Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by migraine8626 on 24 May 2018
  • Hi all...
    I have a Traeger pro 22...I have a shoulder done curing on Saturday for buck board bacon...I just found out I can't get to 150 F. as the instructions call for...

The recipe says 150 F. without smoke which I can't shut off the smoke...I called Traeger and was told on a 85 F day the smoke setting will go to 180 F....Any suggestions will be appreciated...Thanks as always...Rock
  • #2 by Canadian John on 25 May 2018

•  As long as the control is set to "smoke", a timed function, or it was on the previous controller, just raise the lid a bit holding it open w/ something. Guessing at 1/2". That will allow heat to escape. It shouldn't take much to lower the pit 30º..You'll have to play w/ the opening to get the temp you want.. Wind will be your enemy - just like your stick burners were.  Hope this helps.
  • #3 by dk117 on 25 May 2018
  • I'm a little troubled by this questioning.  I've had the three setting controller, the Traeger 180 digital and now the Ortech.   I can run 120 plus pretty consistently in the morning on smoke mode.  It's one of the main reasons I am not selling the 8 year old Texas.  Smoked salmon also needs these low temps for hours on end.  Are we concluding that the new Traeger controllers and PID's in general won't run under 150?

DK

Go ahead and say a PID can do anything if properly configured, my comment is that my Texas can run all day long under 150 with no problems at all, seems other pits cannot. 
    • dk117
  • #4 by migraine8626 on 25 May 2018
  • Hi DK...

I have a Traeger Pro 22...It has no P settings like the older models...It's only about 9 months old...It has shut down, smoke, 180 and up to 450 F.

I called Traeger and talked to tech...I was told on the smoke cycle temp. can very depending on ambient heat...If it's 85 F. ambient the smoke cycle will go to 180 F. or higher if temp. goes up...

Around 60 F. ambient it should be around 160 F.

Well looks like I'm getting up at 4am to start...

Should I keep it at 160 F the whole time or do I raise the temp. after awhile...Thanks...Rock
Pages:
Actions