Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SparkyLB on 08 Jun 2018
  • I've always been a fan of Tony Bourdain.  My job as an Apprenticeship Instructor has me saying often, things like, "if you don't love what you're doing, RUN!!"

I tell my students, "It's NOT about money.  If you wake up in the morning hating what you do; then you need to find something you love."

I have a long history of jobs.  I have more degrees than a thermometer, and I don't say this to boast.  Every job I had involved difficulty in attaining.  All those high pressure, high leather-backed chaired jobs I hated with my soul.  Yes, I worked HARD for them, but never enjoyed any of them. 

I'm gonna get philosophical on a BBQ forum. 

I never loved a job until I became what I do now.  I bust my xxx physically.  I do those things that people who acquire age generally move away from. 

I'm here to tell you: "It's NOT about the money!"  If money made people happy, then Kurt Kobain, Anthony Bourdain, Robin Williams, would still be around.  Think.  What do these celebrities have in common?  They all had ALL the money in the world.  They all took their own lives.  It's pretty clear to me that it ain't money. 

I loved Tony Bourdain.  He battled some of the same demons as we all do.  He was an admitted heroin/cocaine addict, and made it through.  Why he took his life will be unknown to those of us who live outside his circle--but let's be clear: life is worth living.  That's all I got. 

I'll miss you, Tony.  Quite the shock today. 
  • #2 by Bentley on 08 Jun 2018
  • Never loved any job I worked at, and it was about the money, only reason I worked...I did not want to live in a sack under a freeway underpass.

As you said, we all have demons.  I am Clean & Sober 12 years...it has never dawned on me in that time that I could go use heroin because it was not my drug of choice.  Tony drank, and to the best of my knowledge, if you are an addict, you are an addict!  I don't think he, like may addicts, no matter what there drug of choice is...including alcohol gets that!  I guarantee if I do a line of coke tonight, it will be followed buy a 1/2 gallon of whiskie! And knowing my past I will be dead or in jail in 48 hours! 

Loss of life is a terrible thing, money is not the issue, if you are not happy, you are not happy.  I guess I just see an 11 year old without a father now, and that xxxxxx me off more then someone taking a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

I've always been a fan of Tony Bourdain.  My job as an Apprenticeship Instructor has me saying often, things like, "if you don't love what you're doing, RUN!

He battled some of the same demons as we all do.  He was an admitted heroin/cocaine addict, and made it through.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Jun 2018
  • Guess I was never a Bourdain fan and I watched his show for years.  Just seemed to me he was always full of himself and acting like his thoughts and point of view and philosophy of life was the best and the right one.  He apparently LOVED what he did and yet,here he is, dead, it seems by his own hand.  Meh, so much for loving what you do. Kate Spade also loved what she did. Doesn't seem to be the way to go to be happy and content..

I was a litigator for 30 years in Los Angeles.  Never loved the job -- sometimes liked the job, sometimes disliked the job.  Selected the job because I knew I could do it well and make a lot of money.  Was excellent at the job, had a lot of clients, and made a lot of money.  As a result, I retired at 56 and get to live where I like and do what I like.  So yeah, money has made me happy. So much for one size fits all sayings. 

I also have a strong Christian faith which has served me better than any drug of his choice and apparently has made me much more balanced and happy as a person. 
  • #4 by dk117 on 08 Jun 2018
  • I wasn't a big fan.  Though I suspect I would have enjoyed a trip, meal and drink with the guy. 

Bourdain told Wealthsimple in March 2017 that "the reports of my net worth are about ten times overstated" though. "I think the people who calculate these things assume that I live a lot more sensibly than I do," he said.

It's always about the money and the addiction.  It would be nice if it weren't but it always is.   Not everyone can have their dream job and be free of addiction.  In my experience it's a myth. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #5 by Bobitis on 08 Jun 2018
  • I loved the show until he started infusing his commentary with political asides.

The last straw was him in Seattle smoking a doobie. Really Anthony? Yes, it's legal. But, really?

Fair winds and following seas be with you.
  • #6 by Dave R. on 09 Jun 2018
  • In todays world I personally couldn't give a rats behind about any so called celebrity, including those in professional sports. The thing about the majority of them is they think they are superior to the rest of the flock. Sad about anyone passing away especially suicide but to dwell on it isn't going to happen in this house unless it is close family member or friend. Too much of that happening as it is. Sorry
  • #7 by pmillen on 09 Jun 2018
  • Spade and Bourdain...I didn't recognize either name so the news didn't mean much to me.  But I'm low on empathy.  It's more of a tragedy as it gets closer to home.

In 1983 Russia was systematically killing the Afghanistan male population, including booby trapping toys to kill children.  The USA didn't much care.  In September 1983, Russia shot down an off-course Korean airliner.  We almost went to war because there were two Americans aboard.  Closer to home.
  • #8 by silverbullet on 11 Jun 2018
  • Never loved any job I worked at, and it was about the money, only reason I worked...I did not want to live in a sack under a freeway underpass.

As you said, we all have demons.  I am Clean & Sober 12 years...it has never dawned on me in that time that I could go use heroin because it was not my drug of choice.  Tony drank, and to the best of my knowledge, if you are an addict, you are an addict!  I don't think he, like may addicts, no matter what there drug of choice is...including alcohol gets that!  I guarantee if I do a line of coke tonight, it will be followed buy a 1/2 gallon of whiskie! And knowing my past I will be dead or in jail in 48 hours! 

Loss of life is a terrible thing, money is not the issue, if you are not happy, you are not happy.  I guess I just see an 11 year old without a father now, and that xxxxxx me off more then someone taking a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

I've always been a fan of Tony Bourdain.  My job as an Apprenticeship Instructor has me saying often, things like, "if you don't love what you're doing, RUN!

He battled some of the same demons as we all do.  He was an admitted heroin/cocaine addict, and made it through.

Sorry Sparky I don't buy it. A true to heart person recognizes their Demons & figures out a way to beat them head on. Why can I say that? because I've been there done that. Clean & Sober 29 years. My own Daughters never believed I could do it.

Sad for an 11 year old to have to lose a parent in this manner. Some through life thinking what part they may of had in this. That artificial guilt some folks live with never leaves in some cases.
  • #9 by hughver on 12 Jun 2018
  • I also do not agree, I love to play golf, boat, travel, etc., but lacking a benefactor, the reality of it is that you do what you have to do to survive in your surroundings, love it or not.
  • #10 by Trooper on 15 Jun 2018
  • I also have a strong Christian faith which has served me better than any drug of his choice and apparently has made me much more balanced and happy as a person.

That, pretty much says it all
Pages:
Actions