Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Th3Batman86 on 21 May 2018
  • So this is non-food related. But it is pellet related. The wife and I recently bought our first home in Dec of last year. After over a decade of apartment living. The MIL is ill and needed to be taken care of and that fell to us. After having no outdoor space at the apartment I knew we were going to want to spend a lot of time outside. I also know my wife is perpetually cold, so I needed to look into patio heating. Years ago I recalled seeing a gravity fed pellet patio heater. These are heating pellets of course. A quick google led me to a product made in Mt. Angel, Oregon by a member of the Traeger family. (Mount Angel is where Traeger grills was started) The company is Wood Pellet Products. As I cannot link it here give it a google if you are interested. They also make neat outdoor camp stoves.

Loving the idea that I could get something made local (and the fact that they had a Black Friday sale) I ordered up one of the Big Timber Heaters. I absolutely love it. The build quality is fantastic. And it is just beautiful. Below is a stock photo I grabbed off their website and then some photos of mine burning. This is the first time I have uploaded photos so I apologize if they are weird at all.

It gives off wonderful heat that continues to build once the thermal mass of steel gets up to temperature. It is beautiful to look at and provides a lot of like. I love everything about it, and I just wanted to share it with other people I thought would appreciate it. I am not affiliated in any way with Wood Pellet Products or the Treager family. Just a customer happy to find something made locally with good craftsmanship that should last a long time.

• #2 by Th3Batman86 on 21 May 2018
  • More Photos
  • #3 by pmillen on 21 May 2018
  • Very nice.
  • #4 by pmillen on 21 May 2018
  • Like sitting around a campfire, AKA Caveman TV.
  • #5 by Th3Batman86 on 21 May 2018
  • Like sitting around a campfire, AKA Caveman TV.

And it's always on the best channel. No commercials.
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 21 May 2018
  • So is heating coming from the "body" where there is a fire and also from the top of the chimney and falling down?
  • #7 by Th3Batman86 on 21 May 2018
  • So is heating coming from the "body" where there is a fire and also from the top of the chimney and falling down?

Yes that is the key vs. say the propane one. The entire thing radiates heat. The main body putting off the most (it really cranks it out once the thermal mass gets going. Takes about 30 minutes to reach full hot) and then the stove pipe and the deflector on top are putting out heat. It is almost exactly like sitting by a campfire. We light it and then have to keep backing up  :)
  • #8 by Canadian John on 22 May 2018

•  Super nice.  The only drawback could be not being able to cook marshmallows - A campfire favourite.
  • #9 by Th3Batman86 on 22 May 2018

•  Super nice.  The only drawback could be not being able to cook marshmallows - A campfire favourite.

Agreed, but I wasn't going for a campfire in my backyard ;) If I went camping I would definitely still have a campfire. This was just some outdoor patio heat instead of one of those propane towers. I live in a super residential/subdivision area with a small backyard, an open fire would probably be frowned upon. However, I bet if I removed the chimney (it lifts right off for transport) you could roast a marshmallow over the opening there. Just as long as it didn't fall off and into the fire. That would be a mess to clean up.
  • #10 by triplebq on 22 May 2018
  • Very nice. I might have to look into getting one of these. My wife would love it.
  • #11 by Th3Batman86 on 22 May 2018
  • Very nice. I might have to look into getting one of these. My wife would love it.

My wife absolutely loves it. That is how I got away with spending so much on it. There is nothing better than sitting by a real fire. They have two sizes. I opted to pay a little more for the larger one because it comes with larger windows so more visible fire.
Pages:
Actions