Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 04 Sep 2017
  • I was afraid that 100% Lamb might be to much for me, so I was Lamb/Beef guy.  Also, pretty sure (now I am guessing, I am not Greek) that it usually like the Al Pastor, not ground but thin steaks cooked on rotating vertical spit.  But here is mine for those that are ground Meat lovers like me!

I wanted a couple of 2-3lb "Fatties" that would be easy to carve.  So...

Gyro Loaf:
    3lbs/Boneless Leg of Lamb (Fine Grind)
    3lbs/70/30% Ground Beef
    1 Larger Spanish (White) Onion.  Run through Food Processor till very fine, almost like a Slurpee.
    1/4 cup Ground Rosemary
    1/4 cup ground Marjorum
    2 Tsb Salt
    1 Tsb Pepper
    As many pieces of Pita bread as you think you will need.

Tzatziki Sauce (This IS NOT traditional, I like it this way)
    16oz. Plain Yogart
    2 Cucumbers, peeled, seeded and finely chopped.
    2 Tsb. EVOO (Olive Oil)
    3 Tbs. Minced Garlic
    1/4 Cup Fresh Mint, finely chopped.
    S n P to taste.

Mix ground meat and spices very well.  Kitchenaid type blender with paddle works well, add a few ice cubes as you do it.  Form into any type shape you like.  I wanted lots of exterior surface meat for the 1st Gyros, so mine was long and thin like a Fattie.

I like my ground meat cooked at about 300°f.  Hot enough for crust, not quite enough to burn.  I am an Internal Temperature cook anymore.  I want my finished product right around 155-160° internal temperature.  So I pull it off when my temperature gauges shows 150°.  It will rest and carry over to my desired temperature (or very close).  Figure about 90 minutes if you are in the 3lb. range...If you don't have an alarm, check at 60!

Carve and serve with condiments you like!

• #2 by pmillen on 04 Sep 2017
  • Creative.  A lot of work, tho'.

Do Beef Wellington if you're going to take that much time.
  • #3 by Bentley on 04 Sep 2017
  • It aint that much believe it or not.  Grinding the lamb was probably the longest part, maybe making the sauce.
  • #4 by Quadman750 on 04 Sep 2017
  • I like the lamb & beef together, have you ever tried shishliki.
  • #5 by Bentley on 04 Sep 2017
  • Unless I am pronouncing it wrong in my head, never even heard of it.
  • #6 by riverrat49 on 04 Sep 2017
  • Love the Gyro's  :clap:
  • #7 by GREG-B on 04 Sep 2017
  • Me too.   Lotta work for one so I get one ocassionally in Vancouver on 164th and 1st.   They're decent but Bentley's are probably better.
  • #8 by Quadman750 on 04 Sep 2017
  • Unless I am pronouncing it wrong in my head, never even heard of it.

SHISH-LA-KEY

It is lamb marinated for days in salt, pepper & onions.
  • #9 by uhcoogsfan on 06 Oct 2017
  • This looks great!  I love Gyros so I am going to have to give this one a try!
  • #10 by bregent on 06 Oct 2017
  • That does look great. But I'm a cheater - I buy the 12lb cases of Kronos Gyro meat from Cash and Carry.
  • #11 by smokinbandit101 on 12 Oct 2017
  • This looks amazing. I will be defiantly trying this soon. Did you use some form of netting to help hold its shape the one picture looks like a thousand small squares.
  • #12 by bregent on 12 Oct 2017
  • This looks amazing. I will be defiantly trying this soon. Did you use some form of netting to help hold its shape the one picture looks like a thousand small squares.

No need to be defiant, just go ahead and make some  :P
  • #13 by smokinbandit101 on 12 Oct 2017

• [/quote]

No need to be defiant, just go ahead and make some  :P
    [/quote]

Definitely**  Long day. Brain not work right.
  • #14 by Bentley on 12 Oct 2017
  • With my 4th grade spelling ability...looked right to me!
  • #15 by smokinbandit101 on 12 Oct 2017
  • With my 4th grade spelling ability...looked right to me!

:cool:  :clap:  Anyway, Bentley did you use any thing to wrap them to help keep their form or was the ice there for binding. 
Pages:
Actions