Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweet Pork Jerky  (Read 994 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Sweet Pork Jerky
« on: May 22, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »

Just put 2.5# of pork loin in each of the marinades for some jerky to be cooked tomorrow or Thursday.  I'm looking forward to trying out these two marinades.  I added cure and hickory smoke powder to both, chipotle pepper flakes to the chipotle one, and MAK sweet rub to the honey one.  Frank's named that sauce right...it just stings a little after the honey and garlic hit you up front.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Re: Sweet Pork Jerky
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »

Can't wait to hear and see the results of those pork baths BBL!

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »

Hadn't seen that franks. Sounds really good. They've really expanded their lineup in the last few years.

Really good idea using those little cambros or whatever brand to marinate your meat. We had stacks and stacks of those things at Subway when I worked there in highschool. May have to get a few.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »

How will you cook these? the Franks sauce looks interesting. I will have to look for it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »

How will you cook these? the Franks sauce looks interesting. I will have to look for it.

Probably smoke for 2-3 hours at 160°-180° depending on the grill used and then into the dehydrator for 2-3 hours at 160°.

Local grocery store had the Frank's for $2.99 then had it $0.50 off sale and the bottle had $1.50 coupon on it so it netted to $1.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

Hadn't seen that franks. Sounds really good. They've really expanded their lineup in the last few years.

Really good idea using those little cambros or whatever brand to marinate your meat. We had stacks and stacks of those things at Subway when I worked there in highschool. May have to get a few.

got the containers at restaurant depot

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »

Waiting on the outcome.  looks good so far.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »

Waiting on the outcome.  looks good so far.

Making it tomorrow along with the Island Beef styles too

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »

Looks like you have a nice little culinary war room with those restaurant style containers, stainless steel prep table, and FRP wall covering.  I’m sure there are other fun gadgets in there.   I’m jealous.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

Looks like you have a nice little culinary war room with those restaurant style containers, stainless steel prep table, and FRP wall covering.  I’m sure there are other fun gadgets in there.   I’m jealous.

Large tub sink to clean containers, pallet for pellets, store grills inside in Winter (sometimes) etc.

Basically my 3rd car garage.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:18:48 PM by Bar-B-Lew »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »

I put the pork jerky on the Elite at 180° around 10am this morning.  I pulled it off after 3 hours and put in the dehydrator.  I also plan to dry in paper bags.  Since I am going to be doing that, I wrote on the bags to help keep me organized with different flavors on different grills and racks and put on at different times.  Will see how well this works out especially after a few of these on Saturday  :beer:

I did have a sneak taste of a small piece of stingin honey garlic and I think that is going to turn out great.  I put some MAK sweet rub on top before putting on the smoker.  I put some MAK chipotle rub on the chipotle molasses slices before they went on the smoker.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »

First tray pulled from dehydrator after about an hour...now to let it dry before before putting in fridge and then vac seal tomorrow.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »

Frank's Stingin' Honey Garlic pork

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »

How'd the honey garlic come out? Very interested in that flavor.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »

my small samples were great....i let them sit in the garage for a few hours and then put them in a small brown bag in the fridge.  will try tomorrow to see if they got any better.

i was surprised that all flavors were really good based on my small samples.  as you noted, i have not always had good results with marinades.  i think the extra spices i through in, setting in fridge for 30+ hours, and putting some extra rub on before going in the smoker all may have helped.  i am quite pleased based on my very small samples.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up