Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 02 Jun 2018
  • A couple of weeks back, a friend invited me to a BBQ. In this case, BBQ is meant in the UK fashion of grilled burgers and sausages; my friend probably does this one or twice a year. But it would be a chance to catch up on some friends, and would be fun.

A few days later: "We've looked at our (gas) grill, and it is in a state. Any chance you can bring your pellet grill over?"

I automatically said yes, but soon started thinking of alternatives. My smaller pellet grill is a GMG DC, so "portable", but I have back issues which means I invariably end up taking it apart, emptying the pellets, and carrying it in 2-3 trips. I have done this often for holidays; but it seemed a lot of trouble to go to for an afternoon.

I also have a kamado, which hasn't been fired up in a couple of years. The pellet grills are just too convenient! However, it is clean, as I've just gone through my spring grease-busting routine. So I asked my friend if he would like to borrow it for the summer, and - specifically - for this BBQ, with an option to buy it if he wanted to at the end of the season. But he and his son would have to come and collect it, as there was no way I was lifting the beast into my car.

He happily accepted, but then added "but are you still bringing your pellet grill for smoking stuff?"

I explained that "smoking stuff" is probably going to take hours, and would mean me arriving on his doorstep at 5am, to have something ready for the afternoon.

"How about if I smoke you some pulled pork the day before, and then you can just reheat that in your oven, while doing burgers and sausages on the kamado?"

Which is why there are now 3 shoulders on the DC - two for him and one for me - and I know my back is safe for the weekend!  :D
  • #2 by Chris__M on 02 Jun 2018
  • I say the kamado is clean, but I noticed some green stuff in the gasket that my clean had missed. However, it proved not to be mould, but moss.

Yes. It has been a while ...
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Jun 2018
  • Ah yes, pellet cooking strikes again and converts folks to the darkside!!!
  • #4 by cookingjnj on 02 Jun 2018
  • You da man Chris.  Now I always love a good burger, but pretty sure your PP will go beyond the good burger for all.
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 02 Jun 2018
  • I offered to give my Green egg to a guy I knew that wanted to get into smoking last year. He seemed very excited , and then never picked it up. Hopefully your friends enjoy the kamado. They are pretty simple and versatile. Much better than a gasser.
  • #6 by Chris__M on 03 Jun 2018
  • Oh, he was pretty enthusiastic about the idea of the kamado. I think he almost immediately went on YouTube to find out how to use one - but he has had experience  of charcoal kettles, so he will be fine.

I absolute hate decent kit sitting around not being used, so I am really pleased that someone is going to get good use out of it too.
  • #7 by Chris__M on 03 Jun 2018
  • The other thing was that during the winter, my DC took a tumble off the table it lives on, due to extreme winds - I'd never have thought it possible. It landed on the front handle, which depressed the centre of the lid, resulting in the two corners being raised about half and inch.

I considered getting the lid replaced, but it never happened.

This was my first long cook since, and I was pleased to find that apart from leaking smoke from the front, it didn't seem to overly affect anything - it was still keeping temperatures, and I wasn't aware of any increase in pellet use.
Pages:
Actions