Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by LowSlowJoe on 06 Jun 2018
  • I don't suppose anyone noticed that Kingsford has gotten into the wood pellet business...

Do a search on Kingsford 100% Hickory premium wood pellets and you shall see for yourself.

Does this now mean pellet grills have hit the big time?
  • #2 by dk117 on 06 Jun 2018
  • spendy entry to the market, I'll pass. 

$ 21.99 + $18.64 shipping for 20lbs

2X more wood flavor than the leading brand.   

Uh huh ...

DK
    • dk117
  • #3 by triplebq on 06 Jun 2018
  • Glad to see Kingsford getting into the pellet market.

Based on the info on Amazon they are manufactured by Trae-Fuels LLC. Trae Fuels website says there are 12 out of 140 pellet manufactures who have ENPlus Certification. They are 1 of the 12. They also explain their process.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 06 Jun 2018
  • Will be nice to try them out.  100% hickory! Will see if they are competitive.
     :bbq:I was informed that Henry Ford started making charcoal from the scrap wood that was accumulating from his Ford assembly plant (hated to see anything go to waste), and that Ford Charcoal company was renamed Kingsford in honor of his partner in the venture.  Wonder if Ford still owns any interest in Kingsford?
  • #5 by bregent on 06 Jun 2018

Uh huh ...

DK

Well the leading brand is Traeger so that's not saying much.
  • #6 by Th3Batman86 on 06 Jun 2018
  • Wonder if Ford still owns any interest in Kingsford?

Sold to Clorox in the 70's
  • #7 by pmillen on 06 Jun 2018
  • Available from Cabela's.

A 2011 suggestion submitted to Clorox.
  • #8 by Bobitis on 06 Jun 2018

Uh huh ...

DK

Well... If it's twice as good, it should be worth twice the price. Maybe they found some magical hickory trees in the unicorn forest...   ::)
  • #9 by Bentley on 06 Jun 2018
  • I remember making the comment on Pelletheads 10 years ago that when this happened, you would know that pellets are ingrained enough for large companies to start making money off them!

I don't suppose anyone noticed that Kingsford has gotten into the wood pellet business...

Does this now mean pellet grills have hit the big time?
  • #10 by silverbullet on 06 Jun 2018
  • Lumberjack prices in my neighborhood can't be beat.
  • #11 by GatorDave on 07 Jun 2018
  • I can't find them on Kingsford's website.  I think they are trying to hide them.
  • #12 by demilleroh on 09 Jul 2018
  • I read Trae's manufacturing process on their web site.  It actually looks promising:

1.  They use  logs, not residual sawdust from a sawmill / hardwood flooring operation.

2.  They debark their logs to reduce ash.

3.  They do appear to be a fairly high-volume operation - and looks like they probably produce heating pellets as well.

My local Lowes has Kingsford in stock now for $12.99 $11.98.  Cheaper than Academy's B&B for $15.99 and Cabela's ( made by Lumberjack I believe; although unclear they are identical to Lumberjack ).  So it looks to me like they will be worth a try.  I'm not ready for full/half pallet quantities yet.  So $12.99 $11.98 is a pretty good price if they are good.
  • #13 by triplebq on 09 Jul 2018
  • I say give them a try and let us know how you like them. Great price.
  • #14 by Ross77 on 10 Jul 2018
  • Is it $12.99 for 40lbs or 20lbs?  And are they truly 100% hickory?
  • #15 by demilleroh on 10 Jul 2018
  • $11.98 for 20# 10# ( Not $12.99 ; On Lowes web site; select stores only; ie, not all stores ).  Yes, they are labeled 100% hickory. 
Pages:
Actions