Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BC Buck on 10 Jun 2018
  • Bought Camp Cheff SG in April. Had big temp swings and occasional flame out problems.Had bad RTD and also replaced controller. Been running good last couple weeks. One big mistake I made today was telling myself this thing is running great. Ten hours into smoking a butt and it flamed out. No wind or temp changes just burned out. I dont know how I would send this think back to manufacture without box. >:(
  • #2 by Bentley on 10 Jun 2018
  • So no cavitation of pellets in hopper, just stopped feeding pellets into the combustion chamber after 10 hours?
  • #3 by BC Buck on 10 Jun 2018
  • So no cavitation of pellets in hopper, just stopped feeding pellets into the combustion chamber after 10 hours?

I dont feel pellets bridging off is the problem. Pulled ash clean out and cup was about 1/4 full of ash and 3/4 full of unburnt pellets. Turned controller off then on and started normally.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jun 2018
  • Pellets are not getting enough air to burn clean leaving too much ash then choking itself causing pellet run.  What brand of pellets are you using?  Where is your chimney cap set? Can you hear the fan running blowing air into the fire pot?
  • #5 by Ross77 on 10 Jun 2018
  • No flame outs in almost 2 years. 
  • #6 by Finn on 10 Jun 2018
  • Never had a flame out on my Camp Chef DLX. I have used it weekly three plus years.
  • #7 by ScottE on 10 Jun 2018
  • My Traeger has never once flamed out - bought it in 2003.
    My Louisiana Grills flamed out constantly until Dansons support had me change parameters that fix that problem, but introduce others.
    My Camp Chef only has about 10 hours on it. It flamed out once on Lo Smoke, but I don't yet have enough experience on it to decide if it was a fluke.
  • #8 by bregent on 11 Jun 2018
  • I had the same problem with my DLX. Just curious, did you add a gasket to the door?
  • #9 by BC Buck on 11 Jun 2018
  • I had the same problem with my DLX. Just curious, did you add a gasket to the door?

No.
  • #10 by BC Buck on 11 Jun 2018
  • Pellets are not getting enough air to burn clean leaving too much ash then choking itself causing pellet run.  What brand of pellets are you using?  Where is your chimney cap set? Can you hear the fan running blowing air into the fire pot?
    I did not clean the ash cup before the cook. I will before next long cook. Every time I do there is only small amount of ash because fan blows majority of it out. I was using Lumberjack competition and chimney cap is just about wide open.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 11 Jun 2018

• Traeger Lil Tex, twice. In smoke mode. Fire pot hadn't been cleaned - 20 plus # of pellets burnt...Next time the "P" setting was set too low (long pause time). That was a few years back.

Memphis Pro - never, in over a years use with some very long smoke times... The pit has an automatic relight feature that is temperature driven...I clean the fire pot after each use - every time.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jun 2018
    I did not clean the ash cup before the cook. I will before next long cook. Every time I do there is only small amount of ash because fan blows majority of it out. I was using Lumberjack competition and chimney cap is just about wide open.

If you can, buy a bag of cookinpellets.  They seem to generate the least amount of ash of any of the pellets I have used.  Lumberjack has been stated by others to create a lot of ash because they use bark in their pellets.  Pros - generates more smoke.  Cons - generates more ash and when the air holes in the fire pot are covered with ash it chokes out the fire.
  • #13 by Dave R. on 11 Jun 2018
  • My MAK 2 star has had a flame out twice. The first time it was me, the second well thats up for debate. If it happens again I will contact MAK and see if we can figure it out.
  • #14 by Conumdrum on 11 Jun 2018
  • None on the Yoder YS640.  I have always cleaned the burn pot every time before any cook.  I have run it 16 hours and burn pot was ohh 1/3 full of ash etc.
    I have been using Lumberjack blends since I got the smoker.
  • #15 by ylr on 11 Jun 2018
  • My PB 820 did once, but it was 0 degrees outside.........
Pages:
Actions