Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences  (Read 12536 times)

julweidn

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »

I suspect the "shutdown" algorithm is not set right. I would call service at Rec Tec .  I'll bet they can correct it. I have two 590's in our family and no reports of this.  Usually means you have fire in the auger tube. Since you have a short auger in the 700, an auger fire could work up into your hopper.  I have questions:
1. Do you keep the hopper lid closed during shutdown?
2. Do you keep the smoker lid closed during shutdown?
3. Do you have any idea at what temp. the fan goes off during shutdown?

In any event I would call Rec Tec service.  :2cents:

Thanks for your input, but there's never a fire in the auger tube.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Rec Tec.  No need to try and make it so.  It's a wonderful grill that works beautifully.  The little smoldering smoke one can see after a hot cook on occasion in minor and is caused by pellets being added to the still hot fire pot, as already explained.

Is it a huge problem, no. Is it a problem, yes.

There shouldn’t be pellets still burning for an hour+ after I shutdown.  Which has happened many times. Would the pellets ultimately burn out? Probably. But i dont like going to bed with it smoking like that and i cant put the cover on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:23 PM »

Sorry for my confusion.  Wonder if Cust. Serv. could offer an adjustment to make the pellets stop dropping sooner in the shutdown cycle? I do know that those controllers are adjustable for many of their functions.  I have to admit that I have to let my Blaz'n GS alone for about an hour after shutdown for the smoldering to stop, but that has been a reasonable time.  I had some auger fires earlier but I sent my control back to them and they changed the shutdown algorithm and that seems to have worked. 
In any event, you have a great pit and hope you enjoy it for many years.

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »

Sorry for my confusion.  Wonder if Cust. Serv. could offer an adjustment to make the pellets stop dropping sooner in the shutdown cycle? I do know that those controllers are adjustable for many of their functions.  I have to admit that I have to let my Blaz'n GS alone for about an hour after shutdown for the smoldering to stop, but that has been a reasonable time.  I had some auger fires earlier but I sent my control back to them and they changed the shutdown algorithm and that seems to have worked. 
In any event, you have a great pit and hope you enjoy it for many years.

Rec Tec is not able to update via the wireless, unfortunately.  It would have to be done via a board swap.  I would like it more if they hadn't added the loading of pellets for the next cook on the last stage of the shutdown cycle.  The smoldering doesn't occur unless after a hot cook at say 350° or higher.  Also can occur on a windy day.  Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I unplug the power cord right after the fan shutdown and just before the auger runs, which is the last action of the shutdown cycle.  I haven't had any smoldering issues whatsoever since I have been doing that, regardless of any kind of high temp cooks.  It's a workaround, but would rather not have to do that.  I know they just wanted a faster startup is why they program it this way, but mine lights up quick enough without the pellets being loaded at the end.

I too was frustrated by the smoke coming from the smoke stack long after the shutdown when wanting to cover the grill and go relax.  That's when I started unplugging from the power before the pellets were loaded for the next cook.  It's great to understand your grill and know how it works.  Mine shuts down without issues and has been every since I started doing this nearly a year ago.

A alternative would be to lower the pit temp before shutting down.  The food will still cook while doing this.  I just prefer to unplug it and be done without the worry of smoldering.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:00:36 PM by grilltreats »
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

BC Buck

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »

My Memphis was at 650 when I powered off today. Took 45 min before fans went off and was still auguring pellets slowly for 20 min after turning power off. Next chance I get Im calling them to see if that is correct.

grilltreats

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 06:01:32 PM »

My Memphis was at 650 when I powered off today. Took 45 min before fans went off and was still auguring pellets slowly for 20 min after turning power off. Next chance I get Im calling them to see if that is correct.

WOW! that's a long shutdown period.  Not sure why it would still be feeding pellets during the shutdown cycle.  I know nothing about the Memphis other than it being top of the line.

The Rec Tec shutdown consist of the stopping the auger, running the fan for 300 seconds then loading some pellets in the fire pot for quick startup on the next cook.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »

At that temp, yeah I believe it.  It does not shut off till it reaches 150°, and with the way they hold temperature, I can see it happening!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BC Buck

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2019, 06:58:35 AM »

At that temp, yeah I believe it.  It does not shut off till it reaches 150°, and with the way they hold temperature, I can see it happening!
I was not sure why it slowly fed pellets for 20 minutes.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »

I have never ask the question, that I am not sure of.  Even though it is a drop system, it is still an augured one, so maybe just caution that none have caught fire at that high a heat.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:18:53 PM by Bentley »

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »

I have never ask the question, that I am not sure of.  Even though it is a drop system, it is still and augured one, so maybe just caution that none have caught fire at that high a heat.
The RecTec smokers are not a drop delivery.  Both have the auger poop directly into the fire pot just above the hot rod.
My Blaz'n does not poop pellets after the fan goes off. And when the pot is emptied after total cool down, that leaves it empty.  Then start up begins with both fan and auger, and there is plenty of time for the pellets to accumulate before the hot rod gets hot enough to start them. I see no reason for RecTec needing to mess its diaper before the next cook.  Wonder why they do that? I know that the new Smoke N Hot (which is a drop feeder) also starts empty at the beginning of its cook. (because you empty the fire pot after cool down, or before the next cook.  Maybe since RT does not require emptying the ash until about the 4th cook, they need the extra pellets to get a good fire in all the left overs ash?  Should be a simple call to them to find out what their new shutdown algorithm really does.  :2cents:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »

Maybe you know this, but my comments were regarding my Memphis Pro.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »

I am not concerned about an empty fire pot after a cook as I usually vacuum out the ash at some point and whatever pellets may be in it so I prefer there to be no pellets in the firepot at startup.  I would be concerned about the auger shaft being empty of pellets.  I found that out this weekend that I forgot the last time I used my MAK I ran it dry of pellets.  When I started it up with a full hopper, it took what seemed like forever to get to set temp which is unusual with the ceramic igniter.  Then, I remembered that the auger shaft was empty of pellets.  I should have thrown some in the fire pot before startup had I remembered it was bone dry.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up