Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 17 Oct 2017
  • Recent Fall scene on a lake in northern MN

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by ZCZ on 17 Oct 2017
  • Say what?  Bacon wrapped dates?  With a maple syrup/balsamic vinegar glaze I might add. As most Pellet Fan participants know bacon-wrapped-anything is usually pretty good. Had not made these in quite a while and they make an excellent appetizer.

Start with the large Medjool dates (got these at Costco). Cut off the tip of the stem end the cut open.   Remove the pit and replace with an almond (or sour cream, or ?)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Cut bacon strips in half and wrap around the date & hold in place with a toothpick

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by ZCZ on 17 Oct 2017
  • Combine equal portions of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar (I used 3/4 cup of both but 1/2 cup of each would have sufficed).  Place in a small saucepan and bring to a boil then let simmer, stirring as you go.

Simmering

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Simmer for roughly 20 minutes until it looks like this.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

About half way thru this process pre-heat the grill to 425°.
  • #4 by ZCZ on 17 Oct 2017
  • Grill bacon wrapped dates at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until bacon is crispy, turning them over at the half way point. Here we are ready to come off the grill

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Remove dates and paint each one thoroughly with the glaze using a brush (or dip if deep enough).  If your glaze is too thick you can gently reheat for a more favorable viscosity. Put dates back on the grill to set the glaze, just a minute or two/three.

Final result

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There were 18 total. Three each for each guest.  They were gone in a flash. You won’t go wrong with these.
    Thanks for watching!
    Z
  • #5 by DaisyCutter on 17 Oct 2017
  • My wife made something similar, minus the maple/balsamic. She stuffed them with blue cheese. They were great. We'll have to try this one out!
  • #6 by Bentley on 17 Oct 2017
  • Deviled Ham & Pepper Jack Cheese!  Devils on Horseback!

Remove the pit and replace with an almond (or sour cream, or ?)

• #7 by cookingjnj on 17 Oct 2017
  • Hey Z ... first off, the pictures from the lake are awesome.  If the pic is from this year, you guys are not much ahead of us out on the east coast with fall, but we are catching up....for some that is good... others????  You and Bentley have now added to the increasing list of morsels to try and replicate on my cooker.  Love the creative ideas with the dates!  Thanks fellas.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Oct 2017
  • Great dish Al, thanks for sharing!
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 18 Oct 2017
  • Looks great. Always wanted to try those, but never have. Love dates.
  • #10 by TLK on 18 Oct 2017
  • agreed- those look really good!  Thanks for sharing!
  • #11 by pmillen on 18 Oct 2017
  • That looks amazing, ZCZ.  It hit my sweet spot.

BTW–

The walleyes would wait for the Fall frog migration and gorge on them when Lake Lizzie looked like that.  I could fill the boat by fishing frogs or frog-like lures near the surface in less than 10' of water.  Quieter was better.
  • #12 by dk117 on 18 Oct 2017
  • great thread.   I usually bring bacon wrapped dates to holiday parties where I'm not the host.  I purchase pitted dates.   Wrap in half a length of thick cut bacon.  That's it.  I take a little time cooking them, probably two hours.    No filling no rub no glaze.  The rendering of the bacon and the dates themselves are enough for me.

I'll get a picture next batch.

DK
    • dk117
Pages:
Actions