Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auger Noise - What May Be Causing It?  (Read 356 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Auger Noise - What May Be Causing It?
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »

So, after about 4-5 years, I finally cleaned up the inside of my Traeger XL.  For those not familiar with it, it is the big unit with two fire pots.  When I turned it on, the right auger started to make a clunking noise.  After about a minute, the breaker tripped.  That may also have been because I was running my Memphis on the same line.  Any thoughts on what would be causing the auger to clunk?  Also, would there be a way for me to disconnect the auger and igniter rod from the controller?  At least that way, I could use the left side of the pit to cook until I feel like dealing with the auger issue.  I could use the right side for warming if necessary.  Who knows - maybe the temp would be low enough for jerky too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
Re: Auger Noise - What May Be Causing It?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »

So, after about 4-5 years, I finally cleaned up the inside of my Traeger XL.  For those not familiar with it, it is the big unit with two fire pots.  When I turned it on, the right auger started to make a clunking noise.  After about a minute, the breaker tripped.  That may also have been because I was running my Memphis on the same line.  Any thoughts on what would be causing the auger to clunk?  Also, would there be a way for me to disconnect the auger and igniter rod from the controller?  At least that way, I could use the left side of the pit to cook until I feel like dealing with the auger issue.  I could use the right side for warming if necessary.  Who knows - maybe the temp would be low enough for jerky too.

JUPITER, Bar-B-Lew

Might be time to reduce a few of the weapons in your arsenal!
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »

If someone wants it for $1000 they can have it.  They are $1995 new and probably need to add shipping to that.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »

I would try it on a circuit that doesn’t have anything else on it. I’m sure there is a cover that can be removed to unplug the auger and the igniter from the controller. Maybe just a little more excess rust buildup in the tube from not using it for years. Don’t give up on it yet.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »

Re breaker:As stated, test using the pit  only plugged into the outlet. If the breaker trips in the first 4 min, the problem is almost for sure one of the hot rods. You'll have to disconnect them one at a time and and re- start the pit. If the breaker doesn't trip w/ the disconnected hot rod, that hot rod is not the cause .Do the same thing w/ the other one.
If the breaker trips well into the cook, yes it could be the auger itself or motor seizing..That would require the auger motor be removed and the auger rotation checked - just lock onto the auger shaft and see how easy it is to turn..Make sure you do a couple of rotations..
Failing the hot rod and auger checks, tripping could be the controller. As you have 2 systems in one. You have the option of using the  one side that works and swapping parts w/ the other..
Try this out and see what you find.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »

I am not so much worried about the breaker as I am the clunking of the auger.  Help with that would be appreciated.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »

There is not much there - the auger. I would bite the bullet and take it apart. It's always simple. You just have to find it..
Pages: [1]   Go Up