Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Butt bone in vs boneless butt cooking strategy  (Read 385 times)

shadco

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Boston Butt bone in vs boneless butt cooking strategy
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »

Any difference in cooking method?

I’ve done one boneless that came out great.

Shad--
I knew where I was when I wrote this, I don't know where I am now
GMG Daniel Boone

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: Boston Butt bone in vs boneless butt cooking strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »

No difference at all besides the fact that a bone in can take a little longer because the bone is letting off "cold" while you are trying to heat it through. Think of it this way, you are putting a cold hunk of meat in the cooker, and heating it from the outside in. With your boneless it just went all the way through evenly. With the bone in, there is something in part of the meat that is cold and has a different density than the meat and can trap the cold. So the meat near the bone can be as much as 15 degrees cooler than the rest. Personally, I have never had a problem with it, but since you asked, it can take a little longer to be "done".
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »

I have never done a boneless one, but I plan on doing one soon.  I have a rotisserie and it would be a lot easier to put on the spit than the bone-in butts.  I am also hoping to get more rub into it.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »

I did my first boneless ever recently when my wife picked one up without paying attention. I liked it because I could put rub inside of it.  It was basically split down the middle 2/3 of the way.  I tied it with some butcher's twine to keep the split tightly closed for a better probe reading in the center.  It turned out great and I didn't have to pay for a bone.  It took 16 hours L&S just like a typical bone in has in the past.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19
Pages: [1]   Go Up