Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cycling fan modification for more smoke  (Read 1213 times)

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
Cycling fan modification for more smoke
« on: May 29, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »

For those with grills that have non-cycling fans I have just finished installing a cycling timer that I can turn on/off and hopefully generate more smolder and smoke.  I attached a few pics and would be glad to add a simple schematic if there is interest, even though not all grills are wired the same the basics are easy to add without much technical ability or tools.  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Cycling fan modification for more smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »

Interesting.  A schematic would be nice...I would assume the delay relay is simply inserted in series in the fan circuit.... What pit is this installed on and how is it working?   Nice thread!

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »

looks like a smokinbrothers.

https://www.smokinbrothers.com/

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »

I'm not sure how pulsing the fan helps produce smoke. If the pulsing is not tied to temperature the fire will go out. When I first got my DC, the fan pulsed once the set temperature was reached and it continued to pulse until the temperature went below the set temperature. I believe that the pulsing was intended to slow down the burn rate and stabilize temperature. Let us know if it works.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »

Interesting.  A schematic would be nice...I would assume the delay relay is simply inserted in series in the fan circuit.... What pit is this installed on and how is it working?   Nice thread!

It is in series when the normally closed double throw is in the normal mode.  The relay is off unless the double throw switch is in the other position, which breaks the path from the pit controller and directs the current to the timer relay instead of the direct output to the fan.  I will do a schematic this week end and post.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:42:24 PM by RichW »
Smokin Bros Premium 24

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »

I'm not sure how pulsing the fan helps produce smoke. If the pulsing is not tied to temperature the fire will go out. When I first got my DC, the fan pulsed once the set temperature was reached and it continued to pulse until the temperature went below the set temperature. I believe that the pulsing was intended to slow down the burn rate and stabilize temperature. Let us know if it works.

The pulsing of the fan in 3 sec. on and off cycles causes the pellets to smolder more and the air flow starts the smoke push all over each time it cycles.  The temperature should first be established before switching to pulsed mode.
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 01:59:17 AM »

It works really well on my RecTec that has it built in. I get a ton more smoke when I have the supersmoke mode turned on. I use it for jerky.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,
Pages: [1]   Go Up