Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Canadian John on 19 Jun 2018
  • I think there is a little more to it then heat sink...what about the evaporating water dynamic?
    Has a cooling effect.
  • #32 by bbp1 on 28 Jun 2018
  • Same issues here with the temperature spikes. Doing my first cook on the Copperhead 5. Temp set at 225. Then spikes to 450. Has happened 3 or 4 times over the last 15 hours. Lots of flames and smoke.  Will call customer service when I have time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• #33 by Bentley on 29 Jun 2018
  • You have water in the water pan?
  • #34 by reubenray on 29 Jun 2018
  • Same issues here with the temperature spikes. Doing my first cook on the Copperhead 5. Temp set at 225. Then spikes to 450. Has happened 3 or 4 times over the last 15 hours. Lots of flames and smoke.  Will call customer service when I have time.

Good luck and let us know what they say.
  • #35 by bbp1 on 29 Jun 2018
  • You have water in the water pan?
    Most of the time. It evaporated out a number of times

• #36 by slaga on 29 Jun 2018
  • The manual says to replace the water "often". I try to keep the water pan about 3/4 full. I also moved it up one set of holes from the bottom. I have only experienced temperature spikes when the water pan was empty.
  • #37 by bbp1 on 29 Jun 2018
  • The manual says to replace the water "often". I try to keep the water pan about 3/4 full. I also moved it up one set of holes from the bottom. I have only experienced temperature spikes when the water pan was empty.
    I'll give that a try and I'll try reading the manual. Thanks

• #38 by bbp1 on 02 Jul 2018
  • Second try was ribs yesterday. Temp was set at 250. It stayed around that temp for 5 hours and water never evaporated out of the pan. A little over cooked but very tasty

• #39 by reubenray on 03 Jul 2018
    I'll give that a try and I'll try reading the manual. Thanks

I also found that using a small watering can for plants is the easiest way to add water while smoking.
  • #40 by reubenray on 03 Jul 2018
  • Second try was ribs yesterday. Temp was set at 250. It stayed around that temp for 5 hours and water never evaporated out of the pan. A little over cooked but very tasty

How did you have your chimney cap (off, wide open, etc.)?
  • #41 by bbp1 on 03 Jul 2018

How did you have your chimney cap (off, wide open, etc.)?
    1/2+ open. I've never adjusted it.

• #42 by reubenray on 03 Jul 2018
  • Thanks,  I am trying to figure out what is causing my flare-ups.  It did it about 1/2 open and it did it with the cap completely off.
  • #43 by bbp1 on 03 Jul 2018
  • Best I can figure so far is what was mentioned by another member. Not having water in the pan. I feel like that was an after cause of the flare up but I have no idea.

• #44 by LowSlowJoe on 03 Jul 2018
  • There's no P-setting?  Sounds like the classic flameout  ( or almost flameout).   I'm not sure why it would be more prevalent at 225F than when set lower though.
  • #45 by slaga on 03 Jul 2018
  • There's no P-setting?  Sounds like the classic flameout  ( or almost flameout).   I'm not sure why it would be more prevalent at 225F than when set lower though.
    Nope, no P-Setting. The Copperhead 5 has a PID controller.
Pages:
Actions