Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pz on 01 Sep 2017
  • I never thought French onion soup would be anything I would enjoy, so I was in my 60's before I actually tried it - was delicious!

For this soup used a modified recipe that I found on the 'net (can't exactly recall where but it is a typical recipe)
       â€¢ 1 ½ lb(s) onions, very thinly sliced
       â€¢ 2 Tbsp butter
       â€¢ 1 Tbsp brandy
       â€¢ ½ cup red wine
       â€¢ 3 cup beef stock
       â€¢ Salt and pepper
       â€¢ 2 slices of bread toasted with gruyère for garnish

Click the pics to toggle full/normal size

The finished sandwich - crispy on the outside,
    and melty on the inside
       Because it is Friday, a Martini is in order,
    with olives, home made pickled garlic, and
    home grown basil

• #2 by Free Mr. Tony on 01 Sep 2017
  • One of the winter faves at our house. Been eating at all my life though. Throw some thyme in there. It's delicious.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2017
  • One of the winter faves at our house. Been eating at all my life though. Throw some thyme in there. It's delicious.

+1

I also like a thicker stock too.
  • #4 by Bentley on 02 Sep 2017
  • Nice finish with the bread and cheese...I think for some of the place that do "traditional" for lack of a better word.  Is it not in a little earthen ware pot with like a baked bread and cheese top on it?
  • #5 by pz on 04 Sep 2017
  • Nice finish with the bread and cheese...I think for some of the place that do "traditional" for lack of a better word.  Is it not in a little earthen ware pot with like a baked bread and cheese top on it?

Thanks!
    I believe you're correct  - I've seen the method you in photos and recipes in which you bake the soup within the bowls as part of the preparation. I went the easy road and just served the soup in regular old bowls (I don't have oven safe bowls) - not too authentic, but sure tasted good.  :)

One of the winter faves at our house. Been eating at all my life though. Throw some thyme in there. It's delicious.

That is an excellent idea - I feel kind of stupid not thinking of thyme because I use it all the time (no pun intended) and we have a large overflowing patch in the herb garden!
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 04 Sep 2017

Thanks!
    I believe you're correct  - I've seen the method you in photos and recipes in which you bake the soup within the bowls as part of the preparation. I went the easy road and just served the soup in regular old bowls (I don't have oven safe bowls) - not too authentic, but sure tasted good.  :)

One of the winter faves at our house. Been eating at all my life though. Throw some thyme in there. It's delicious.

That is an excellent idea - I feel kind of stupid not thinking of thyme because I use it all the time (no pun intended) and we have a large overflowing patch in the herb garden!

I'm whatever the opposite of a green thumb is, but I do manage to keep a pretty substantial herb garden every summer. Thyme is one of the heartier herbs. No trouble keeping that around without much effort. I love winter, but fresh herbs from the back yard is one thing I miss during those months.
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Sep 2017
  • Do you ever ice cube your fresh herbs?
  • #8 by GREG-B on 04 Sep 2017
  • Do you ever ice cube your fresh herbs?

?????  Scuse my ignorance.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Sep 2017
  • You need one of the cheap plastic ice cube makers.  Take your fresh herbs and chop/prepare about a Tbs.  Put in one of the ice cube holes.  Repeat.  Fill with water and freeze.  Pop the ice cubes out when frozen and put in a freezer bag with the appropriate herb name for the cubes within.  When you need some herbs, take out a cube and let it thaw on a napkin or paper towel -- voila, kind of fresh herbs.
  • #10 by Quadman750 on 04 Sep 2017
  • Well you learn something new every day, thank you for the tip.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Sep 2017
  • You need one of the cheap plastic ice cube makers.  Take your fresh herbs and chop/prepare about a Tbs.  Put in one of the ice cube holes.  Repeat.  Fill with water and freeze.  Pop the ice cubes out when frozen and put in a freezer bag with the appropriate herb name for the cubes with.  When you need some herbs, take out a cube and let it thaw on a napkin or paper towel -- voila, kind of fresh herbs.

Brilliant
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Sep 2017
  • Sometimes you learn useful things from your fellow Master Gardeners!
  • #13 by pz on 04 Sep 2017
  • That is an excellent tip!  :clap:

I've been inundated with a bumper crop of heirloom tomatoes, and was wondering what to do with them. I just finished dicing and vacuum sealing them into portion sizes I cook with.  We'll see how that goes
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 04 Sep 2017
  • Had never heard of that, so thanks. I'll give it a try with the rest of my herbs before it gets too cold.
Pages:
Actions