Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Dave R. on 10 Jun 2018
  • I'm curious if anyone here has or has used an electric trailer dolly? We made an offer on a home that in order for me to get our boat into the garage I will need to unhook it from my truck and then use a dolly to back the trailer in the door. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate hearing them.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 10 Jun 2018
  • No experience there but have seen them, seem to work slick. I use our riding mower with trailer ball.
  • #3 by Dave R. on 10 Jun 2018
  • No experience there but have seen them, seem to work slick. I use our riding mower with trailer ball.

I do have a riding lawn mower but the tongue weight would very likely overwhelm the mower, not to mention the ball height on the mower is so low I don't think I could get the couple down far enough. I didn't describe the object that I need to move so can understand and appreciate the suggestion. Thanks
  • #4 by tewharaunz on 10 Jun 2018
  • I’m not sure if it would help in your situation, but I put a receiver hitch on the front of my truck.

Without it, we couldn’t get our trailer sailer up/down the drive, but another benefit is that my wife is happy to launch/retrieve at the boat ramp.

Cheers, David
  • #5 by hughver on 10 Jun 2018
  • I’m not sure if it would help in your situation, but I put a receiver hitch on the front of my truck.

Without it, we couldn’t get our trailer sailer up/down the drive, but another benefit is that my wife is happy to launch/retrieve at the boat ramp.

Cheers, David

Great suggestion, in my early years of boating I used this method all of the time.
  • #6 by Dave R. on 11 Jun 2018

Cheers, David

I could have been more descriptive I suppose. The problem I face is the garage is at a 90* angle from the driveway. In other words once in the driveway we will need to make a 90* turn to enter the garage. Even though the driveway is pretty wide, the length of the truck and the boat (38+ ft.) limits how I can back or push in the boat. I also have a 20' enclosed trailer I may park in the garage as it is roughly 34' deep.
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 11 Jun 2018
  • I think I would find a different house
  • #8 by Dave R. on 11 Jun 2018
  • I think I would find a different house
    Why? It's a minor issue so you suggest we should spend countless more hours trying to find one that the boat fits in? I'm sorry but I fail to understand this logic.
  • #9 by Trooper on 11 Jun 2018
  • Whoa! I think you might've taken smokinhandyman a little more serious than he was trying to be. I thought he was just trying to add a little humor into this topic.

Nonetheless, you (I'm sure you already have) should search 'electric trailer dolly' and read the reviews for the equipment that seems to suit you best. Then check with dealers that sell them and ask for their input. I would think that chances of finding someone on this forum that owns one would be quite slim.

• #10 by bucky919 on 11 Jun 2018
  • Sounds like a good excuse, for a bigger mower, ATV, UTV or a skid steer.  :cool:
  • #11 by SmokinHandyman on 11 Jun 2018
  • Whoa! I think you might've taken smokinhandyman a little more serious than he was trying to be. I thought he was just trying to add a little humor into this topic.

Exactly, sorry to offend you.
  • #12 by Mudflap on 11 Jun 2018
  • I have used electric pallet jacks at work. They are easy to use. I would think they would drive similarly. Do you have incline? That would be one thing to look into if you have to move the boat up hill. Make sure it is rated for slops. Don't want a runaway boat. Man if you have the $$$$ there is a cool remote controlled one....To much for me.

I would stop by High end boat dealer and ask them. I think most use a fork truck but they may know of people that have one.

If you get one post your results please. I could use one also if not to much. I have 3 boats and could maneuver them into the space that I park 2 in today. Wife  :cool: would like to get the 3rd out of the driveway.

Mudflap
  • #13 by Bobitis on 11 Jun 2018
  • Aerogo is one of my customers. I'm sure they could help, if yer independently wealthy. They make some pretty incredible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRql1fjZQf0

• #14 by Dave R. on 12 Jun 2018

Exactly, sorry to offend you.

No problem. I think I was the one a little off base there. Please accept my apology. I don't always know when it is meant to be funny or not. One of the tough things about electronic conversations.
  • #15 by Dave R. on 12 Jun 2018
  • Aerogo is one of my customers. I'm sure they could help, if yer independently wealthy. They make some pretty incredible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRql1fjZQf0

Yea those are pretty neat. i actually used one a few years ago to move an electrical transformer weighing in at around 15,000 pounds. Once on the air pads you could move it with a single finger.
Pages:
Actions