• #1 by dk117 on 30 May 2018
  • Will edit shortly

DK [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #2 by dk117 on 30 May 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #3 by Ralphie on 30 May 2018
  • Looks delicious.  What does ABT stand for? 
  • #4 by dk117 on 30 May 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #5 by dk117 on 30 May 2018
  • OK not trying to pump up my post count.

First we validated that yes indeed some of my iPhone pictures are too big to post and had to be edited down. 

Next I need to fix orientation on pictures.

Finally the real reason for the post(s)

Atomic Buffalo Turds
    I like to get 10 jalapenos and cut in half  (these I often put in a freezer bag and sprite overnight to take a bit of the heat off)
    Fill with I think it's 8 oz of Philly cream cheese mixed with rub and shredded cheese.
    Thick cut bacon cut in half.  I'm no longer as worried about presentation as I once was, these are little sloppy and still tasted the same.
    The new entry is what I'm calling onion jelly.
    Something like this.  One white onion diced and caramelized, one quarter cup brown sugar, One tomato diced (still unsure if the tomato adds value or not) then another sweet onion diced (but added to the mix after the initial onion is caramelized) then a quarter cup grape jelly.   I then ran it through the food processor.  Very sweet on top of the smoke and heat.

And finally the plating. 

DK

PS something like an hour at 180, another 30 mins at 225.  All depends on how crisp you want the bacon vs the peppers.    Result there is different almost every time.
    • dk117
  • #6 by Conumdrum on 30 May 2018
  • I love ABT's :)

I make them any time I use my Weber 22" when cooking stuff using my Vortex.  What you put inside is a personal preference but always wrapped in yummy bacon.  My fav is the cream cheese with pineapple and a pre-cooked (pan fried) mini sausage. 

For the heat challenged folks, a tip.

Cut the japs as normal, and clean the white and seeds.  Put in a bowl of really hot water, like just boiling for 10-20 min.  It pulls out the capasain and still has the great flavor of japs. When you drain the water, sometimes you get a whiff of the heat as you drain the water.

Darn, they are great snacks!  They fridge very well and reheat fine in the microwave.

ABT's are one of the best BBQ snack foods for sure!
  • #7 by leppolite on 30 May 2018
  • I have made these several times now and I just cant get the bacon to crisp up at all. I can get it to be not rubbery but anything even close to crisp is still evading me.
  • #8 by bregent on 30 May 2018
  • I have made these several times now and I just cant get the bacon to crisp up at all. I can get it to be not rubbery but anything even close to crisp is still evading me.

You may just need to cook longer - really for me the key to when they are done is when the bacon gets crispy and that can take several hours.  I like to use homemade bacon that I slice on the thin side as it crisps faster.

Here are my notes from that cook:

" I set the DLX to 175 but after 2 hours the bacon was not crisping at all. So I bumped it up to 225 for another hour. I glazed the ABTs and MOINKS and then back into the smoker set to 275 for 15 minutes."
  • #9 by leppolite on 30 May 2018
  • Thanks, I have not cooked them for that long...yet. I will give it a try and I will be thrilled if I can finally find the right combo.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 30 May 2018
  • I have had to cook them as much as 3 hours at 225 to 250 to have the bacon completely cooked.
  • #11 by fryfour on 31 May 2018
  • i fry the bacon on the stove until its half way cooked. then wrap peppers. works pretty good for me. 
  • #12 by dk117 on 31 May 2018
  • always interesting to see how a conversation will evolve.  I thought my onion jelly was going to get attention.   

I've gone so far as to microwave the bacon prior to wrapping (which I haven't done since).  Ultimately I like a little crunch left on the jalapenos and I don't like burnt bacon.  I no longer glaze, but use the onion jelly.   The last picture above is pretty indicative of where I end up.   Bacon is done. 

Bregent, that's amazing presentation skills there.

DK
    • dk117
  • #13 by Conumdrum on 31 May 2018
  • I'd like to try that onion jelly, sorry I didn't mention it.  My ABT's get a dusting of Mad Hunkey Hot xxx wing spice dusted on them.  Never thought about putting anything else on them.

I never made them on the smoker, the Weber with the Vortex has perfect 350 or so temps to cook them to bacon crisp, still bit crunchy japs. 
  • #14 by bregent on 31 May 2018
  • Thanks DK.

I will add that the bacon never really gets crispy. It's stays a little chewy - completely bite through and not at all rubbery. I wouldn't want it to get the point where it would snap or crumble.

The glaze I use is just a mix of butter and jalapeno jelly.
  • #15 by DMAXNAZ on 31 May 2018
  • I made some over the weekend too. As always, they were a huge hit!
Pages:
Actions