Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by SparkyLB on 11 Jul 2018
  • Great, and varied replies on this one.

I expect my Pitts and Spitts to arrive "mid July" as Ryan said--but I'll start out with straight oak, cherry, or pecan for a benchmark. 

I know NOTHING except what I've heard about a wood's ability to impart flavor--but if the general consensus is correct (pellet smokers don't impart quite the strength that, say, a stick-burner would) if that's true, I will add straight hickory or mesquite to that 30 lb. hopper, and mix it real well.  I'll start small, and add as necessary until I feel like my product has been "smoked." 

Pecan, when used on my Visions grill is delicious on ANY meat I've tried it one. 

I'll keep you and the whole Pellet Fan community aware of what happens. 

I just have to receive this xxxx thing first!!!    :) 
  • #17 by Bentley on 11 Jul 2018
  • Not sure if you know, but Hickory and Pecan are almost the same wood!

by Eric Meier The Carya genus (or what is more commonly referred to as Hickory) is divided into two main groupings: true-hickory, and pecan-hickory. Species in the true-hickory group tend to be slightly denser, and therefore a bit harder and stronger than the species in the pecan-hickory group.
  • #18 by grilltreats on 12 Jul 2018
  • I don't have any experience with pecan pellets just yet.  I do have experience with pecan logs and chunks on a charcoal grill, having connections in FL.  I love and prefer to cook chicken with pecan wood.  I typically will use other wood types for other types of meats, but I'm sure pecan would go well with some of those too.
Pages:
Actions