Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Real Smoke on Copperhead Series 5 Vertical Smoker Issues  (Read 11777 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: First Real Smoke on Copperhead Series 5 Vertical Smoker Issues
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »

I do think the controller and the probe attached to it to drive the auger could be better especially the length of the probe.  But, you get what you pay for and figure out how to make it work.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »

Best I can figure so far is what was mentioned by another member. Not having water in the pan. I feel like that was an after cause of the flare up but I have no idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had plenty of water in the pan both times.  The first time it happened it was boiling the water and I added some to it.  I even raised up the water pan the second time and it still did the flare up.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »

There's no P-setting?  Sounds like the classic flameout  ( or almost flameout).   I'm not sure why it would be more prevalent at 225F than when set lower though.

But what is causing the flameout?  I tend to think it is due to not getting enough oxygen.    I could not get my smoke tube to work which I believe it did not have enough intake air for it to burn.

Also both of my flare ups happened about 3 hours into the smoke.  I was thinking that maybe the control board was getting hot about that time.  When I put mine back together from unplugging the auger I put some foil backed tape on the heat deflector and above the control board.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:41:57 PM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Kevinbbqs4fun

• Lurker
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 07:50:13 AM »

I have had similar temperature spikes. I emailed Pit Boss and the reply message given me was to do this at startup: (1) With the door open, start the unit at 200, (2) Once the pellets catch fire, close the door, (3) Let the fire burn for another 5 minutes before setting the desired cooking temperature. This seemed to work on my next two long smokes--ribs and pork butt.
Another thing I found online was some people suspect another issue is in the water/drip pan. Many believe this prevents sufficient air circulation in the cabinet. So. I stopped using it and have replaced it with a large aluminum pan filled halfway with water. About every 3-4 hours I refill it with fresh water. I may in the future experiment with the original PB water pan by keeping it empty and place the aluminum pan with water directly on top.
I hope this helps.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up