.  Dozer has recently begun his initial harness work, learning to lead out and pull into the harness.  Again, he has picked up on the cues fairly easily, but is not particularly motivated to keep going, often stopping to look back at the handler or sniff something along the ground.  At this point, his training sessions primarily focus on building up his motivation and drive in the work, staying connected with the handler and focused as he begins to understand his responsibilities.  So far I have really enjoyed working with him and look forward to seeing how he can progress toward becoming a guide.

Only time will tell if Dozer will choose guide work.  The dogs are never forced and only 45% who are born make it all the way through.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will start to focus more and like this work because I think he is a great dog!

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »

"Hard work" pays off. Unfortunately not always in the way one wants..Whatever the outcome you can be very proud of your efforts and dedication..As for Dozer, he will make some lucky person a very loving companion. Thanks for the update - very informative.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »

So much goes into this that so many, I would assume have no clue. I surely didn’t. Whatever the outcome, your efforts along with the many others working to raise, train and socialize these dogs have to feel tremendously proud. It has to be so rewarding personally. What a wonderful thing you do.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »

I get ten times more out of it than I put into it, so I am the lucky one to be part of these pups journey!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »

Just received Dozer's second report when we came home today, so I am sharing:

Trainer's Comments:

Dozer has been making some good progress during this cycle.  He is calm and responsive in most situations, and is developing a good work pattern.  He does tend look to the handler for direction, and doesn’t generally show a great deal of initiative, but he is steadily building confidence and his work continues to improve.  He has been able to take on some responsibility, especially in known areas, working accurately and consistently with minimal handler input.  Dozer is now preparing for his first evaluation with his handler under blindfold.  He will need to show an ability to stay focused and responsive under some pressure.  As long as his evaluation is successful, Dozer will then begin to learn some more advanced guide work concepts such as platform work and traffic response.  Dozer has already been practicing riding the escalator.  He was a bit nervous at first, but his with a bit of repetition he is now able to stay relaxed and responsive while approaching and boarding.  We will continue to work on helping Dozer build confidence in his ability to work independently to become successful as a guide.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »

Just received Dozer's 3rd report.  He has done well enough to move on to the final phase, but this phase will be the critical make or break one, so send good thoughts to him as he completes his final phase of training and may be successfully matched with a visually impaired person:

Trainer's Comments:

Dozer has been doing well this cycle.  He does best when he has a chance to build a relationship with his handler, but even when changing handlers he has been maintaining good composure and responsiveness while working.  Dozer is still occasionally prone to some distraction, particularly toward other dogs, but he is generally able to regain focus fairly quickly.  Dozer will soon undergo his final evaluation with his handler under blindfold.  He will need to demonstrate that he understands all the fundamental skills we have been practicing, and that he can handle the added pressure of blindfold work. As we approach the end of our training cycle, we will continue to work in a variety of environments including everything from mid-town Manhattan to small town country travel, proofing and polishing all of Dozer’s skills with the ultimate goal of preparing him for placement.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »

So far so good, way to go Dozer! That training in mid-town Manhattan would do me in! I appreciate the updates.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

yorkdude

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »

Sounds like all is good, lot's of atta boy's for him.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »

Dozer's Final Report -- he has made it!!!  He has done everything he should and now will be matched with a visually impaired person and work with them to become a working guide!!!  I am so happy and excited.  I guess they are looking at potential matches right now.  If they are successful (maybe already have matched him) he will graduate with his handler on January 25, 2020.  Good boy Dozer!

