Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Stampede RT 590 - temp probes  (Read 2977 times)

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
Rec Tec Stampede RT 590 - temp probes
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »

I know that some RT-700 owners have been seeing an issue with their temp probes being off by 10.  I see occasional rumors about an upcoming firmware to fix it, or even that some folks already have the new firmware.

Has anyone heard anything about this from a RT-590 context?  Our units are a bit newer then the 700s, so maybe we'll already have it?  I plan on testing in some ice water just to see when I first get them.   

SmokinGood

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Rec Tec Stampede RT 590 - temp probes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 06:58:45 AM »

I am cooking a pork shoulder today, I will be using my probes so I will let you know. I just got my 590 last wednesday, I have been cooking on it but not long cooks, this will be the first

JV

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »

Could you post some photos as well with the meat or something where we could get an idea of the size?  About to pull the trigger on a 590 myself!  Wife says I have to sell some guitar stuff first though >:(

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »

I’ve done two cooks so far on my new Stampede. Only used the meat probe once with a tri tip. The readings were 10 degrees higher than what my thermapen MK4 showed. When I smoke a pork butt I’ll try to get a more reliable evaluation of the probes.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »

It would be nice to have the probes read true..Does it really matter as long as you know the error factor and can compensate for it?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:04:44 PM by Canadian John »

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »

Yeah -- I can work around a *consistent* 10 degree off for now.  I was just curious if I was gonna have to!  :)   You can adjust the temp offset for the grill itself -- I speculate the new firmware lets you do the same for the meat probes..   just not sure if we'll be getting the new firmware or not.

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

See this other thread..

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2569.0

gkas posted a nice screenshot and explanation of the new screen for probe calibration on a replacement controller board he got.

SmokinGood

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »

Could you post some photos as well with the meat or something where we could get an idea of the size?  About to pull the trigger on a 590 myself!  Wife says I have to sell some guitar stuff first though >:(

Sorry I didn't see this right away. I didn't take any pics. I did find out the temp is 10 degrees hotter on the probes than with a good thermometer.

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »

I have the RT 700 and the RT 340. I just did the ice water calibration test/comparison and I was getting 6-10 deg higher readings on the RT 700 probes and RT 340 probes VS my Thermopop and Maverick 732. I called RT and I was told that within a week or 2 they will have a fix or a way to recalibrate so hopefully its a simple quick fix.
I'm wondering if it has to do with the warehouse being at near sea level and us being at 3500 +/- feet above sea level? But it does sound like a common complaint from folks all over. I'm confident there will be a fix shortly, until then, adjust accordingly or use another temp prob for now.
Cheers,
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »

:'( :'(
Stampede arrived.  Hopper all bent up.  Big holes on the top of the box where the forklift cut through the box and put downward pressure on the hopper.  :(  UPS freight delivery dude was super cool and let me spend time to facebook message RecTec and RecTec said to refuse shipment rather then accept and get replacement parts from them.    Back to waiting!

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:42 PM »

:'( :'(
Stampede arrived.  Hopper all bent up.  Big holes on the top of the box where the forklift cut through the box and put downward pressure on the hopper.  :(  UPS freight delivery dude was super cool and let me spend time to facebook message RecTec and RecTec said to refuse shipment rather then accept and get replacement parts from them.    Back to waiting!

Now that's a bummer for sure, sorry man.  I got my 700 today as well and saw on the box a big cave-in on the large side and a fairly good dent on the end so I got worried.  The driver was handing me the paperwork to sign and I said I have to check the contents first seeing these big dents in the box. I cut the straps and opened it up.  To my amazement, all was fine on the grill with no damages anywhere I could see thank goodness.  I put it together and it is near flawless except for some small scratches in the SS inside.  I wished you would have had the same luck.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

ehubbard

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »

Gratz on the 700!  Yeah.. I'm bummed..  Ordered the stampede for my birthday back on March 25th.   

Ralphie

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »

Did a 15 hour brisket cook this weekend. The meat probe was again consistently 10-12 degrees higher than my thermapen. I’ll do one or two more long cooks so I can experiment with the other probe and port before I call it in.
On the other hand, the grill temp probe is dead on according to my other oven thermometers i put in there and the unit holds that temp within one degree or dead on the entire time. I’m actually shocked with its efficiency.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »

Perhaps the 10º - 12º higher probe reading is deliberate. RT isn't the only manufacturer that has probes reading ~ 10º over actual..The reason I believe is to assure that an overcook condition doesn't develop... Remember "carryover", where the meat

temperature continues to rise?   This is especially true in the  cases of wi-fi use, where the operator/cook is't always at the pit the instant the desired temperature is reached even though the pit temp setting is automatically lowered to its minimum when the

probe setting is reached...   Just my thoughts.

Ralphie

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »

On one hand, I’d like it to be as close to exact as possible. On the other hand, if I know it’s consistent then I’m not really put off by it.  No more of an inconvenience than having my clock set 10 minutes forward.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up