Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweet Pork Jerky  (Read 995 times)

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
Re: Sweet Pork Jerky
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »

wow does that ever look good. Is there any chance of you posting the recipe/instructions from start to finish?
I am a jerky making Virgin so I have a question that may be silly. Could this jerky be made only by smoking it or is the dehydrator necessary?
Thanks very much, I plan to do some experimenting with beef jerky soon and may have to try pork as well.

Thanks for the great post and updates.
Cheers,
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »

Trim a pork loin and slice it into 1/4 inch thick slices.

For the stingin' honey garlic jerky, I poured a bottle in a container with some sweet rub and 1/4 teaspoon of cure per pound of meat and mixed it together with a wisk.  I then poured it over the meat in a container.  Mixed it by hand to get the liquid on all of the meat.  Stored in a container in the fridge for over a day.  Placed strips on frog mats and topped with more sweet rub and set on the grill set to lowest temp (MAK 170° and Memphis 180°).  If you are going to keep on the smoker the entire time, it will be 3-4 ours.

For the chipotle molasses, I did the same thing but used Lawry's marinade and a chipotle rub.

Do a google search for jerkyholic.  That guy has a lot of good information on how to make jerky and tons of recipes if you need them.  You can also buy jerky kits on Amazon or other places that have the dry seasoning and cure packets to prepare 5# of trimmed meat.  I started with those and then started making up my own stuff once I got the hang of it.  I still use those kits too.

LMK if you have any other questions.  I am off to check my batch of INFERNO flavored jerky now.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »

Thank you so much for those instructions. I will stop and get some ingredients on my way home from work today.
Is the main reason you finish yours in a dehydrator more because of time and/or wanting to get another batch on the smoker.
Im just wondering if it turns out just as good if it stays on the smoker the entire time.
I have the RecTec RT 700 with the side smoke box and stays about 60-100 cooler than the smoker side. I was wanting to make some jerky on it and your info will help me get started.
I know the lowest your cooker gets is 170-180 (same as my RT 700), but would you smoke it at lower temps if you could? (like the cold smoke box on the side of my RT 700?)

Thanks again, much appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »

I am not sure I would go below 140 for a long period of time.

Yes, trying the dehydrator to gain more capacity to use the smoker for more batches.  I think it will work out as I have more dehydrator capacity than I do smoker capacity at the moment with a few not working and using one for chicken wings too.

I have made it on the smoker the whole time several times.  You just need to pay closer attention to it because of the higher heat.  I use 160° in the dehydrator and it probably runs 140°-160°.

Good luck!  Share some pics.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up