Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up an XT today  (Read 2165 times)

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Picked up an XT today
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:57:25 PM »

I'd been trying to decide what smoker to get next - I've never been happy with the smoking performance of my Louisiana Grills CS-450 (decent grill at 350+, but a terrible smoker). A Yoder, Mac, or Memphis has always been my dream, but I just can't justify that much money. So, after looking at the Copperhead vertical, and seriously considering the new RecTec RT700, I happened to be in the local ranch+farm supply and saw they are selling CampChef and had the XT on sale for $299. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up!

Seems to be designed and runs much like the old Traeger 070 up at some family property, which is exactly what I want - lots of smoke output and I can sear on another BBQ if I really need high temps. Should be putting it through it's paces here for Memorial Day Weekend and in the next week. So far it seems to be exactly what I want in a basic pellet smoker, just need to pick up a front shelf. I'm completely fine with it being a basic feed rate, non-PID controller - they work better for smoking in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:01:08 PM by ScottE »
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

bten

• Using less gas.
Re: Picked up an XT today
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »

I have the SE version.  It has the simple controller and plain legs.  The thing makes great BBQ.  I just smoked a ham and a pork loin this weekend.  Both came out great!

I have done ribs and brisket, both coming out very moist.  It is a great little smoker.

ScottE

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »

First meal in the XT was chicken fajitas, it ran great at 400. Today I'll do some 1-2-3 pork ribs.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

First meal in the XT was chicken fajitas, it ran great at 400. Today I'll do some 1-2-3 pork ribs.

What are 1-2-3 pork ribs?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »

I may be wrong, but I believe ScottE meant to write 3-2-1.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »

I may be wrong, but I believe ScottE meant to write 3-2-1.

I thought that may be the case too but was curious if there was a 1-2-3 technique I have never heard of.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ScottE

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »

Darn it, yes I meant 3-2-1 but I guess I'm a bit backwards today. Holiday brain ;-). Sorry about that!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »

Darn it, yes I meant 3-2-1 but I guess I'm a bit backwards today. Holiday brain ;-). Sorry about that!

No problem...let us know how they turn out.

ScottE

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »

The ribs turned out great! Overall I'm really impressed with this smoker - excellent smoke output and the ash cleanout system is just plain ducky. I started the ribs on "lo smoke" and did have a flameout after an hour - the smoker was in direct sun and it was fairly windy, so I'm hoping that either the wind blew it out or the controller just couldn't get the temp down. Time will tell, but I hope this isn't a recurring issue. After rescuing the ribs as restart brought the temps up above 300, I did the rest of the cook on "hi smoke", which worked great (temps were ~250 indicated, but warm day and direct sunlight, so I'm OK with that. After foiling I set it to 225 - and it stayed in the neighborhood of that setting consistently. The ribs, which were very lean and meaty back ribs were perfect! The meat was tender without being overcooked - and just starting pull away. Happy that I don't need to use a smoker tube like I do in my Dansons smoker, which produces nearly zero smoke with it's controller.

I'm going to look past the one flameout due to environmental conditions for now - will see if that happens again. Coming up hot after restart is no problem - something I expect with this controller, so that's OK. So, my verdict is that this was a great purchase for $299 and I'm happier with it than my $799 LG CS-450 which has been a constant struggle to get it to do anything right.

(I'll try and post pictures as separate posts - I'm on a slow cellular connection and it's timing out.)

ScottE

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »

Pic 1

ScottE

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »

Pic 2

ScottE

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »

PIc 3

ScottE

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »

Prepared with a mustard base and Hi Mountain Seasonings Rib Rub from Riverton, WY that I found at the ranch store - it's a nice rub.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 03:22:29 PM »

Nice rack!
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up