Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by daverp on 08 Jun 2018
  • New here, new to pellet grills.  So forgive me if these are basic questions.

The wife surprised me with a Traeger Bronson for my bday (the one that is supposedly "no open flame, and HOA approved").  Her son has one, and uses it at his apartment with success.  But he doesn't have our pain in the azz neighbors who complain about every little thing....

She checked with the apartment manager before she bought, explained the grill to her as an "electric pellet smoker grill" and asked if she could buy it for me, as she didn't want to spend $500 on anything we couldn't use.  The manager said we could, and that "management company policy is we are not allowing them in our communities where we have common area grills, but we don't have those here, so we allow them.  You are good".   

To add, we are in a fully sprinklered (to include patios) building, concrete and stucco construction (non-combustible construction), and gas grills, charcoal grills are permitted by law, and also not excluded in the lease.   I don't know of a neighbor that has charcoal, but they seem to be permitted if someone chose to have one.

So, she bought it.  I fired it up yesterday for the first time.  Did the initial burn in, and then made dinner on it.  After initial start up (lots of smoke!) it seemed fine, but there was still quite the quantity of smoke (of course).  Was cooking at 350 to 400, so anticipated (from what I'd read) it would not smoke as much or "hardly at all" from what I'd read.  Most of the time the level of smoke was no issue, but every 5 to 10 minutes, just bellowing smoke as the pellets were fed in and ignited.  I think that might be an issue.

Will adjusting the P level down to P1 or P0 give a more conistent feed with fewer instances of huge clouds of billowing smoke as the grill tries to make up temperature?  We sure don't intend to "smoke" on it...especially not yet, until we see how neighbors react.  Or should I try a higher P setting?

Might seem dumb to even ask (why did you get one if you were worried about it), but the W did it on her own as she knew I've had a Traeger on my wish list, but was worried about neighbor complaints.  And now I'd hate to have to box it back up.  She went off the fact the manager approved, and that her son has one and he said it doesn't put out too much smoke.  Personally after using it the first time, I think we might be a little sketchy based on how big of a pain in the xxx one neighbor in particular can be about anything.  Chronic complainer type.  I know the smell of bbq should be fine, but the huge, occoassional clouds of smoke (and strong wood burning odor) has me concerned, and I'd like to lessen that if possible and keep it more low key and consistent so as to not draw too much attention (or give an excuse to complain).  Seems we have a fairly strong manager now, but previous manager managed by the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" style, and would tell various other tenants they could not do certain things, even which were permitted under the lease, by throwing out the catch all "disturbing the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of others" clause in the lease (like smoking on a personal balcony, even though smoking is permitted in all areas other than common areas, and in no way prohibited in the lease).  And some of the other long term tenants seem to still think if they complain long enough and loud enough, they'll get what they want.

Any advice on how to keep the smoke more consistent, steady, and lower key?  Or are we just going to possibly be out of luck and wind up boxing this thing up until we move in a couple years?
  • #2 by glitchy on 08 Jun 2018
  • If you’re going to be cooking at temp settings (not smoke on the controller) and mostly 300 degrees plus, my experience was that P-0 was the right setting for holding temps. Since it’s a wood fire, you will have smoke, but it should be a pretty light thin blue smoke at those settings. Start up will always be smoky. You might also try a couple different brands and species of pellets. It might be worth trying oak pellets and also some brands that offer 100 percent single species pellets. Maybe even cookin pellets since they use no bark. I don’t know which option would produce the least smoke, so just giving you things you can try.
  • #3 by ylr on 08 Jun 2018
  • I could understand if a neighbor has COPD or is on oxygen, or has allergies, but if they are just being a jerk for the sake of "ruling the roost", I would tell them to go pound sand!  :2cents:

If they are just being ignorant, you can always bribe them with some BBQ. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that unless you're negatively impacting someone's health, you should fight to keep and use your Traeger!
  • #4 by daverp on 08 Jun 2018
  • I could understand if a neighbor has COPD or is on oxygen, or has allergies, but if they are just being a jerk for the sake of "ruling the roost", I would tell them to go pound sand!  :2cents:

If they are just being ignorant, you can always bribe them with some BBQ. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that unless you're negatively impacting someone's health, you should fight to keep and use your Traeger!

