Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences  (Read 12557 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2019, 06:43:41 AM »

Love to here someone give a unit a year of hard use then good reviews. With SS cook chamber and PID controller looks to be a solid unit at fair price.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »

That is good news! Makes for a very happy pit owner..

grilltreats

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2019, 11:17:07 AM »

Love to here someone give a unit a year of hard use then good reviews. With SS cook chamber and PID controller looks to be a solid unit at fair price.

Very solid unit so far.  I tried to think of a negative, as nothing is perfect, but couldn't think of anything.  I cook year-round in high heat and below freezing weather.  The motors just keep on going, so maybe it's good for the longer haul.

Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

grilltreats

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »

That is good news! Makes for a very happy pit owner..

I am very happy with this grill for sure.  I gave up monitoring the temps.  This smoker just locks on the set temp and doesn't waver more than a couple of degrees regardless of how long it is running.  I can easily forget I'm even cooking sometimes on the longer cooks.  I set the phone alarms for a 15° pit swing (for opening the lid), and the two probe temps for the desired meat temp and wait for them to alarm, then I go about my day at home or away.  Or, I can sleep all night without an alarm waking me up.  Can't get much easier than that.  Just a quick glance at my phone tells me everything I need to know.  There's just no worry with big temp swings.

I can calibrate the pit RTD and the two meat probes to be spot on.  I really like this feature, too.

I haven't cooked on any other pellet grill to compare it to, but for me, I am very pleased with this one.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

julweidn

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »

I love my 700 with one exception. When I cook at high temps (350+) I always have smoldering pellets after I shut down. The general fix seems to be to lower the temp and let it run for a bit, but that has been unsuccessful for me.

At least 3x it has been smoking for an hour after shutdown and I have had to take out in guts to scoop out the smoldering pellets. I could prob leave it and it would burn out, but I don’t like going to bed with it still smoking. That and I keep it covered and can’t do it while it’s actively smoking.

At this point I only cook at low temps to avoid this, so that is a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grilltreats

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »

I love my 700 with one exception. When I cook at high temps (350+) I always have smoldering pellets after I shut down. The general fix seems to be to lower the temp and let it run for a bit, but that has been unsuccessful for me.

At least 3x it has been smoking for an hour after shutdown and I have had to take out in guts to scoop out the smoldering pellets. I could prob leave it and it would burn out, but I don’t like going to bed with it still smoking. That and I keep it covered and can’t do it while it’s actively smoking.

Yes, I did forget about that.  The reason being is that I unplug the grill the second the fan timer stops...No more auger feed running for the next cook.  I haven't had anymore smoldering issues after a hot cook since I've been doing that, which was right after getting the grill.  It lights back up on the next cook just fine.   Give that a try.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

julweidn

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »

Yes, I did forget about that.  The reason being is that I unplug the grill the second the fan timer stops...No more auger feed running for the next cook.  I haven't had anymore smoldering issues after a hot cook since I've been doing that, which was right after getting the grill.  It lights back up on the next cook just fine.   Give that a try.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »

Auger should be off before the fan goes off. ??

grilltreats

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »

Auger should be off before the fan goes off. ??
And it is, but at the end of the 300 second fan run cycle during shutdown,  the auger will run for a set time to load some pellets in the fire pot for the next cook.  This is where the smoldering can occur right after a high temp cook.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »

I don’t know why it does that. Seems like an unnecessary risk. Why not just run the auger longer on startup?
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

grilltreats

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »

I don’t know why it does that. Seems like an unnecessary risk. Why not just run the auger longer on startup?

Most likely for a faster startup,  and to clear any parched pellet from the auger tube tip is my guess.  It's really not a huge deal regardless.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »

I suspect the "shutdown" algorithm is not set right. I would call service at Rec Tec .  I'll bet they can correct it. I have two 590's in our family and no reports of this.  Usually means you have fire in the auger tube. Since you have a short auger in the 700, an auger fire could work up into your hopper.  I have questions:
1. Do you keep the hopper lid closed during shutdown?
2. Do you keep the smoker lid closed during shutdown?
3. Do you have any idea at what temp. the fan goes off during shutdown?

In any event I would call Rec Tec service.  :2cents:

BC Buck

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »

I suspect the "shutdown" algorithm is not set right. I would call service at Rec Tec .  I'll bet they can correct it. I have two 590's in our family and no reports of this.  Usually means you have fire in the auger tube. Since you have a short auger in the 700, an auger fire could work up into your hopper.  I have questions:

I agree that dont sound correct. Worth a call.

grilltreats

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »

Thanks for your input, but there's never a fire in the auger tube.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Rec Tec.  No need to try and make it so.  It's a wonderful grill that works beautifully.  The little smoldering smoke one can see after a hot cook on occasion in minor and is caused by pellets being added to the still hot fire pot, as already explained.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

julweidn

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »

The hopper and smoker are closed during shutdown. Not sure what temp goes off during shutdown.

I called a couple weeks ago and they had no advice to offer other than lowering the feed rate and saying it would ultimately go out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up