Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 May 2018
  • So, I was trimming up to bone in hind quarters tonight that my father in law gave me.  What is the easiest method to remove the silver skin without taking a lot of meat with it?
  • #2 by pmillen on 22 May 2018
  • Sharp, sharp, sharp pointed thin-blade knife and patience.  If you don't have one in the kitchen the Rapala fish fillet knife with your fishing tackle will be ideal.  Don't try to take a wide strip of silver skin and cut toward it (upward) as you pull up on it. 

You'll take meat but you'll improve as you work.
  • #3 by Mudflap on 22 May 2018
  • Sharp, sharp, sharp pointed thin-blade knife and patience.  If you don't have one in the kitchen the Rapala fish fillet knife with your fishing tackle will be ideal.  Don't try to take a wide strip of silver skin and cut toward it (upward) as you pull up on it. 

You'll take meat but you'll improve as you work.

+1
    Once you get the muscles separated and off the bone I lay on cutting board and take a sharp pointy knife and stick it just under the silver skin on one end but leave some attached and like Pmillen said angle knife towards the silver skin and slice it off.

This is a quick video of cutting it off of some back strap. I don't have a fillet knife so I usually have the silver skin on top. Hope I didn't confuse  you or myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipLeFo1-UEM

Mudflap
  • #4 by pmillen on 22 May 2018
  • This is a quick video of cutting it off of some back strap. I don't have a fillet knife so I usually have the silver skin on top. Hope I didn't confuse  you or myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipLeFo1-UEM

As long as the silverskin is accessible like that, that's a better way than mine.  Thanks.  I've been using the way he removed the "left behind" pieces.

BTW, did you notice that he's using a Rapala fish fillet knife?   :)
  • #5 by Bentley on 22 May 2018
  • It was always like skinning a fish for me!
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 May 2018
  • Thanks, I will view tonight after work.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 May 2018
  • i probably wasted more than I needed to.  watched another video on how to cut up a hind quarter...wish i would have seen that yesterday too.
Pages:
Actions