Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by NewToQ on 31 May 2018
  • Hi all. New to the pellet scene and hoping you can help with my ribs. I have done 4 batches of ribs this year all slightly different as I am not getting results I want. For all cooks using my camp chef woodwind and competition blend pellets from Amazen products. Also on all 4 cooks using the smoke tube from Amazen with apple pellets. First batch I did St. Louis style from Costco unwrapped the whole time and dry brined overnight with salt. Ran on high smoke, about 225, the whole way and took off after 7 hours. They never got tender and were dry with limited smoke flavor. Next up was baby backs I did same method and pulled after 6 hours again same results. Last two cooks I did St. Louis again from Costco and 3-2-1 with brown sugar and butter in foil. The only difference between the two was one I basted every hour for first three hours and the other I spritzed. They were more tender but not much flavor and no smoke flavor at all. Any tips on what I should change?? I feel like I have experimented now quite a bit and not getting results.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2018
  • Cook a rack of baby backs at 275° and don't open the grill until it hits the 3 hour mark.  Test for your desired tenderness and cook no more than 45 minutes more.  Report back on your results.  That should solve your tenderness issue.

If it is not smokey enough for you, a pellet grill may not be for you.  I would try putting a finished rack in the fridge in ziplock bags.  Eat it the next day and see if you feel any different about the flavor.
  • #3 by Ross77 on 31 May 2018
  • Using 100% hickory pellets will help with smoke flavor. Pellet blends are lighter flavor IMO.

Cooking at 275 will require a smoke tube. You’ll get little smoke flavor at that temp without one.

If you do the 3-2-1 method at 225-250, spray with Apple juice and use a smoke tube it should be plenty smokey. If not, as Bar-B-Lea said, pellets may not be for you.
  • #4 by wahoowad on 31 May 2018
  • You didn't mention using a rub. I would apply a good rub if you haven't. Then glaze them with a sauce about 30 minutes before removing. This will add a lot of flavor for sure.

Wrapping can make them tender, but can make them fall-off-the-bone tender. Some like that, some don't. I don't. I do not wrap. I just let them cook, spritzing occasionally but not convinced that is required. I use the bend test after I see decent pullback up the bone, usually around the 5 hour mark. You can google up a youtube video on the bend test and what to look for if you aren't familiar with this.

My last batch of ribs sucked. It happens. Usually they are really good.

Good luck!
  • #5 by NewToQ on 31 May 2018
  • Thanks guys I will try the above methods and report back. Appreciate the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #6 by Ross77 on 31 May 2018
  • The spritzing adds moisture which attracts smoke but I’m not sure if it really makes the meat moist.

You’ll go through some trial and error.
  • #7 by bregent on 31 May 2018
  • Another vote for 275, although I sometimes start at 180 for the first hour. I am coming to the conclusion that the higher amount of airflow in a pellet grill can cause the surface of the meat to dry out - and therefore higher temps and faster cooks yield better results, for me at least.

100% hickory is the only pellet I buy anymore. It's the only pellet that gives me enough smoke flavor, and makes life much simpler.

Just curious, what does Amazen charge you for pellets? The prices listed on their website are ridiculously expensive.
  • #8 by NewToQ on 31 May 2018
  • Yes I’m familiar with the bend test and have used a variety of rubs from meatheads Memphis dust, killers hogs the bbq rub, 10 bones bbq rub, plowboys, etc. As for Todd’s prices at Amazen I had a coupon code that took 17% off. If you sign up for the newsletter you will get a code a month...guessing with Father’s Day coming up will get some discount

• #9 by Ross77 on 31 May 2018
  • You should check for local Lumberjack dealers. I pay around $16/40 pound bag locally.
  • #10 by leppolite on 31 May 2018
  • If you stop by the A-maze-n warehouse in Eagan he normally sells 40lb bags for $15.
  • #11 by NewToQ on 31 May 2018
  • If you stop by the A-maze-n warehouse in Eagan he normally sells 40lb bags for $15.
    Dang I wish I lived closer...6.5 hours away in Illinois

• #12 by Ross77 on 31 May 2018
  • I need to find that warehouse.
  • #13 by Kristin Meredith on 31 May 2018
  • Don't dry brine.  Just use rub before putting on the pit.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2018
  • I used to put rub on the day before and put in a container in the fridge.  Didn't really find a difference between that and putting on right before putting on the smoker.  Now, I usually rub and put right on the smoker to save time.
  • #15 by dk117 on 01 Jun 2018
  • Don't dry brine.  Just use rub before putting on the pit.
    please elaborate on the thought process here.    Is this just for pork ribs?   It's not that I haven't heard this suggestion before, it's that I don't understand it.    I'm rub the night before the cook guy.    Is it just a time saver as BBL says?

Thanks

DK

(you could probably convince me that rubbing an hour before the cook is fine, but rub and into the pit ... you're missing the ... I'm not even sure what to call it but the meat absorbs some of the rub, it kind of melts into the meat ... aka dry brine.)
    • dk117
Pages:
Actions