They have habitually just been jerks.  They want the "million dollar view" (which we have) and experience without the million dollar  plus price tag of their own (non-community property) place.  And have zero tolerance for living in an apartment community and the occasional minor inconveniences or annoyances which come with that. 

We got an apartment on the water with a huge side patio.  When moving in, we thought a gas fire table would be great out there.  Before signing on the dotted line, we asked if we could have it.  They said "it's propane, so sure".  We bought one, had it a week, and got a notice on our door that a neighbor complained it was "throwing out sparks" (not possible, it's liquid propane....and has NEVER thrown out a single spark), was a fire hazzard, and we had 2 days to get rid of it or be evicted.   It took days of conversation with management and the local fire captain who I called, and we were allowed to keep it, but management said "keep it on low, don't use it much, and we will see how it goes".  The local fire captain laughed when I called him about it, and said "if we get called out, we will respond, and then walk away.  You are fine."  That was 2 years ago, so we appear to be fine there.  Silly.  Had to run a "spark arresting screen" on a gas fire table for a while until things quieted down.

When we first got here, we still smoked (since quit).  They complained.  We (and we later found out other tenants) were threated with eviction.  As I said, previous weak manager bowing to pressure.  I mean, I get that...smoking stinks.  But why move into a community which permits it, and then expect others to bend to your wishes?  Plenty of non-smoking buildings around if you are that incredibly sensitive to it.  Properties where one can smoke here are getting pretty rare.

We've gotten complaints when we were on vacation, and for months when we used to exit the building and walk to the side parking lot to have a smoke.  Went on for weeks and months on end without us smoking at all inside or outside the unit.  One day I was sick, stayed home, and had my first smoke of the day on the patio at 7:30 pm.  Security was there by 7:45.  Hadn't had a smoke on the balcony for months.

We aren't the only ones.  A couple neighbors smoke (one or two a night type smokers).  We no longer do.  They asked us if we complained.  We naturally did not.  We all figured out finally who was making the calls.

Complaints of music at 6 or 7pm on a weekend.  We are in our 50's.  Playing it down low.  Last couple times, even security was invited in when they came, rolled their eyes, and left, saying, you can do what you want until 10pm quiet hours, you don't have to change a thing, but we had to respond to the complaint.

We know who the neighbor is.  Even went and talked to them several times.  Gave them both our cell phones and said "hey, if we are bothering you in any way, call us and let us know" (did this right before a birthday party).  They never did, and the husband later admitted to calling security even though they had our number.

We've tried to be accomodating and neighborly, but there is no amount of concessions which will appease the witch upstairs.  And I'm done trying.

Christmas party at the place at 5pm on a thursday....security called.

In particular the woman is just a scowling, angry at life piece of xxxx.  If she ever smiled, her face would break.

Sorry for rant, but that's what we are dealing with.  I believe present management will "back us", but sure don't want to be confronted with photos or videos of large clouds of intermittent smoke I experienced using it the first time.  If I can't correct that, then we will probably just likely shut it down ourselves.  If there is a way to reduce that, I think we will be fine, we will stand our ground, and the witch upstairs can just pound sand.

• #5 by dk117 on 08 Jun 2018
  • I must say, my wife and I have thought about downsizing to a fancy condo on the waterfront so we can travel with no concerns.   But I don't think I could give up my pit aka my smoker.   i'm afraid that is a deal killer.

Good luck with your neighbor.

DK
    • dk117
  • #6 by slaga on 08 Jun 2018
  • The only way I know to minimize the smoke at start up is to light it manually with a propane torch. You have to leave the grill off and get the pellets hot enough to keep a fire going when you flip it on. It usually takes about 30 to 45 seconds with the torch to make that happen. If you are using the igniter in the grill to start it, you will have to live with that smoke at start up. I don't want to be a downer but if it smokes too much at 300 and 400 degrees, it will only get worse as you cook at lower temperatures. These things are more of a smoker than a grill and that is what they are designed to do. At any temperature setting, when the temperature drops below your set temperature, the auger dumps (extra) fuel to bring the temperature back up. It smokes more as the pellets begin to heat up before they ignite. Once they ignite they smoke less. It is the nature of the beast. You will always have that cyclical more smoke, less smoke thing happening. Lastly I have seen quite a few sparks come out of the spout at the bucket of my Traeger over the years so if the "sparks" from the gas fire table was too much for your neighbor, the occasional real spark from the Traeger may be a concern. I just used a grill mat under my grill for years and never worried about it.
  • #7 by daverp on 08 Jun 2018
  • Thanks for the torch tip.  I'd read something about that somewhere, and will give it a try.  Hopefully that and a more steady, consistent feed will keep the majority of it down.