Trainer's Comments:

Dozer has been keeping busy this holiday season polishing up all his skills, and he's doing really well.  However, he has decided that he does not particularly care for Community Running with our large group of dogs.  He prefers to hang out near his trainer, and shows some discomfort when approached by other dogs.  He is more comfortable in smaller groups, though he can still get a bit possessive over his toys.  He is easily called away from any tense situations, and does not seek out trouble, so his behavior is not currently affecting his eligibility as a guide.  In fact, he will be considered for placement in an upcoming class as we are currently seeking an appropriate match for him.  He is generally willing and easygoing in his temperament, and his work has been accurate and consistent so he should be suitable for a variety of clients.  I believe he does form a strong relationship with his handler, and we will look to match him with someone who can foster that relationship as well as provide clear and consistent structure for Dozer.  I have very much enjoyed working with Dozer, and I look forward to seeing him continue is career as a guide.  Thanks so much for all the time hard work you have dedicated to helping this funny boy reach his full potential!

ps by Kristin -- the issue with the dogs dates back to about June 2019 when Dozer was with his other raiser at a campsite.  He was tied on a line.  Someone let their dog run wild, a big one, and it attacked Dozer. His other raiser is a retired police officer and got her pistol and thought she would have to shoot the other dog when it's owner appeared.  Dozer was not seriously hurt, because Holly was beating on the other dog with a chair, but we did fear it might prevent him from guiding.  These dogs are breed to be gentle and not attack even if attacked.  But he overcame it.  Good boy Dozer!

yorkdude

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2020, 02:41:51 PM »

That is absolutely terrific, what a tremendous sense of pride you must feel.
Congratulations to all who made this possible.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »

Well, big news.  Dozer is now a graduate and has a handler and is a working guide.  We got to go to his graduation in NY yesterday.  I cried the whole time!!!  So proud of him.

Here’s some info from Guiding Eyes about Katie and Dozer:

“Graduate Team: Catherine and Dozer
About the Team: Dozer, a male black Lab, is Katie’s 1st guide dog
Hometown: Seward, Alaska

Katie comes to us, all the way from the shores of Alaska, for her first guide dog. She attends classes at the Alaska Center for the Blind & Visually Impaired, where she is learning Braille, baking/cooking, activities of daily living (ADL) and computer skills. She also participates in various “TRAILS” events through her local Independent Living Center. Katie enjoys playing the flute, painting ceramic bisque ware and baking cookies, often gifting batches to the fire department or seniors center. She is looking forward to introducing Dozer to her two young nieces, ages 4 & 8, who have “Facetimed”, but anxiously wait to meet this new furry member of the family in person.

How would you describe your guide dog? “He’s amazing. He has so much energy and is always ready to go for a walk. We’re learning to work together; I just love him. He loves his job and works hard. He has that good, steady encouragement about him. He also has a fun personality. He’s such a goof and loves to play with the other dogs in class. He’s always watching what’s going on around him.”

What made you decide to apply for a guide dog from Guiding Eyes? “As my vision was declining, I was curious about having a guide dog. My instructors encouraged me, so I did my research. Listening to the other guide dog users at the Center talk about their experiences with Guiding Eyes, and seeing their dogs’ behavior – how excited they were to work – made me want to apply here.”

What are you looking forward to about returning home with your guide dog? “It’s going to be a whole new world! Being on our own, navigating differently. Instead of cane ‘zig zags’ in the snow, there will be pawprints! It’s going to be fun and interesting, because he’ll be a focal point in my small town where people know me and there are no other guide dogs. A new adventure; especially if I get the chance to pursue a B.A. in Social Work at the University of Alaska. That’s a goal I’m working on.”

Were there any training highlights? “Meeting him by name, working on the training, meeting the classmates and working together – that’s been really cool and interesting. Especially being here for my first guide dog and learning a new way of doing things and not running into people! We trained on escalators and I was hesitant the first time, but he was great. His talents are really amazing; how he helps me navigate. Everyday things – a store, a walk, the curbs; that solid trust – it’s a big thing.”

Forward Dozer and God Speed.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »

Unbelievably awesome. I got misty eyed reading it. Fantastic.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »

that is awesome...thank you for your contribution to making someone's life better for them
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »

I loved reading this.  I had a little trouble with a blurred screen so I may revisit it.

That's a gorgeous dog!  What a face!  When he looks at you, you must know you're being looked at and that there's some thought behind those eyes.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »

Forgot to ask, did you get to interact with Dozer on this trip?  Did he remember you and Bentley?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up