Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the Rec-Tec 700?  (Read 4746 times)

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
Cleaning the Rec-Tec 700?
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

Ok guys.  Have watched a few videos on cleaning.  I have the vacuum out the ash, clean the tray and light, etc. stuff figured out.  A quick question i have is what kind of cleaner you are using for the outside?  Stainless steel grill cleaner work?  I am shocked how much xxxx finds it way to being stuck to this bad boy from the lawn mower, webs, pollen, etc. even though i keep it covered and have been using it every week. 

Any thoughts or recommendations? 

Also - anyone use any specific products to clean grates?  I normally just brush them off and am now using one of those wood ones where the teeth mold in from the wood of the tool being hot.  But, i don't normally clean them with any cleaner product.

Also - on the tray.  Interesting debate in my mind.  I started with no foil.  Did 2 cooks and cleaned.  It was a PAIN.  Then I did two more cooks and it didn't get any easier.  So, i scrubbed that bad boy until i had 90% steel and only 10% burnt on stuff i couldn't get off and i went to foil.   Well... I hate the foil approach too.  Ha.  2 cooks in it seems the foil catches and traps stuff that used to go to the drip bucket.  I am thinking of going back to the tray and scrapper.  I know there will be no consensus on this... but what/why do you pick one or the other?
RecTec RT-700 with Cold Smoking Box

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Cleaning the Rec-Tec 700?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »

If you want to keep SS looking good, don't allow it to bake-on the film that has landed on it..I find the Citrus Orange cleaner, Zep (Home Depot) to do a good job as long as it isn't allowed to cook into the surface.. SS cleaners are mostly intended at removing

finger prints, as in kitchen use. They have mineral oil in them to help protect the finish. This oil burns off with heat. Not the best for our pits..Again the best of these is the Zep product.

Once cleaned, I find a low viscosity ( thin) mineral oil to do a better job. You'll find it at the pharmacy.

There are only two options with stainless: Leave it alone and let it do it's thing or, spend the time w/ upkeep.

I find the only way to truly clean a grate short of a clean burn is to "scrape" it w/ a "U" shaped metal scraper that surrounds the top and sides of each section.

I went back to foil w/ my Traeger. After a few foilings, the remaining crud burnt off the tray... The key to foiling is no wrinkles..Double-up at the ends and use the box to hold the foil along the edge and for spreading it out evenly. It takes a bit of practice.

sbryant24

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »

As far as stainless steel grills go, my thoughts have always been, it's a cooker not a Delorean. ;) ;D
Rec Tec RT-680 ( Sold ) Genesis S-330 Firecraft Q-450 ( Selling ) Rec Tec RT-590

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »

Further  cleaning stainless: If spray and wipe doesn't work, there remains - "mild" abrasive such as a glass top stove cleaner using a soft scrubby. Do not let it dry on the stainless otherwise it will be harder to remove. Next is rubbing compound. Hand or machine applied and removed..Lastly is an abrasive paper such as emery attached to a flat block for control and more even pressure. This works well for scratches. Depending on the surface finish, start w/ a # 400 +/- grit, applying a very light pressure at first and checking often.
 The compound and abrasive methods must follow the grain or original polish marks of the stainless otherwise there the finish will be damaged.. A piece of straight wood works well for this used to guide the sanding block in the desired direction.  You can alway practice on an non cared about piece of stainless.
 Bottom line. If you want clean, don't wait.

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »

I can say that Bar Keepers Friend works wonders on my SS cookware set.  I'm also thinking if the drip tray is covered with the thicker non-stick grilling foil with the dull non-stick facing up that that may work to some degree.  In time, I don't think I am going to get to worried about the drip tray, but being new I will try a few times to keep it looking new.  It is a grill and that part may just get a scrape here and there.

I saw something about using automotive wax on the exterior.  Anybody do this.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19
Pages: [1]   Go Up