Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flavor of Pellets for Most Smoke Taste?  (Read 3951 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Flavor of Pellets for Most Smoke Taste?
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »

Now that I have a Lumberjack dealer close by what pellets would give me the most smoke taste?
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

leppolite

• Using less gas.
Re: Flavor of Pellets for Most Smoke Taste?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »

I think you will find that Hickory is the pellet of choice for max smoky flavor. Seems to be the one I hear people mention most anyhow.
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »

Mesquite

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »

I like the Lumberjack 100% Hickory, but cannot usually find a buy. Bear Mtn. Hickory mixed with Bear Mtn. Mesquite gets the job done for me most of the time.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »

Mesquite and hickory are the strongest that I know about.  Mesquite can be very strong to down right over powering, so experiments are helpful.

ScottWood

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »

I've become a big fan of mixing 2 bags of Lumberjack 100% hickory with 1 bag of the Lumberjack Char blend pellets.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:35:55 AM »

I have been using mainly Lumberjack Hickory as my go to pellet.  In the past I used Mesquite in my smoke tube, but it was not the LJ brand.

Are there still issues with the Char-blend pellets?  I read reports of them jamming up the augers.

ScottWood

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »

I have been using mainly Lumberjack Hickory as my go to pellet.  In the past I used Mesquite in my smoke tube, but it was not the LJ brand.

Are there still issues with the Char-blend pellets?  I read reports of them jamming up the augers.

I've been using them regularly for about a year now with no trouble at all.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

Jimsbarbecue

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »

Years ago a Kristin’s house we did pellet testing to see if anyone could tell the difference. If my memory doesn’t fail me , only the strong woods like mesquite and pure hickory the judges  could tell from the other flavors.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:04 AM »

Jim,

I found the testing, but can't seem to download the result charts.  Did you do those and do you still have them?  I see we did not test mesquite.

WOOD SMOKE TESTING 101 -- 2010 Session

These are the results of our wood smoke testing. The tester was Kristin Meredith. Date of testing August 2010.  The cooks were Bentley, Jimsbarbeque and Stone Dude, all Pelletheads.

I.  THE PROCEDURE

We tested four (4) different pellets: Black Walnut by BBQr’s Delight; The Other Outdoor Store’s 100% Cherry; Bear Mountain Maple; and Cookingpellets.com 100% Hickory.  We also used one gas grill for control  purposes.  The taste testing was a blind system with the testers not knowing which of the five samples they tested was cooked on what wood.  They were told that all samples had been cooked on wood pellets to see if they could distinguish between the smoked samples and the gas grilled sample.

We had nine (9) judges.  Five (5) were KCBS Certified Barbeque Judges (CBJ) and competition cooks.  Six (6) were pelletheads. Two were “civilians.”

We tested four sample products: Fish (dover sole); hamburger patties; chicken (breasts, boneless and skinless); and ribs (St. Louis style).  The meats were not marinaded or brined.  No rubs or sauces were used.  Simple seasoning of salt and pepper was added.

The pits used were: the Louisiana Whole Hog by Danson,;  the Memphis Pro by Hearthland; the Two Star General by MAK; the Traeger Jr. by Traeger; and a gas grill.  The longest cook was the ribs at about 6 hours.  We tried to give the samples as much “smoke time” as possible without overcooking them.

The samples were each placed in a styrofoam container with a number.  The judges were asked to take a piece of the sample.  They were to then asked to taste the sample and answer the questions set forth below.  This procedure was repeated five times for each of the four samples.

II.  THE QUESTIONNAIRE

1. Do you taste smoke in this sample?
         Yes_____ No______

2. If so, can you identify what flavor wood the smoke is from? (list the flavor you taste)

3. Is the smoke  taste:
       Pleasant ___
       Unpleasant ____
       No opinion ____

4. Is the smoke  taste:
      Mild ___
      Medium ___
      Strong ___
      No flavor ___

5.  Rank the sample (1 highest  to 5 lowest

III.  SELECTED COMMENTS

The following are a few comments and observations based on the results, which are set forth in Section IV below:

Fish  – the least favorite wood flavor on the fish was hickory; the most favorite wood flavor was maple. Maple also was ranked as the strongest smoke flavor and cherry the mildest.  The gas grill was also one of the least liked, but surprisingly 7 out of  9 of the testers said they tasted smoke in the sample. No one was able to correctly identify any of the woods cooked on.

Hamburger – again, the maple pellets fared well in this category.  Once again, the testers tasted smoke in the gas grill burger, but that is not surprising since he gas grill did impart a nice char on the burgers.  Cherry was again the mildest  with Hickory being ranked one of the stronger in smoke. Maple was selected as the most favorite on the burger and Hickory the least favorite. Two testers correctly identified Cherry and one correctly identified Hickory.

Chicken – all four pellets did well in imparting a smoke flavor to the chicken with all 9 testers saying they tasted smoke with the Black Walnut.  Black Walnut was also the flavor select as the most favorite, and Cherry was liked the least on chicken. Both Black Walnut and Hickory had a high percent of medium smoke flavor responses. One person correctly identified Black Walnut, one correctly identified Cherry and two correctly identified Hickory.

Ribs – again, all four woods did a good job of importing smoke flavor, although Maple was viewed as the most pleasant with 9 votes.  In the ribs, the difference between the wood pellets and the gas grill was very pronounced with the gas grill consistently being ranked as no flavor. Eight of the 9 testers rated the gas grilled ribs as last. Maple and Cherry were the best liked on the ribs.  Two testers correctly identified Hickory.

General comments – although all the wood pellets did a good job of imparting smoke to a variety of meats, there did seem to be a correlation between certain meats/fish and certain pellets with some types of wood obviously paring better with some meats than others. 

III.  THE  RESULTS

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »

Very good information.  Thanks Kristin!

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »

Hmmm, I may have to get some Maple for my ribs and pork butt.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »

Hmmm, I may have to get some Maple for my ribs and pork butt.

cookinpellets is supposed to be coming out with a 100% maple soon
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 11:22:44 AM »

I can't get CookinPellets without paying a lot for them from Amazon.  I have a Lumberjack dealer about 30 minutes away, but I don't know if he has 100% Maple.  He does have 100% Cherry and a combination of Cherry, Hickory and Maple.

We like our ribs and pork butts sweet.

Edit:  My LJ dealer has 100% maple and 100% cherry.  Which would be best?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:29:38 AM by reubenray »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 11:50:23 AM »

I can't get CookinPellets without paying a lot for them from Amazon.  I have a Lumberjack dealer about 30 minutes away, but I don't know if he has 100% Maple.  He does have 100% Cherry and a combination of Cherry, Hickory and Maple.

We like our ribs and pork butts sweet.

Edit:  My LJ dealer has 100% maple and 100% cherry.  Which would be best?
I sent you a PM.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up