As much as we'd love to, I doubt we will be smoking anything on it.  At least not anytime soon.  I think I can get away with an hour or two on it, but an all day smoke would likely be out.  But from my first attempt on it (beer can burgers stuffed with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and smoked sausage, and bacon wrapped crab, cream cheese and scallion stuffed jalepeno poppers), I think I will really enjoy the even, slow cooking without having to fuss.  Meal was delicious and came out about perfect for a first attempt.  Did that at 350, and bumped up to 400 towards the end.  Minimal (almost non-existent) smoke, except when temp would dip low and it had to come back up.  Hopefully the torch start up tip, and tighter temp control via the P-setting will work. 

Also am thinking of throwing on some garlic and onions on start up to get the "food cooking smells" going quickly to help cover the straight up "wood burning smell".  I know had I not known what was going on, the straight up wood burning odor would have likely concerned me and had me looking for a source wondering if it was time to get outta Dodge.  Get some garlic and onions on there as "cover scent", and that may help.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Jun 2018
  • Start reporting and making an official complaint with management against the neighbor for harassment, interference with your right of quiet use and enjoyment of your property, and intentional infliction of emotional distress every time she reports you.  Maybe if she starts getting visits she will rethink her position on things.
  • #9 by hughver on 08 Jun 2018
  • Start reporting and making an official complaint with management against the neighbor for harassment, interference with your right of quiet use and enjoyment of your property, and intentional infliction of emotional distress every time she reports you.  Maybe if she starts getting visits she will rethink her position on things.

Great advice.
  • #10 by slaga on 08 Jun 2018
    ;)
  • #11 by ylr on 08 Jun 2018

And document everything, including having management's approval of the pellet grill in writing. Sometimes bullies need to be smashed in the mouth(legally speaking, of course). I feel your pain; my evil wicked stepmother lived next door to us for four years, and she(and my father!) harassed us for almost four years before(thankfully, sorta. They were replaced with meth heads and thieves, but that's another story) they were foreclosed on, and had to move.

Good luck to you both; by sticking to your guns, and holding on to your core values through this, you'll feel vindicated when it's all over.  :cool:
  • #12 by Bentley on 08 Jun 2018
  • They always need to be, problem is they usually do it when no one is around to help.  Actually I remember back to 8th grade once...

Sometimes bullies need to be smashed in the mouth...
  • #13 by daverp on 12 Jun 2018
  • Thanks for the advice.

Fired it up again yesterday afternoon, doing a test run while not a lot of people around.  Put the P-setting at P-0, and did the initial fire up of some pellets via torch.  Some smoke on start up, but not as bad.  Temps climbed quickly and it settled in.  For about 45 minutes of use, it would put out a bit of smoke every 8 to 15 minutes or so.  Considerably better, and sure did not seem like something that would draw undue attention, or appeared to be a big nuisance.  The smoke during other times is what I'd call "trace" smoke.  None to very little. 

Upstairs neighbor (the husband, we don't think he is the issue, always seems pleasant) was home, and I noticed he never even closed their half open sliding door right above us.  So that's a good sign.  Wind and a strategically placed fan did a pretty good job of carrying it out and away from the building pretty quickly.

Still concerned with the "burning wood" versus cooking food odor, especially on start up.  Threw on some garlic, bacon drippings, and onions on a tinfoil bowl on the grill, and that did not seem to provide much cover scent until a good 20 minutes in.  Going to have to work on that.  Maybe a single burner camp stove and pan loaded up with garlic, bacon grease, and onions about 15 minutes prior to start up may do the trick!

Did have the W's family over on Saturday.  About 2pm, he and I were sitting out on balcony, talking to the W's just inside.  Not being loud, though he is admittedly not the quietest speaker around due to hearing loss after 2 tours in Afghanistan.  But it was just normal conversation.  He saw a shadow, and looked up to see the witch from upstairs leaning over her balcony scowling down at him, trying to look into our area.   This woman needs to go back on whatever meds she took herself off of. 
  • #14 by grilltreats on 12 Jun 2018

• Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Start squeaking louder than her.

Pages:
Actions